SASS Wire Forum

A Colt, a Sig Sauer and a Wilson 1911 went to the range

Trigger Mike

i had an opportunity to try out a Wilson CQB Bill Wilson Commander, a Colt Light weight commander and a Sig Government night ops . The guy even had wilson 160 grain ammo made for 4 inch barrel and PMC and Georgia Arms ammo.

here are the results:

The Colt pattern was far apart and really low of the target until 7 yards then it got better. definitely not near as good as the other two.

the Sig was spot on and fairly tight groups.

The Wilson was spot on and tighter than the other two. A more solid feel. all three were reliable. if you put 230 grain in the Wilson the sound almost thundered as it went off. I can see the hubbub around Wilson, but the Sig was fairly close in my mind.

I did shoot the Colt and the Wilson at some weeds and both shot them down. The Wilson more often than the Colt. The Colt struggled to shoot down a wooden bush but the wilson shot through a 1 inch tree and cut it down.

Bill Wilson didn't build his reputation by making mediocre products. I've known him over 45 years. Before he started in the gun business. A quality product at a reasonable price. Another nice thing is that you can get a good resale when your days are over.

1. Which one felt the best in your hands?

2. Which one looked the best to your eye?

3. Which one gave you the most confidence?

4. Which one did you like best overall?

Thanks!

1. Which one felt the best in your hands? the Wilson was smoother to feel in my hand and softer and easier to hold. the sig has more rough grips

2. Which one looked the best to your eye? the wilson finish was better though the colt was stainless

3. Which one gave you the most confidence? the wilson and the sig equally

4. Which one did you like best overall? the wilson but sig was a close second.

All in all the Sig 1911 was equally accurate but rougher finish. the colt is good but just not as good and it feels that way as well. if I owned all 3 Id likely sell the colt but it'd be a toss up between the other 2.

One thing to keep in mind is the Sig and the Wilson are both steel frame the Colt Lightweight is an alloy frame. It's lighter and it will have more felt recoil. The tradeoff is the few ounces in weight do make a difference after a day with the pistol on your belt.

If it's a range gun or you don't mind the extra weight, the steel frame guns are superb. If you're carrying every day for any length of time, the lighter weight is to be considered. Just depends on what the firearm is intended to do. I have a Kimber lightweight "Pro" (commander size) and it is accurate and easy to carry.

Nice range report and thank you for sharing

GS

I will add I was always happy with the Colt until I shot the Wilson. I always felt it could do better but was content. I always liked the Sig but it always seemed uncomfortable because of the grips. now I have Wilson on the brain and am trying to figure out how to afford one

From my experience, Wilson Combat 1911 handguns are generally superior to the Colt and Sig in every way. I have had one or two Colts pass through my hands that were more than outstanding and I wished I owned those particular examples. And those were factory examples, not tuned beyond the factory in any way.

I might disagree a little with the statement made that Wilson products are quality at a REASONABLE price however. But I suppose it all depends on what one can afford. Most people I know cannot afford a Wilson. But Wilsons are definitely quality, top quality at that.

Colt also makes a high quality 1911. Not quite as refined as a Wilson but certainly more than adequate for most people. And as far as resale is concerned, be Colt will sell much quicker than a Wilson in most gun circles.

I think one of the best examples of a Colt lightweight Commander was the Wiley Clapp model they came out with several years ago. Very well done in all aspects. Very hard to beat what Colt did with this lightweight Commander from the factory. An outstanding example of Colt quality and workmanship.

The Sig 1911s I have handled were OK at best although aesthetically some of them were pretty exciting. If I'm going to shoot a Sig I would prefer it be a P226 or P220 non 1911 model.

In my opinion I'd rather deal with Les Baer than Bill Wilson. Baer makes a better pistol, but it is very, very boring to target shoot with. Wilson doesn't have a good rep as a person. Especially with all the idpa drama. Ever heard expression "It isn't legal because Wilson doesn't make one."???

Realistically the Sig is the best deal for the money of all the mentioned. I once shot a C3 that was as accurate as the higher end guns.

Putting personal feelings aside since I have known Les Baer, Bill Wilson, and Ed Brown all over the years my opinion of their pistols is as follows: Most Accurate but finicky: Les Baer. Prettiest: Ed Brown. Most reliable: Bill Wilson

There are more accurate pistols available, nicer looking pistols available, and possibly more reliable ones but the nice thing about investing in any of these three is that you get a top shelf firearm and since the companies are well known resale is easier.

Others might feel differently. JMHO after 50 years in the 1911 business.

I had a Colt Lightweight Commander made in the mid 80s. It was one of the first alloy frame production 1911s from Colt. It was easier to carry than the fullsize steel frame 1911 but was not reliable with all loads.

A Colt Gold Cup would have been a better contender against that Wilson and Sig.

Carolina. You have no idea what you are talking about concerning Bill Wilson. There is not one IDPA division that requires the use of anything Wilson makes. Even their .45 division CDP allows allows glocks, m&ps and other double stack guns. Try talking about something you actually know about, if you can come up with something. Yeah, he really has a terrible reputation in the gun world. Sheesh. Smokin Gator

Well, I am still on my first cup of coffee, so maybe my judgment isn't what it is supposed to be, but I read Carolina Gunslinger's quoted line "it isn't legal because..." as being sarcastic or tongue-in-cheek. Having then read a somewhat over the top response, and not having a clue on the subject myself, I decided to do a quick Google search for "Bill Wilson IDPA." One of the hits on the first page, http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-151381.html, made it appear that CG at least has a clue what he is talking about.

Doc. Yes. There are other people who wrongly assume things and have complaints about IDPA rules. That link is over 10 years old. You always have some complainers, just like people complain about SASS . But the idea that Bill Wilson has this terrible reputation within the gun industry is false.

The provided link talks about him competing in stock service revolver and speedloaders when that was a new division separating them from moon clip guns. Big deal. Both divisions were available for everyone and the members wanted that new division. But it allowed someone to complain, "Bill changed the rule to suit him".

Wilson doesn't even primarily build 1911's for competition. Some of their models are IDPA legal and some aren't. Smokin Gator

Personally, I took the "it's not legal..." to be right up there with "if John Wayne did it, it's legal".

Maybe you don't hear that so much lately, but ten years ago it was a very common comment.

I always thought that was meant jokingly. Buuuut, I reckon there's folks that got all upset about that, too.

As I mentioned earlier, I've known Bill and Joyce for a LOOOONG time. They are both fine people. Bill didn't change any rules to help his company. I should know bout IDPA. I am a Charter Life Member # 122.

Archived