SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a Win 97 clone gunsmith for repair

Paladin Ralph

I have a Win 97 clone, a newer one which has an 09 serial number. I had one of my reloads open in the shell tube and spill shot, now its jambed. A pard who knows those guns helped me try to take it apart. All that we could get out is the spring and the follower and 3 live rounds are still in it. He showed me how the tube unscrews, but it wouldnt budge. The gunsmiths around here only know how to fix AR's and semi-autos.

Goatneck Clem does my SxS work, but his web site doesnt give any prices for pumps, so Im looking.

All info will be appreciated.

See yawl round the bend,

Paladin Ralph, ES

Have Cart, Will Travel

Sent via Paladin Ralph’s Pony Express

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 Cut is a great smith.

BUT, because you are in Florida, you might want to check out Roughneck Rod to help you out.......assuming he is back in business.

Just a thought.

..........Widder

Palo Verde is a fine 97 man!

He's in Scottsdale Arizona

email him at PVGunworks@gmail.com

But, you should be able to find several in the Southeast who can take a 97 apart.

Good luck, GJ

I am not a gunsmith, but I have a 97 clone. I don't think the tube unscrews like the two piece Winchester 97's do, isn't there just one screw holding the tube in. Before I would send the gun out for repair, I would cut some dowel rod the same length of the shells and try to push the jammed shell out from the breach end. Good Luck

Coyote Cap for 97's

Goatneck doesn't work on '97s, unfortunately. I would certainly try to find someone local as you don't really want to ship it with live ammo in it. And no professional here but I would remove everything else; bolt, carrier, trigger group and see if I could manipulate the live ammo to come out the rear. If shot is wedged on the front side of the shells, it may just tighter if you try pushing from the rear. I believe Marauder's website has a very good set of instructions on how to disassemble a non takedown '97.

3 Cut is a great smith.

BUT, because you are in Florida, you might want to check out Roughneck Rod to help you out.......assuming he is back in business.

Just a thought.

..........Widder

From what Im told he is out of business since the explosion, if that was him.

I am not a gunsmith, but I have a 97 clone. I don't think the tube unscrews like the two piece Winchester 97's do, isn't there just one screw holding the tube in. Before I would send the gun out for repair, I would cut some dowel rod the same length of the shells and try to push the jammed shell out from the breach end. Good Luck

I always carry a squib rod in case and it wouldnt budge them trying to push them toward the rear, they way they went in. We didnt hammer on it, but with the live rounds I dont want to do that. Being an avid wood worker, I will try that with some of the stock I have here, even 5/8" square pine would do that safely.

What surprises me the most is how tight its jambed and Im not a real strong guy.

Goatneck doesn't work on '97s, unfortunately. I would certainly try to find someone local as you don't really want to ship it with live ammo in it. And no professional here but I would remove everything else; bolt, carrier, trigger group and see if I could manipulate the live ammo to come out the rear. If shot is wedged on the front side of the shells, it may just tighter if you try pushing from the rear. I believe Marauder's website has a very good set of instructions on how to disassemble a non takedown '97.

Can you share a link to that site?

My friend who was helping me has a take down, where mine is not.

Three Cut out of N.C. is the only one who touches my Winchester. When no one else can fix it, he can.

Website?

I took the screw out, still wont come apart.

I agree, pushing from the rear would make it worse. I did try pushing it with my squib rod from the front, but no budge. Im hoping to find some one local who can help me with this.

Thanks for Marauder's web site, but my solid frame is different. That page shows the screw on the reciever, my screw is on the end of the mag tube. Maybe I need to email Marauder?

Paladin Ralph,

What you are describing is more of a problem with the TTN, Cimarron and EMF Hartford 97's where the serial numbers start with a "B".

Those shotguns have serious mismatched mag tube threading and are extremely difficult to get the mag tubes to unscrew.

The "09" should be an IAC M-97 and they don't usually have an unscrewing problem. However, I have found examples where the Chinese have used older American Standard threaded mag tubes in a very few "09" guns, which are Metric threaded frames and we have problems in taking off the mag tubes on those guns.

What it sounds like is you may also have a bent mag tube where the shells won't come out the front after you have removed the end cap, spring and follower.

But you say, the mag tube will not unscrew and you have taken out the large screw on the right side of the frame?

If that is the case, then you need a plumbing pipe unscrewing tool from a hardware store. The tool has six sides and a slip cam ring on the lower end of the tool. You place that tool into the front of the mag tube and turn it counter-clockwise.

But first, you will need to remove the buttstock to keep from breaking it. Place the frame into a leather wrapped vise to hold the gun steady as you use a large crescent wrench to turn the pipe removing tool counter-clockwise.

It is a job not suited for the faint of heart as you have to get really serious about it !

"Coyote Cap"

MY MISTAKE

The screw is where the picture shows it.

Paladin Ralph,

What you are describing is more of a problem with the TTN, Cimarron and EMF Hartford 97's where the serial numbers start with a "B".

Those shotguns have serious mismatched mag tube threading and are extremely difficult to get the mag tubes to unscrew.

The "09" should be an IAC M-97 and they don't usually have an unscrewing problem. However, I have found examples where the Chinese have used older American Standard threaded mag tubes in a very few "09" guns, which are Metric threaded frames and we have problems in taking off the mag tubes on those guns.

