SASS Wire Forum

ICE FISHIN! Yee Hawww!

Michigan Slim

Not much ice on the lakes, here in coastal Maine. Has been on the warm side so far. One fishing derby has been set up from this weekend to mid February. A lot of rivers have yet to freeze, have yet to go smelting.

When I ice fish, instead of pushing the button on my reel I push the button on the door of my fridge....get one every time :D:D

Kajun

Go back to sleep, KK. Jawja and Louisiana don't get ice that thick.

You folks try ice fishing and you will get wet socks.

:lol::lol:

The main lakes are open but the channels are froze solid. The one I'm fishing in a few minutes gets so many gills in it the water must run out. The crappies move in just before dark from the main lake. I'll set two tipups for bass and pike and them move hole to hole to pick up a couple from each. About an hour before dark we set up on the area where we got the most early. They go on a binge late.

My wife wants to move south but the ice fishing sucks!

The main lakes are open but the channels are froze solid. The one I'm fishing in a few minutes gets so many gills in it the water must run out. The crappies move in just before dark from the main lake. I'll set two tipups for bass and pike and them move hole to hole to pick up a couple from each. About an hour before dark we set up on the area where we got the most early. They go on a binge late.

My wife wants to move south but the ice fishing sucks!

Really? Even in the everglades? :lol::lol:

I love ice shanties. Spinning out my Class A ice boat, I have knocked down dozens over the years!!! ;)

Got to see some neat machines in da UP! Windchill had to be -100 on them things.

So I sat for five hours. Nothin. East wind. And the company sucked. I was alone.

I went once near Cheboygan in my mis-spent youth. Scared a little pike by playing Ahab with a spear.

The beer was good, though.

:ph34r:

No good ever comes of a yout, sitting on a big ice cube, with beer available.

It was better than going to work at the paper factory on a Saturday!! :D

Can you jig a spoon for fish when ice fishing?

Answer No. 1: Yes, I could, and did, hold a beer in one hand and jig the spoon with the other.

Answer No. 2: Yes, it was legal in Michigan in 1968, don't know about today.

Answer No. 3: I don't go ice fishing any more so I don't know if I can still do it or not.

...take your pick...

;)

I'm with you Bob.

I still chuckle when I recall living in Detroit, on the east side. Driving down Jefferson Avenue in the dead of winter,
with all of the shanties out on the ice in Lake St. Claire. Along about March we would get a few days of really

warm weather and the ice would melt a bit. Some of the fisherpersons would not be quick enough to get the

shanty off the ice and it would freeze in. As the Spring would progress, the shanties would sink lower and lower

until they were all gone or just the roof was sticking out of the water.

Yep, spearing is legal. Michigan even has a sturgeon season.

Leave a shanty now an you get a nice fine. Must be labeled with owners name, address, etc and marked with reflective material so nobody runs it over with a snow machine in the middle of the night. (That's you Mud!)

I do enjoy the solitude.

Fun stuff!

I like the thrill of the hunt. Casting that popper next to the half sunk log to see if thet lunker largemouth is ghiding in the shade.

Trying to figure out just what hjas hatched lately that the rainbow are feeding on. Wet Fly. Dry?

Hiking upstream to a secluded pool or sitting on the bank in the warm sun watching the bobber, Did it just quiver a bit?

Sitting in a shack on the ice with a beer watching a hole?

That's not fishing. That's an episode of Booze Survivor. :D

The only thing that I consider a plus about ice fishing is two issues. Fish don't go bad on the ice and

I don't have to do it. :D

But I must confess, I have been guilty of standing waist deep in ice cold water with a steelhead

rod in hand and thinking that it just didn't get any better.

Yep, me too! On the Muskegon River and it's tributaries. Miss it dearly. We were bait and hardware chuckers though. Tried fly fishing several times and liked it. I wonder if I still have that scar on the back a my head?

I found early on that flyfishing for steelies and BMC, just didn't click all that well. So I switched to a

casting reel and tried drifting. I like it. Only way I fish for Iron Jaw these days.

The only thing that I consider a plus about ice fishing is two issues. Fish don't go bad on the ice and

I don't have to do it. :D

But I must confess, I have been guilty of standing waist deep in ice cold water with a steelhead

rod in hand and thinking that it just didn't get any better.

It ain't the temperature, it's the ambiance. ;)

Ice fishing is just an excuse to drink beer with a schnapps chaser. (where's my fishing pole) Smoke a ceegar sit back, chillax, talk smart and work on your tan. Tip ups are a must because it is the thrill of excitement when the flag goes up as you just never know what is at the end of the line. You could pull up an 11" crappie or a 3 foot northern. Sometimes it gets real exciting when some joker inadvertently sets his shanty on fire from an unattended space heater or stove. Just draw up as close as you can with a long stick and marshmallows.

Then there are the yahoos that are bored out of their minds that do spins with their 4 wheelers or do impromptu races. Or the guy with the power auger that drills about a hundred holes and goes from hole to hole to see if he can find fish. If I had to work that hard at it, I'd give it up. As it is, I let my daughter's boyfriend haul everything out, drill the holes, set up the gear and I go out, have a beer, a cigar and supervise. I'm getting pretty good at it as he catches a fair amount of fish.

Archived