SASS Wire Forum

I Will Be Convinced The A-10 Can Be Replaced...

DocWard

Awesome.

That's no airplane, that's a flying tank! Let's see an F-35 sustain that kind of damage and make it home! Some of those 4-star "wing weenies" just don't like the looks of the A-10. All they want is something to shoot into the Wild Blue Yonder, and not get down in the weeds with the ground grunts! Fortunately, Congress has other ideas about keeping the A-10!

When a plane suffers damage like that, is it now a source of spare parts or does it get rebuilt?

I suppose since we aren't making any new ones it might get rebuilt with 99.9% new parts. No?

My understanding is they are cannibalized for parts. There are some already in mothballs in Arizona that can be pulled out or parts pulled from.

My understanding is they are cannibalized for parts. There are some already in mothballs in Arizona that can be pulled out or parts pulled from.

Some parts like landing gear and other componets that were originally manufacturered from castings are taken from stricken aircraft, refurbished and used to repair aircraft in the fleet.

Other componets like hydraulic lines, ribs, stringers, skin are new manufacture.

BTW Getting parts off of aircraft at Davis Mothan requires a lot of paperwork and requires a lot of justification. It is not so much a salvage yard as it is a long term storage facility with the idea that they can be returned to service in case of a national emergency. The location was chosen because the climate does not promote corrosion.

Some parts like landing gear and other componets that were originally manufacturered from castings are taken from stricken aircraft, refurbished and used to repair aircraft in the fleet.

Other componets like hydraulic lines, ribs, stringers, skin are new manufacture.

BTW Getting parts off of aircraft at Davis Mothan requires a lot of paperwork and requires a lot of justification. It is not so much a salvage yard as it is a long term storage facility with the idea that they can be returned to service in case of a national emergency. The location was chosen because the climate does not promote corrosion.

I knew the aircraft in storage there were primarily for the purpose of being able to return to service, but was under the impression that some stored there were also for parts. Thanks for clarifying. I also recall some structural work being done to the A-10 fleet some years ago, along with major avionic upgrades that were basically new parts.

Archived