SASS Wire Forum

Suggestions on Setting up Cowboy Action Shooting Long Range

Oklahoma Dee

At Thunder River Renegades, we are about to start setting up our new long range.

Do you have any suggestions as the measurement of 25-50-75-100 and further yardage markers?

I have to assume we will need a range finder versus the ole wheel measurement method..True?

Would it be wise to have both feet/yards/meters ? what kind of stakes or markers are used?

The long range is kinda flat and extends out to maybe 400 - 500 yards.

Plans are to have a berm across at the end of it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Oklahoma Dee

Most matches I go to have pistol caliber rifle set up at 100. Big bore lever set at 200 and big bore single shot at 300. Most of us know our equipment pretty good and can get it dialed in with the spotting shots so don't worry if you are off by a few feet or so.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

At one of the Tennessee Clubs where I shot Long Range, we had two full sized white Buffalo targets, One was at 100 yards and the other at 200 yards with a berm behind the 200 yard target.

We used long guns in Pistol Cal for the 100 yard target. 38-40 ; 38 Spc; 44-40; 45 LC.

and for the two hundred target, rifle cals , 30-30; 38-55; 45-70/90, etc. This could also work if you stretch out to 300 yds.

Lots of fun and I miss that LR shooting' Very little of it at Central FL matches.

Cheers, Hoss

1. For measuring a 100' steel tape measure will do just fine.

Measure 25 years (75 feet) at a time and set your marker stakes.

For markers, a 1/2"x6" square steel plate that the yardage is painted white with black numbers.

The plates can be welded to the tee stakes or made removable if you have people who might shoot them up on non cas days.

2' tee fence stakes driven in to the ground leaving just enough sticking up so that the plate is 4" above the ground.

2. SASS match long range distances.

Varies from range to range.

Most have short bays and are more of a precision match.

Those with longer bays will set targets farther out.

I prefer random distance rather than all targets set on the markers.

Random setting helps give everyone more of an equal chance.

There is always the shooter's home range advantage knowing the range and what distances look like.

So I also believe is posting the actual target distanced for everyone.

200 to maybe 300 yards would be more than far enough.

This is cas, not a hunt buffalo match.

The range I frequent has a 200 yard bay and has been more than adequate for both cas and buffalo hunt matches.

Use every yard you have available for long range matches. Most shooters like the challenge. The Redwood Regulators long range matches include shooting pistol caliber at 100-150-200 yds., rifle caliber at 150-200-250 & buffalo single shot at 200-250-300 as regular matches three times a summer every other month. We also do regular single shot matches with targets at 3-4-5-6-7 & 800 yds. three times on the off months. All targets are steel plates of varying sizes. Additionally, side matches may include shooting pistol & rifle caliber rifles at greater distances than the regular matches, BPCR silhouette targets set at appropriate distances (if you have 500 yds., you could do this), buffalo silhouettes at varying distances, paper targets for score or shooting painted wooden Schuetzen targets or shooting .22 rimfire rifles at steel targets & more. Do whatever you can imagine. It's all fun.

All target distances are in yards with distances made known & originally ranged with a range finder. Targets vary in size from 14x11 inches at 100 yds. to 4x6 feet at 800 yds. Some are rectangular & some circular. Silhouette targets are animal shaped. Steel targets are shot hit or miss. Smaller targets at the farthest distance are used for tie breakers, we don't use a timer. We shoot "trap" style with a number of shooters on the line each taking one shot in rotation. Most shooting is done seated with cross sticks. The range is private property, so the ranges are marked with painted lath & targets are permanently set up.

Dee, do yall shoot both Saturday & Sunday every month? After you get the long range bay I'm going to try to make it up for a weekend . I enjoy shooting some "cowboy" long range, both pistol caliber and 45-70. Its about a 4 hour drive I think. Maybe come up early Saturday and stay all weekend!

For pistol caliber 50-100 yds is pretty common & doable, even 200 yards for a shot or 2.

rifle caliber 100-150-200 then maybe a couple at 300. and if you have the room put a full size buffalo at 500 yards.

Merry Christmas, hope to see you soon.

I would definitely set up 100-200-and 300 yard berms. The "Big Bore Buffalo" contests are becoming popular in this area. And I would think there are a bunch of 38-55 and bigger caliber shooters in your area.

I much prefer the targets at random distances !!!

Pistol Caliber Rifle usually starts at about 85 yards (2 shots) , then 140 (3 shots), 200 (2 shots) and 3 shots at about 240 yards. Hits are the scoring matrix time only factors in to break a tie.. This is the Longrange we also do precision rifle Pistol Caliber lever ,,, 10 shots at about 65 yards on one Dump target, same scoring Hits then time if needed... In both rifle starts in both hands pointed down-range stocked with 10 rounds.