What it sounds like is you may also have a bent mag tube where the shells won't come out the front after you have removed the end cap, spring and follower.

But you say, the mag tube will not unscrew and you have taken out the large screw on the right side of the frame?

If that is the case, then you need a plumbing pipe unscrewing tool from a hardware store. The tool has six sides and a slip cam ring on the lower end of the tool. You place that tool into the front of the mag tube and turn it counter-clockwise.

But first, you will need to remove the buttstock to keep from breaking it. Place the frame into a leather wrapped vise to hold the gun steady as you use a large crescent wrench to turn the pipe removing tool counter-clockwise.

It is a job not suited for the faint of heart as you have to get really serious about it !

"Coyote Cap"

Thanks for the response Cap,

My barrel is stamped with "IAC BILLERICA MA IN CHINA S. C. T.". My serial number is: A09430. Ive shot it in 2 matches and practice until this happened, at practice. Im partial to SxS's because of physical problems with the running the pump.

There is no wear noticable on the gun and the blueing is still strong. The gun appears brand new with no wear marks on the outside and only small blueing wear marks in the action of the mechanism as seen on the out side.

The screw mentioned above is where Maraurder's page shows it. I made a mistake and posted it wrong above.

The spring came out but not the follower. I have an extensive wood, (been doing wood for 62 years), and leather shop with a Jorgenson 12" quick relese wood vise. The only pipe tools I have are household, like red pipe wrenches which would mess up the finish. Im not sure they would work because the barrel would be in the way.

I will ask my hardware for that tool, but the only ones I have seen were in plumbers hands, maybe Wool Supply or Fergusons.

Im not a racer, after 3 years Im still around 60 seconds, so slicking up wont help me. I have a 66 slicked up by Jim Bowie. I bought a new 73 for back up, have not done any slicking and its fine for the way I shoot.

Im old and slow with bad joints, fixed are no better, been there done that. I enjoy the shooting more than the speed and finish dead last at my matches, but I have fun.

Thanks for your help,

See yawl round the bend,

Paladin Ralph, ES Proprietor

Have Cart, Will Travel

Sent via Paladin Ralph’s Pony Express

Agreed.

Paladin Ralph, have you figured out why the shell opened up to begin with?

Yes, I just switched from a Lee Load All to a MEC Grabber and have since worked on getting the crimp corrected, which is a different problem, but the one that caused this. I called MEC and TS helped me fix the crimp problem, just need to get those live rounds out my 97 and run some new ammo. Where you been HD? I was expecting you sooner, LOL.

Doesn't matter how you shoot or where you finish, having equipment trouble is very frustrating!!

Amen !

Yes, I just switched from a Lee Load All to a MEC Grabber and have since worked on getting the crimp corrected, which is a different problem, but the one that caused this. I called MEC and TS helped me fix the crimp problem, just need to get those live rounds out my 97 and run some new ammo. Where you been HD? I was expecting you sooner, LOL.

LoL! I've been watching the thread but couldn't offer any new suggestions and didn't want to muddy the waters. I've spent some time thinking about it, but handling this in a takedown is a different chore, and I don't have a solid version.

Can you tell where the shot that is jamming it up is located?

LoL! I've been watching the thread but couldn't offer any new suggestions and didn't want to muddy the waters. I've spent some time thinking about it, but handling this in a takedown is a different chore, and I don't have a solid version.

Can you tell where the shot that is jamming it up is located?

I appreciate your not making more mud HD. Its hard to help someone when you dont have the same gun. The follower is 7 1/4" down from the front and stuck. It looks like a close fit in there using one of those HF LED flashlights. I can hear some shot rolling around in there.

Single action in the state of Maine is the only one that touches mine and his turn around time is amazing

website?

Paladin Ralph,

"Coyote Cap"

Cap,

I am looking for that tool, Ace only has a 3/4" which is too small. Gonna locate one via google.

Does the mag tube float free inside the fore stock and will turning this hurt the 2 rods from the fore stock that work the action? Or do I need to release them some how? The shells that are floating free, (maybe all 3), wont feed or come out into the lifter. How do I get them out?

Having worked in construction all my life I know there are times you need a BFH, but Im hesitant to do that on a gun, but will if I have to.

If I can get the live rounds out, I will try using a dowel rod from the front and taping it with a dead blow hammer to loosen the follower.

I'll be waiting for your answers.

Thanks,

Paladin Ralph

Cap,

I am looking for that tool, Ace only has a 3/4" which is too small. Gonna locate one via google.

Does the mag tube float free inside the fore stock and will turning this hurt the 2 rods from the fore stock that work the action? Or do I need to release them some how? The shells that are floating free, (maybe all 3), wont feed or come out into the lifter. How do I get them out?

Having worked in construction all my life I know there are times you need a BFH, but Im hesitant to do that on a gun, but will if I have to.

If I can get the live rounds out, I will try using a dowel rod from the front and taping it with a dead blow hammer to loosen the follower.

I'll be waiting for your answers.

Thanks,

Paladin Ralph

Not Cap but as I mentioned in another post, you should probably disassemble the action by removing the bolt, carrier and trigger group. And a 97 only has one bar from the action slide that works the action. On the left hand side of the gun.

Archived