SASS Wire Forum

Thumb-ball mouses

Alpo

Them ones with the ball on top, and the mouse stays put and you roll the ball with your thumb.

Anyone use one?

Like it more or less than the kind that you roll around the pad?

I've been getting frustrated with my "roll around" type. Thinking of a change.

Love mine at work. I kept getting tendinitis in my R thumb & wrist (my shooting hand). As soon as I got the track ball mouse and switched the L & R click so I'm L clicking with my middle finger on R side of mouse it went away. Have had it for a couple years now and been pain free.

I use them, I have two, altough my ball is on the side. I had one with the ball on the top and I did not like it as much as I do my current one.

L23-0126-call05-mm.jpg.

I use them, I have two, altough my ball is on the side. I had one with the ball on the top and I did not like it as much as I do my current one.

L23-0126-call05-mm.jpg.

That is what my wife has and she loves it. She has wrist/hand problems and that is what works best for her. Also, you have very fine control with the track ball, much finer than with a regular mouse.

I have had trackballs for years. Love them. I have arthritis in my wrists and fingers so they really help with the pain. This is the one I use. It's not for everyone but it works well for what I do.

http://www.kensington.com/us/us/4493/k64327f/orbit%E2%84%A2-optical-trackball#.Va--smPV0Xs

Them ones with the ball on top, and the mouse stays put and you roll the ball with your thumb.

Anyone use one?

Like it more or less than the kind that you roll around the pad?

I've been getting frustrated with my "roll around" type. Thinking of a change.

Never had any kind of roller ball mouse that held out for more than a year.

Go wireless laser. They're cheap and work much better.

If you are doing a LOT of computer work they are great. Takes some getting used to. I just useca reguar wireless mouse now that I don't have to do computer work for hours.

I use the kind Ruff posted. Don't get the ones with the ball on top, I think those are made for children or people with limited digital dexterity. Doesn't work too well if you try to use your thumb, you have to move it with your palm or fingers. When I switched to a thumbwheel, the first week, my thumb felt kinda tired, but I got over that pretty quick.

The thumb trackballs caused me problems. Many years ago I found a Logitech Trackman Vista .The ball is moved with your fingers not your thumb. They are no longer manufactured but they are still available on the used market. I like them so well I own 4. 2 are in reserve in case one breaks. I have been using mine since 1997 or so and other than cleaning it has never had an issue

I used to volunteer at a Navy/Marine MARS station sorting MARS Grams. Used to put the trackball on a little knee board and lean back in a nice comfortable chair. Could spend an 8 hour shift cutting and pasting MARS Grams without experiencing any cramping in my hand.

They do have a down side in that about every couple of months you need to take out the ball and clean the rollers and ruby bearings. Not hard to do with a few Q-tips and alcohol. You also need to keep your hands clean. It really doesn't like hand lotion.

If you buy a different trackball get the ones that use a LED/LASER to read the ball movement and not the ones that require the ball to move the encoder shaft directly. They are much less prone to gumming up and are more reliable than the ones where the ball has to move the roller.

I have the same unit as Ruff posted. I love it!

I'm currently trying out the MAC Trac Pad. It is very versatile but there are some things about it that annoy me. It does things that a regular mouse won't do, but it sometimes acts a little odd.

I use one with a rather large trackball. Arthritis in my hand and the regular mouse starts to hurt me after a few 12 hour days on the job. I prefer a regular mouse but the trackball mouse does help with the hand problems.

here is the unit I'm using:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-000806-Trackman-Marble-Mouse/dp/B001F42MKG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437647955&sr=8-2&keywords=trackball

(not endorsing Amazon or Logitech, just sharing a photo of the unit I've been using)

GS

Archived