SASS Wire Forum

Sticky 73 - thoughts? PROBLEM SOLVED Update post 73

Hurricane Deck 100366

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the extractors in yesterday. We're pre-shooting for Land Run this weekend, so it's taken longer that expected to get one installed. Meanwhile, we shot preshoot sharing two rifles between us and it worked fine.

I had the chance to compare the new extractor to the one I pulled out and they were very close to the same specs. the new one needed to be tuned, but it was not a major job. As an interesting note, the new extractors come with a roll pin instead of a solid pin. The pin was too long and required more time to fit that the extractor itself.

one installed, I quickly discovered that it made absolutely zero difference. For those that wonder, yes. I am absolutely sure I have it installed correctly.

out of desperation, I pulled the extractor and put the bolt back in the receiver and loaded a trouble round. guess what? the bolt STUCK. I dykem'ed the entire bolt and re-installed it. a few cycles revealed rubbing on the bottom of the both where it enters the receiver and at the portion of the bolt that rides on the receiver on either side of the groove.

adjusting the bottom of the bolt ever so slightly with some 400 grit sandpaper, then a polish and voila! the problem is gone. Even the stickiest of the brass would extract perfectly.

a quick trip to the range over the next few days will verify the problem is solved. I put the original extractor back in and put the new extractors away for later.

HD -

Glad you got the problem pinned down and hog tied.

Just why your BOLT roughed itself up to the point where it was sticking is interesting in itself. I'd take a good look at the frame where the bolt rides, as there could well be a burr that will rough that polished bolt up AGAIN. Maybe a few hundred rounds down the road.

Good metal-to-metal wear at slow speeds usually won't rough the surface of one steel part. There's little bearing pressure at that spot. So, you have had a one in 10,000 guns problem. I'd keep a keen eye on it. But I'd be guessing you have a burred frame that is chiseling away at the bolt.

Good luck, GJ

HD -

Glad you got the problem pinned down and hog tied.

Just why your BOLT roughed itself up to the point where it was sticking is interesting in itself. I'd take a good look at the frame where the bolt rides, as there could well be a burr that will rough that polished bolt up AGAIN. Maybe a few hundred rounds down the road.

Good metal-to-metal wear at slow speeds usually won't rough the surface of one steel part. There's little bearing pressure at that spot. So, you have had a one in 10,000 guns problem. I'd keep a keen eye on it. But I'd be guessing you have a burred frame that is chiseling away at the bolt.

Good luck, GJ

That was the first thing I thought as well so I used the scope to closely inspect the recess in the receiver. No burrs anywhere that I could find though. I'll keep a very close eye on this rifle to see if the problem presents itself again.

This one was a reach head-scratcher!

Very interesting & educational thread. Thanks for sharing your adventure, and to all the contributors !

Thanks for the follow up on this problem.

Snakebite

+1.

I have had that sticking problem when I installed a new extractor. On one if my rifles the back of the extractor has to be flat, not rounded like the bolt or it will drag. It took me forever to figure out what was going on with it. On extractors, I am sure the ones from Long Hunter are a good product, but the best I have used are made by one of our shooters, Just Charlie. His are made from spring steel and cut on a water jet. He just sells them at our shoots, but I know Brisco of Cowboy Shooters Supply carries them and uses them on any extractor replacements he does. Charlie has them for .357 and .45 caliber rifles.

Archived