SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Rifle Question

Crooked Creek Sam

I have been in the sport of Cowboy Action for almost a year now. I am looking to get into the Long Range Shooting. I don't have a rifle yet but looking for the best economical long range rifle to purchase.

I have owned a sharps and a trapdoor in the past and loved shooting both. Both were 45-70 caliber. I am looking at Sharps, Rolling Block, and the High Wall.

Any of you folks have a personal preference?

Thanks!

Chevy or Ford? Lots of opinions, personally I like my Highwall in 38-55, I had a couple of 45-70's, but after shooting my buddies 38-55 I liked the lesser recoil lots more. I've shot some matches were you shot 25 or more rounds and it beat me up too bad. Don't skimp on sights or you'll waste your money on a good rifle.

Pedersoli Sharps or Rolling Block with good sights are a great way go. Get the be best sights you can afford. Lee Shaver's Econo sight will make you very competitive.

Tater

I would go with a Sharps or Remington. I don't like the High Walls, mostly because it came along later.

I would go with the 40/65. It is a good round between the 45/70 and 38/55.

Have been at a shoot when the targets had to fall. The 38/55 won't knock down heavy targets.

If you are shooting 200 yards, you will probably be shooting off hand some. The sharps has the slowest locktime by design. Shoot a high wall or rolling block. Many places have turned long range into a speed event anyway. 200 yards would be about the distance your bullet would stabilize.

Highwall in .40-65 works great out to and beyond 1,100 yards ...

I have .38-55s and .45-70s but much prefer the .40-65 !!!

More power than the .38-55, less wind drift,bullet drop and recoil than the .45-70 ...

Jabez Cowboy

I have been in the sport of Cowboy Action for almost a year now. I am looking to get into the Long Range Shooting. I don't have a rifle yet but looking for the best economical long range rifle to purchase.

I have owned a sharps and a trapdoor in the past and loved shooting both. Both were 45-70 caliber. I am looking at Sharps, Rolling Block, and the High Wall.

Any of you folks have a personal preference?

Thanks!

I've shot long range for years now, with distances ranging from 100 yards out to 1200 yards. I have single shots rifles in calibers ranging from 32-40 up to 45-90, in H&R, rolling blocks, highwalls, hepburns and sharps. Don’t mess with the H&R rifles for long range. Whatever gun you get, be sure to buy high quality Soule sight to go with it. If the max range you’ll shoot is 600 yards or less, then 40-65 would be my pick (browning made some very nice highwalls with badger barrels in this caliber). I have seen some excellent off hand shooting done with sharps (200 meter chickens in BPCR silhouette matches). A larger caliber gun will shoot short distances just a good as smaller one. Howver, smaller caliber bullets just don’t hold up as good as larger ones when shooting at the longer ranges. Wind, among other things, becomes a big problem for the smaller bullets.

Unless you are willing to be VERY meticulous in loading your ammo, it doesn't really matter what rifle or sights you use out past about 200 yds (at least for a 45-70) at longer distances you are basically lobbing the bullet in, so even a slight variation in powder charge is going to make a couple foot difference in where bullet hits. Its not like loading up a bunch of 38sp to shoot 15 yards with! That being said, 45-70 can be very accurate waaaay out there, if you have good sights, stable platform, and consistent ammo. I'm not really that willing to measure my powder that exact! But at 100-200 yards, its not hard to load ammo that will do the job, and it is fun to hear the boom, see the target move, then hear the clang.

Sam, have all of the mentioned rifles including Trapdoors - some observations based on handling:

* Sharps - 1000 yd target rifle

* Rolling Block - 500m Silhouette & 1000yd Target rifle

* HighWall - 500m Silhouette rifle

* Trapdoor - unless it has a Buffington sight for better accuracy... an all round fun rifle for all of the above

I have a 38-55 h&r but it has ejectors so no longer legal for long range. So I need a rifle in case I learn to shoot distances. I have a Ruger precision rifle for modern long range shooting and it's much better than I am. I'm using mil spec ammo in it currently and know if I was going to compete I would need to load my own. Which long range CAS gun can be used by a southpaw?

Archived