SASS Wire Forum

Bullseye for 44-40

Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409

Anyone have experience using Bullseye for 44-40....Normally it just gets fed a diet of 2ff but I have a couple of indoor shoots and since I have some Bullesye powder. The info I have just shows max load and not a range. Any info would be appreciated....please PM me.

Thanks

Hochbauer

I'll send you a load from Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, although Bullseye is a pretty fast powder for that cartridge.

The bottom end load out of the handbook will make about 850 FPS in pistols, and 1000 FPS in rifles.

Good luck, GJ

BE, not so much. A better choice is Unique.

A cowboy several Years ago, Blew up a nice 45 Ruger BH, using BE. A Friend of my Blew the top strap off his S&W 44 Alaskan using BE.

BE; not a good choice for large calibers, in big cases.

Unique, Universal, and Trail Boss are better choices for the .44-40. Do NOT go below the MINIMUM listed loads, and get a firm roll crimp on the bullet, without bulging the case away from the bullet side. If you get any hangfires, definitely INCREASE the loads or switch to a faster powder.

Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year, and Safe Shooting!

I join the others in stating that Bullseye is a bit too fast burning in that 44-40 cartridge. Unique would be the powder of choice in that caliber. Shot many loads using that powder in my original 92 Winchester, (Made in 1894). Accuracy was very good.

RBK

Unique is a very useful and versatile powder, used by many pistol shooters, and shotgunners in reloading 20 and 28 ga. shells, along with many rifle applications.

So the powder is usually stocked by all shops selling powder. You just need to call around to find who has it on hand at the moment.

RBK

BS??? Hmmm....I've never thought of that. Wish you would have posted this yesterday before I fed my cattle. I would've followed my bull around with a bucket! :D

CHT

Archived