SASS Wire Forum

Double Duelist Category

Howdy,

For years people shot a Double Duelist Category. I have noticed you don't see it as a category much. Just Duelist. Did I miss something?

Rev

Ditto. Style, not a category. Normally shot in the Duelist or Sr Duelist categories. Often shot in Classic Cowboy, too.

If someone scored it as a separate category, it was not a SASS approved one.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks Guys, I thought I had lost it A guy was discussing it with me and I took like you did. But in the Sass scoring system DD is a category. Its was already set up for DD. I'm in the process of setting up the Oklahoma State Black Powder Shootout and setting up the two divisions. Frontier Cartridge (20 categories) Or Cap and Ball (20 Categories). The same for the Ladies. And there it was. DD as a category.

Rev

Hey Joe,

It still had Modern Category in the shooters category listing with Ladies Double Duelist.

Rev

You have two powder choices, two dress categories, one cap and ball revolver category and Four shooting styles, two hand on one gun, duelist, double duelist and gunfighter, then you got the ton of age categories. I think it would be simpler to line the above categories and shooting styles across the top, the various age groups down the side and make a matrix where you go across to you chosen category then down to your age group which is the only age group you can play in, none of this shooting with the younger ones for thr fun of it. Then once you selected those two things you choose your powder either smokeless or bp or subs. That way unless a new category like military or outlaw is voted on and approved you never need to worry about categories.

The cravat is that if they are fewer than x shooters the group is added to the next group younger to combine the groups. I think world and the new division level matches should require ten shooters for men five for the women. National and regionals require 7 and three, state and annuals require five and three. Monthlies can decide their own numbers.

It would look something like this

Two handed. Duelist/double duelist. Gunfighter. Classic cowboy. B-western. frontiersman(bp only)

Buckaroo/buckaret

Junior boy/girl

Cowboy

Wrangler

49er

Senior

Silver senior

Elder statesman/ grand damm

Then like I said you choose your powder type And use the numbers above as a guideline if the cat has enough support at any one level to be offered. That way like I said except for a new format the category voting discussion s every year end because it is covered.

Some clubs will accept whatever category you can come up with. Double Duelist is one of those, to repeat posts before it is NOT a SASS category! ;)

Another consideration is that a GF will sometimes have to shoot double duelist to accommodate a split pistol situation, but as others have said there is no official category.

KK

As there are no categories that specify that a shooter use both hands on the revolver when shooting, there are no smokeless powder categories, and double duelist style is now legal in Gunfighter, a shooter can shoot double duelist in any category. (As Smokestack already stated)

At our state match last month, a shooter signed up for Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter, and never once shot gunfighter style - he shot the whole match as a double duelist. :lol:

As there are no categories that specify that a shooter use both hands on the revolver when shooting, there are no smokeless powder categories, and double duelist style is now legal in Gunfighter, a shooter can shoot double duelist in any category. (As Smokestack already stated)

At our state match last month, a shooter signed up for Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter, and never once shot gunfighter style - he shot the whole match as a double duelist. :lol:

I didn't know that! Interesting!! :)

I think he was the only FCGF, while there were other FCD shooters. Maybe cherry pickin', maybe just not comfortable with gunfighter style yet, but he is a long time black powder shooter.

Archived