SASS Wire Forum

Two LP Brands that Ignite Primers with Reduced Main Springs

John Boy

Background:

After close to 15,000 BP rounds shot in my favorite Rossi M92 that is slicked up, started getting light primer hits - about 20% of the reloads with CCI 300 LP's.

* Fired some CCI LP's in stock Vaquaro - measured primer indent with hardness tester = 0.070

* Cleaned the internals and fired more CCP LP's in the Rossi - measured primer indent with hardness tester = 0,032 indent

* Put shims between the hammer and firing pin to determine if the hammer face needed to be filed to squarely hit the pin. No Go igniting the primers

So, added a 0.030 shim to the main spring and started testing multiple brands of LP primers ... CCI 300, S&B LP, Winchester LP, Remington 2 1/2 LP and Federal LP's. Only 2 brands ignited the primers

Yes, as with common knowledge, the Federal LP's ignited 6 in a row, But ... Remington 2 1/2's also ignited 6 in a row

So, in the future for the Dillon 550B primer tubes they will charged with either the Federal or Remington's for use in the Rossi. Now I have to mark all the reload boxes with the CCI 300's and use them in the stock revolvers or in the other levers that are stock

JB, you have confirmed the there is no interference with the hammer fall in the rifle, 'rite'?

Could it be a HS issue with the rifle? Have you ck'd the OAL of the FP with a new one?

Is the 92's hammer spring a flat spring or coil? Bet the spring has taken a 'set'.

OLG

Grits ...

* No interference with the hammer fall IN the rifle

* Believe the main spring was giving up the ghost. That's why I shimed it

* No, I did not measure the firing pin nor have I spent $45 for a new one. Did compare the extended length to another Rossi - looked to be the same

* Rossi main springs are coil

Marauder:

I'm guessing but the shortened main spring when I slicked the rifle has maybe 5000 or so rounds working the hammer

I shoot Rossi 92s.

When I start getting light primer hits, it usually turns out to be a broken firing pin, free floating in the bolt block.

If it is used in this condition for any length of time, the firing pin will peen at the break from repeated strikes and can get to the point the firing pin will not come out of the bolt with out a lot of work.

The break is usually where the firing pin is notched for the breech bolt locks.

Being that CCI and Federal primers are now being made in the same building here in Minnesota, and have been for a couple years now, I find it hard to believe that they would manufacture to 2 different specs. I would question the main spring as being what Lumpy Grits called "taking a set."

I shoot Rossi 92s.

When I start getting light primer hits, it usually turns out to be a broken firing pin, free floating in the bolt block.

If it is used in this condition for any length of time, the firing pin will peen at the break from repeated strikes and can get to the point the firing pin will not come out of the bolt with out a lot of work.

The break is usually where the firing pin is notched for the breech bolt locks.

If the Rossi FP is not broke in the middle (the thin part) check for adequate tip protrusion. you should see at least .030"

'

Being that CCI and Federal primers are now being made in the same building here in Minnesota, and have been for a couple years now,

News to me:

CCI - Lewiston, ID

Federal - Anoka, MN

If the Rossi FP is not broke in the middle (the thin part) check for adequate tip protrusion. you should see at least .030

Guess my pin is not broken. I checked the morning with magnets:

Cleaned the internals and fired more CCP LP's in the Rossi - measured primer indent with hardness tester = 0,032 indent.

Haven't measured the primer indents for the Remington & Federal primers that ignited - but will!

Archived