SASS Wire Forum

Artillery question

Alpo

Watching The Guns of Navarone.

WW2 action flick, where the Allies are attempting to blow up some German cannon set back inside the cliffs.

The German workers, in the caverns with the guns, all wore this funky head-and-shoulders covering, along with gloves.

Any idea why?

The-Guns-of-Navarone-6.jpg

The "hands covering ears" makes sense, as the guns fire. And the dark goggles because of the muzzle flash.

But the funky white outifts??

The German artlllery commandant had an odd OCD and a very weird sexual fetish?? :-0

They were left-over Munchkin aprons from The Wizard of Oz costuming?? :-|

I dunno!

The anti-static makes sense. The gloves, because you reach for the powder, and the hoods because hair picks up static wonderfully.

Don't know if that's the reason, but it makes sense.

Probably just Hollywood. It looks like it was inspired by the anti-flash outfits worn by several navies in WWII. We never did anything special (anti-static wise) when handling separate loading components (powder, projectile,primer) in my field artillery days.

My guess is that thee firing of those big guns was a verry dirty operation with a lot of debris in the air. Just a method of maintaining some cleanliness.

Thank you, Joe.

And for those that have wondered - that's why I ask my questions here.

'Cause I know SOMEBODY will have the answer.

Yup. Anti-flash gear. You can get a nasty burn from those big boogers. Seems to me they were 15" guns?

Falklands War pic

Action_stations_Falklands_1982.JPG

Guest Grass Range #51406

And even if they covered their ears with hands they were all deaf sooner or later firing something that big in a cave. A 105 towed has a sharp enough crack to hurt your ears but a 155 not so bad. Reminds me of the difference in hearing a smokeless round go off compared to a BP

Archived