SASS Wire Forum

Ammo Regs, from the California Waterfowl Association

Just received this in an email from the CWA. (Please avoid any political discussion here; I'm posting this as an informational item only.)

Any residents or non-residents intending to hunt or "target shoot" in California need to take heed:

Q & A on the impacts of California SB 1235, the Ammo Registration Bill

About SB 1235, the ammo regulation bill that was signed into law last week:

While some of the details of SB 1235 implementation are still unclear and may need to be further worked out by the Department of Justice or subsequent legislation, we've gotten more from legislative staff on details of the bill.
Please note that if Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom's gun control initiative passes, it could further affect implementation and make things even more difficult for hunters and other sportsmen when buying or transferring ammunition.
SB 1235 effectively bans online ammunition purchases starting Jan. 1, 2017.
It requires ammunition vendor licensing, with the process to start next spring and all vendors required to be licensed by Jan. 1, 2018.
Starting July 1, 2019, all ammunition buyers must pass background checks at a cost of $1 per transaction, a fee that can increase at the rate of inflation. Also starting July 1, 2019, hunters may not bring into the state more than 50 rounds of ammunition purchased out of state, and only if it was the type of ammunition used on the hunting trip.
Here are answers to other questions you may have about the new law, particularly the provisions on importing ammunition:
Q: What if you want to bring back more than 50 rounds purchased out of state?
A: You'll have to ship it to a vendor in state and go through the background check procedure to pick it up.
Q: What if you hunt just inside the California border but stay with a friend or in a hotel on the Oregon, Nevada or Arizona side of the border?
A: You can cross the border with ammunition that you purchased in California.
Q: What about friends sharing or selling ammo to one another?
A: Giving one another shells does not require a background check. You can sell shells to a friend without a background check provided you don't sell more than 50 rounds a month.
Q: How can I prove the ammo I'm bringing across the border was purchased in California?
A: Keep it in its original packaging - it is tracked.
Q: What about residents of neighboring states - Oregon, Nevada and Arizona - who frequently cross the border to hunt in California? Will the California background check system work for that?
A: Non-residents will be able to get a "day pass" that allows them to buy ammunition in California.
Q: The background check system is based on purchases in California of handguns or long guns since 2014. What if you aren't in that system?
A: You can register one gun with the California Dept. of Justice for $19. If you have a valid hunting license, you don't need a Firearm or Handgun Safety Certificate.
Q: Does any part of this law apply to reloading components?
A: No.

Sounds like that's going to put a serious crimp on IPSC, CAS, Trap, Skeet and other shooting sports where you will use numerous rounds at an event.

Good luck to all our Cali pards.

Hardpan,

Thanks for the update.

Is there specific information on how the background check will work on ammo?

Will you get issued a card?

Will they run a background check and clear you on the spot?

Are there quantity limitations on purchasing ammo?

Thanks in advance for your response,

Left Eye Bobbyb

Thanks, Calamity.

The only good part (and it's a stretch... likely a temporary situation, unfortunately) is the last item. :wacko:

Thanks, Calamity.

The only good part (and it's a stretch... likely a temporary situation, unfortunately) is the last item. :wacko:

If it's the typical Kalifornia approach it will gush red ink and accomplish little except give more people who can't get jobs in the private sector, jobs that pay well, have huge benefits and stick taxpayers with another state agency to pay for. If anyone thinks that they'll be happy with $1.00 per transaction, you're dreaming.

Zolas, there are still a bunch of unanswered questions; as they say in the comics, "Stay Tooned!"

Now... in this state you're required to have a Firearms Safety Certificate to buy any gun. Used to be only for handguns, but some nimrod in the legislature decided a few years ago that golly gee, we need one for ANY gun purchase. In fact, I hope to buy an AR lower this weekend; although I've been a shooter for over fifty years and shot competitively since my middle teens, I'll still need to plunk down some $$ and pass a "safety exam" first. I have one for handguns from before the new requirement, but it won't work for long guns. Oh... and they expire after five years.

Anyway, as I understand it - and I may be off base - you'll have to present your card to buy ammo, pay the one buck fee, and have it recorded somehow. I wouldn't be surprised to see it eventually somehow incorporated into the driver's license database; our hunting and fishing licenses are.

This is going to play havoc on anyone who forgets to bring enough ammo to a match. And is likely to be a regular pain in the [insert name of appropriate body part here] for shooters visiting from out-of-state. Thankfully, EOT is now in a more sensible place.

And by the way... Yul has it pegged.

Beware, everything seems to start in California! I take this as a warning to closely watch the progressives in my state. BTW. Those seem to be a lot of confusing laws. Difficult for law enforcement. I see many problems ahead for you Hardpan. Wow! We leave in interesting times to say the lest. Time for a good ole Kentucky bourbon and a beer. Whew

Reading through the "Bill", it mostly references ammo purchases used for hunting. It notes that only 50 rounds of ammo can be brought into the state for hunting purposes. So, what if I'm going to a CAS two day match that typically has 120 revolver/120 rifle/40+ shotgun ammo requirements?? And since I reload, nothing is in "original packaging".

We'll have to see where all this lands,

Barry Sloe

How long before total gun confiscation starts in Kalifornia? Ya'll know it's coming, don't ya? It's their ultimate goal.

How long before total gun confiscation starts in Kalifornia? Ya'll know it's coming, don't ya? It's their ultimate goal.

What guns? :rolleyes:

And have y'all seen the picture of the fella holding the sign that sez "My guns aren't illegal... they're undocumented!" ^_^

Archived