Longrange Lever is shot at about 120, 180, 240 & 280 three shots at each range starting with the gun loaded with up to 6 rounds , the rest are loaded from your body.

Tall cross-sticks may be used standing...

Longrange Single shot and Buffalo Rifle are shot starting at about 360 , 480 , 560 & 640 (or at one range starting at 550, 680, 800 & 1,100 yards) three shots at each range using cross-sticks using time to break ties ...

Jabez Cowboy

Many thanks to:

Coyote Kincaid

Hoss Carpenter

Cliff Hanger

Zeb Gray

Hoss Roonwright

Red Cent

Jabez Cowboy

You gave some great ideas and we will put them to work!

Cheers,

Oklahoma Dee

Like Zeb Grey we always shoot in relays. Usually 4-6 on the line. Shoot in order then you have time to reset sights for the next longest distance.

ALWAYS give at least 1 or 2 fouling shots (can be spotted of not) since BP shooters and some smokeless shooters have to foul their barrels.

ALWAYS post the distance to the targets.

I never use time at a long range shoot except that a shooter has only 1 minute after it is their turn to take their shot. IF we have more than one shot on a target a shooter takes one, then the next shooter, etc. until it comes back to them for their next shot. That evens out the conditions and makes things move faster if they want to make a sight adjustment.

We shoot pistol caliber rifles at 100-250 yds., rifle caliber lever rifles at 200-400yds., and single shot at 450-800yds.

Targets are roughly 6-8MOA at each distance.

Total number of hits determines winner. IF equal number of hits most hits at Furthest distances wins.

Most matches are 10-12 rounds.

We usually shoot all matches off cross sticks seated or prone.

One of the keys to a successful match is to have a GOOD SPOTTER to call the hits and help the shooter dial in their misses.

two other ideas,

1. have multiple targets,,, say 5 at random distances,,, unknown to shooter and no rangefinders allowed,, put 2 on each, no dbl taps,,,

2, one target, say 20 ys,,, stoke the lever guns,,,then reload for a total of 10 rounds,,,, at the beep, let her rip!!! with single shots,,, start loaded,,, reload the rest...

have fun

Cheyenne,

I am okay with your random distances.

I do think the distance should be posted for all to see because those shooters who are familiar with that range will have an advantage over those who don't.

Make the match about knowing your rifle/sights and not about who knows the range distances.

CH

Dee,

If you can get to Austin December 27, come to Green Mountain Regulator's monthly Sunday long range match. Shoot cowboy match Saturday, too!

Kit

I run the long range at my main club at our 3 day shoot. I like to keep it simple. One regular sized target at around 100 yards for rifle and pistol calibers. I also place a target at 50 yds. for pistol. Last year we tried .22 rifle or pistol at the 50 yd. target. All guns are shot off hand, no sticks to prop up the rifles. It's pretty simple but folks all enjoy it! ;)

Cheyenne,

I am okay with your random distances.

I do think the distance should be posted for all to see because those shooters who are familiar with that range will have an advantage over those who don't.

Make the match about knowing your rifle/sights and not about who knows the range distances.

CH

that wud be good too!! I've never tried it, but the up close I have, people love getting to shoot their big bores and jump at the chance to "flail" on them..

Like Zeb Grey we always shoot in relays. Usually 4-6 on the line. Shoot in order then you have time to reset sights for the next longest distance.

ALWAYS give at least 1 or 2 fouling shots (can be spotted of not) since BP shooters and some smokeless shooters have to foul their barrels.

ALWAYS post the distance to the targets.

I never use time at a long range shoot except that a shooter has only 1 minute after it is their turn to take their shot. IF we have more than one shot on a target a shooter takes one, then the next shooter, etc. until it comes back to them for their next shot. That evens out the conditions and makes things move faster if they want to make a sight adjustment.

We shoot pistol caliber rifles at 100-250 yds., rifle caliber lever rifles at 200-400yds., and single shot at 450-800yds.

Targets are roughly 6-8MOA at each distance.

Total number of hits determines winner. IF equal number of hits most hits at Furthest distances wins.

Most matches are 10-12 rounds.

We usually shoot all matches off cross sticks seated or prone.

One of the keys to a successful match is to have a GOOD SPOTTER to call the hits and help the shooter dial in their misses.

All good thoughts on this, especially the trap style shooting for efficiency. A couple wind flags are appreciated too for these 1/2 mile distance we shoot out west for long range. And Happy Jack, you can spot for me any time!

Kid Colter

Thanks to all that had input, Thunder River Renegades long range stage is coming along.

Did some measuring with the lazer range finder, and setup yardage markers every 50 yards....out to 300 yards.

Will be making enhancements to the long range with your alls input.

Thank you greatly,

Oklahoma Dee

Archived