SASS Wire Forum

single stage presses and shell holders

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

When i started reloading cartridges, I went with a Hornady LNL progressive press that I'm very happy with. Since then, I've had specific needs for a single stage press for things like bullet sizing and Lee's Bulge Buster case dies which require Lee shell holders. So I bought Lee's bottom of the line press for $40. While it has served me well so far, it's so cheap that if I'm thinking it won't last long.

In that vein, I'm thinking of sturdier single stage presses that will allow me to keep doing what I'm doing, and down the road, load some rifle cartridges.

Which is a very long way of asking, are the Lee shell holders specific to Lee presses, or will other brands of single stages like RCBS and Hornady brands use the same shell holders I have? I'm partial to the Hornady presses because I can use their collet die changing system.

thx for your replies!

--Slim

In general, Lee, RCBS, Lyman shell holders will all fit, each others presses.

That being said, the part #s will be different. You have to figure which is which.

Hope thus helps.

Moose

And no need to replace the Lee until needed.

Unless you are using larger rifle cartridges, I would think the rig would last as long as you need.

It isn't the strongest material, but it is a strong design.

I have used only Lee presses since 1986 and loaded about 200-500 rounds per month in that time. I have broken one Lee press. It was a turret press. I broke the diecast handle yoke when resizing .303 Enfield cases, a tough task. I still have my original Lee hand press and us3 it for decapping.

After 25 years use I replaced a RCBS auto 4x4 with a Hornady L&L AP. First thing I noticed was how much smoother the Hornady progressive is compared to the clunky 4x4. Pistol cartridges are a breez. Then while setting up to do 300 mag on the new press I discovered the press stretches while sizing cases. Never noticed this on the old RCBS. Hornady- Aluminum. RCBS-Iron.

The quick change die feature on the Hornady press is not an asset. The dies work loose and the bushings wear.

I have had 1 Lee press. It broke, I'll not buy another. Thier dies are good.

For heavy work, large rifle and magnums I use an Ammo Master. A good friend loves his Rock Chucker. I would have gone with the Rock Chucker but the Ammo Master handles the 50BMG.

That press will outlast you. I loaded my 30.06 rounds for my garand when I got into reloading.

I recommend you consider the Forster Coax. It doesn't use caliber specific shell holders and you can easily work the press with either hand. Check it out.

You'll be shocked how well that Lee press will last. I've been loading on my Lee Challenger press since 1988, and I honestly can't tell you how many rounds I've loaded on it. Even though I do the majority of my loading on a Dillon 550 now, I still use my Lee for loading .45 Colt and .44 Magnum rounds, as well as all of my rifle rounds.

Everyone's advice looks good to me, but one thing to keep an eyeball on is when you buy the shellholders, understand that they make a standard set and then they make another set that uniquely fits their hand-capper. Make sure you get the regular shellholders.

Shell Holder Cross Reference Table (for the good of the order) ...

http://www.handloads.com/misc/shellholders.asp

Single stage presses ... if the Lee Classic 3 Hole, now discontinued, replaced by the 4 Hole can resize 348 thick wall brass with ease and reload all my BPCR rounds ... a recommended purchase

With the 4 hole turret - it's really a semi progressive holding 4 dies that can be rotated with ease

http://leeprecision.com/classic-turret-press/

using an old lyman turret for my 45 colt pistol/rifle and a rock chucker for the 45-70 , a hornady 366 for the 3/4 oz cowboy shotgun , the slow one is the RCBS but thats a low need and careful load cartridge anyway ,

You can buy a single stage toolhead conversion for the Dillon 650 now.

Shell Holder Cross Reference Table (for the good of the order) ...

http://www.handloads.com/misc/shellholders.asp

Single stage presses ... if the Lee Classic 3 Hole, now discontinued, replaced by the 4 Hole can resize 348 thick wall brass with ease and reload all my BPCR rounds ... a recommended purchase

With the 4 hole turret - it's really a semi progressive holding 4 dies that can be rotated with ease

http://leeprecision.com/classic-turret-press/

Thanks John Boy, that's good info.

Currently, the only thing(s) I use this little press for are Lee's Bulge Buster and a bullet sizing die for my .45 ACP rounds. Both use a plunger that's held by the shell holder which rams the empty case or bullet out the top of the dies. The plungers won't fit on my Hornady LNL AP. Even if they did, they'd be useless on any press with an auto indexing shell plate.

I was thinking about another, more robust press with a longer handle as sometimes forcing a case through the bulge buster die takes some effort. The consensus seems to be the press will hold up fine. If not, I'll replace it if it breaks.

Thanks for all the replies!

Abilene

The more robust presses (more expensive) like the rock Chucker offer compound leverage. Some come with grease fittings for lubrication and are made of iron and steel. They can crush cases with ease and even swage bullets. You will never wear it out.

I use an ammo master for 50 BMG and that is one heck of a chunk of brass. I will never have to buy another single stage press.

Archived