SASS Wire Forum

New clue casts light on mystery of antique rifle in Nevada

Subdeacon Joe

http://m.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/new-clue-casts-light-mystery-antique-rifle-nevada

Park officials now believe the rifle sat there, leaning against a juniper tree on a remote outcrop, since at least 1930. Jensen said it could have been left as far back as 1900, a conclusion backed by experts at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West's Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyo.

That's where the park sent the Winchester Model 1873 this year to be examined and stabilized in its current, weathered condition. In the process, the staff at Cody took an X-ray of the rifle and discovered a cartridge tucked inside its stock where cleaning rods normally were kept.

The .44-40 caliber bullet was carefully removed and traced back to its long-gone manufacturer: Connecticut-based Union Metallic Cartridge Co., which merged with Remington in 1912.

Jensen said the folks in Cody believe the cartridge was made sometime between 1889 and 1911.

They also were able to determine the rifle was manufactured in February 1882 and shipped from Winchester's factory in New Haven, Conn., in June 1882. But the Winchester records kept at the museum did not reveal where the gun was shipped or what happened to it after that.

Whatever the eventual facts, that rifle has had a marvelous history. Just for sentimentality's sake (I'm a big softy inside), I would love to see it restored to operating condition, if that were even possible.

Whatever the eventual facts, that rifle has had a marvelous history. Just for sentimentality's sake (I'm a big softy inside), I would love to see it restored to operating condition, if that were even possible.

That won't happen with the gubermint involved. They love the term "arrested decay".

My theory is the owner died close by. I'd like to see do a dig around tree for any evidence of a person being there. Most of the bones are probably long gone carried off by wild animals but there would pieces of metal such as belt bucket, extra / spent cartridges and clothing items such as buttons and maybe some leather from his boots.

This gun was just leaning against the tree, right? In my experience, trees grow around things that are putting pressure on them in just a few years. So it seems strange that this gun wasn't inside the tree after all these years. Maybe it's different for Junipers.

No, the "gubermint" is involved.

It was allowed to age in Area 51 before being secretly moved to the juniper.

Fast forward to 4:59 I'm Ace's video. Where is the carrier in this rifle? Looks like carrier is missing. Perhaps that has something to do with why it was left leaning against a tree?

Am I missing something here?

The carrier is missing. Perhaps it was lost by the user turning the rifle into a single shot.

My ESP says this was a rifle handed down to a young boy as his first rifle. He set it down to dress a deer and the rifle blended into the surroundings, never to be found till now. But this is just my mind receiving vibration from the either.

The carrier is missing. Perhaps it was lost by the user turning the rifle into a single shot.

My ESP says this was a rifle handed down to a young boy as his first rifle. He set it down to dress a deer and the rifle blended into the surroundings, never to be found till now. But this is just my mind receiving vibration from the either.

Ace,

That works for me.

of course, it could have been aliens beaming the original owner up to the mother ship.

I did see somewhere when they X-rayed the rifle, there was a round in the compartment in the stock where cleaning kit would go.

GS

Somebody needs to let Forty know they found where he left his rifle... ^_^

Dang, Hardpan!! How about a little warning next time? I almost swallowed my tongue, I was laughing so hard!

(If you made me wake my Bride up cause of my laughing, you're in a heap of trouble, boy! :D :D ;))

Hard to believe but this happens not infrequently. Check out the collection at the Museum of Dug Up Guns in Cody, WYO. They have a number of specimens there which were left in or on trees that grew to engulf the rifle. MDUG is free to visit & IMHO on of the best reasons to visit Cody. The size of the collection is amazing.

Seamus

My theory is the owner died close by. I'd like to see do a dig around tree for any evidence of a person being there. Most of the bones are probably long gone carried off by wild animals but there would pieces of metal such as belt bucket, extra / spent cartridges and clothing items such as buttons and maybe some leather from his boots.

Could be owner fell and broke an arm or a leg. Despite Hollyweird, rifles do not make good crutches for long hauls. Maybe some broken ribs? Any of those injuries make carrying 9 pounds of rifle very far impossible for most folks. Guy could have died anywhere out there or made it home, but not able to go back. Would make a great start to a short story, though.

Archived