SASS Wire Forum

Thoughts on .32 H&R Magnum

DocWard

We had a used S&W J-Frame come into the store today in .32 H&R Magnum. Like new condition. The first thing I thought was it would be a great little firearm for Mrs. Doc to carry. Despite many efforts, she has difficulty working the slide on most semi-autos. At one point, her father had a Chief's Special and she liked it enough that she has mentioned it to me. Of course, the 36 is difficult to find and expensive. I think the recoil on the .32 would be more controllable, and add an extra round in the cylinder. I know the round is virtually obsolete, having never caught on, but ammo is available, including personal defense rounds, so I thought it might be an idea.

Thoughts?

To my knownledge the S&Ws are the hardest to find and the most desireable. Is it a model 16 or the 631. At any rate I haven't found either for less than $800. Have seen a couple that are near $2000. I love the round. I have a pair of Rugers and a 94 marlin in 32 h&r. What is the asking price? If reasonable, I would jump on it

The 16 is a K. He said it's a J.

I have both the 331 with a hammer

wm_7240231.jpg

and 332 hammerless.

1_pistols_smith_and_wesson_air_lite_ti_r

These are the "Air Lites", with the aluminum frames and titanium cylinders and steel barrel liners inside a Ti shroud.

With my (admittedly hot) 32 S&W Long loads, they are a bit feisty in your hand. With Federal's 32 H&R hollowpoint loads, they are kinda rambunctious.

Smith also made, as I understand, the 430-series, with an aluminum frame and a steel cylinder and barrel, and the 630-series, with a steel frame.

Either of these would be more fun to shoot, although the steel-framed ones would probably be a tad heavy for concealed carry.

Don't forget the Ruger Single-Six for us cowboy types. It is a great fun round from the Single-Six.

The 32 Magnum is one of what I consider to be a very good idea that for some reason has never really caught on. I think it is a great round for the Women's gun market. Reduced recoil with the added advantage of a extra round with a serious self-defense round.

Actually there are a good selection of commercial ammunition. For self-defense Hornady Critical Defense is a excellent self defense round. I have never tried them yet but Federal 95 gr. JHP @ 1100 fps., 218 ft. lbs., Champion 95 gr. LSWC @ 1030 fps., 224 ft. lbs. and Buffalo Bore JHP+P @1300 fps., 375 ft. lbs.

The 32 magnum is a easy cartridge to reload. It is basically a straight version of the 32-20 which means no case lubing with carbide dies.

While commercial ammo is harder to find in stores the Internet is only as far as your fingertips. Midway lists 14 different brands. Brass is available from Starline. As I shoot 95% cast lead bullets in all of my handguns I have not experimented with JHP's. I use the Hornady Critical Defense.

Thanks Alpo I never even thought about those and I'm not well versed in the different frames. You think it shows. Lol

While I would love to get my daughter set up with some Single Sixes, and wouldn't mind having one myself, they aren't ideal for concealed carry.

Taurus makes their 85 size revolver in .32Mag, and Charter makes the Undercoverette.

The Smith & Wesson is sitting in the vault at the store, waiting for me to decide, though. No need to order, wait and all that. I've been more curious about thoughts about the round itself.

As I said, I shoot hot 32 S&W Longs in mine, mainly because I had a large amout of Long brass. I shoot the same things in my Single Sixes. Had these guns around ten years, and probably have not put a total of fifty rounds of H&R through the four of them.

You would have to look at forensic evidence to know how it actually performs and I doubt there is much of that on the 32 mag.

You can compare it to the best .32 ACP loads and it will handle the heaviest bullets at 200+ fps higher velocities. I'd expect it to be pretty damn effective.

Here is a chart that might prove interesting

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

I had a .32 Magnum years ago. I got rid of it because I could never find ammo for it and I didn't reload at the time, but I never reload defense rounds and defense rounds were the hardest to find for that .32.

I worked as a forestry intern in Brunswick, GA in 1986. We were expected to wear snake chaps and carry a pistol for rattlesnakes. I started out with Dad's High Standard .22 until I saw an adult bellycrawler. I needed an upgrade.

About that time Dick Metcalf was writing every month in Shooting Times about the .32 H&R mag. The standard Federal 85 grain HP was loaded to around 1000 fps for the H&R and Charter Arms pistols but the Ruger SA and T/C Contender could be safely loaded with H-110 up to 1400 fps. I bought one and knew I had a real gem.

That gun is long gone. Now I have a S&W 342PD Centennial that I carry routinely with 90 grain loads at 1150 fps. It shoots soda can groups at 20 yards and has reasknable recoil. This is more of a carry gun than a range gun, but I cannot imagine ever getting rid of it.

It can also shoot .32 S&W long, .32 S&W short and .32 ACP, a semi-rimmed round.

Archived