SASS Wire Forum

PARACHUTING

Rancocas

He has several of those videos. Some of them are really great. They do a parachute dance that is spectacular. Yup, I have 11 T-10 jumps and 29 more with other chutes. Quit jumping when I had kids.... wife made me promise. Her best friend took one to the soil. We went to the funeral and she asked me to quit, then said she was going to have a baby.... I stopped but some of me still misses it 30 years later.

Toke

Why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, unless the wings came off or it was on fire...is beyond me! :wacko:^_^

I've jumped out of more planes than I have landed in them at a clip of about 10 to 1. I tell you what, I never get as scared jumping as I do when the plane comes in to land.

I jumped a T-10C back in the late 1990s. I haven't done a military jump since then, but I did some civilian skydiving for a few years. That was BC (Before Children), when I had disposable income :)

The guy in your video is an unsafe tool whom I'd *never* jump with. In any event, he's flying a paraglider, not a parachute. His is not intended to jump out of a plane with; in fact, if he tried it, it would tear to pieces and he would splat. It's made for taking off from the ground, like he does in the video, and flying around. Parachutes control a fall to the earth, but paragliders catch updrafts and can stay aloft for hours.

Why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, unless the wings came off or it was on fire...is beyond me! :wacko:^_^

Nothing is perfect.

The T11......That's right. It's square.

1024px-thumbnail.jpg

SSGT Paschal is having a massive hissy fit right about now!

Wow, that's crazy looking. Something's missing though. Oh yeah, where's their gear?

Hollywood jump obviously.

Or HQ staff. ;)

Hollywood jump obviously.

Or HQ staff. ;)

:D :D

That looks impossible - when he starts rolling and flipping. I could understand a helicopter flying upside down easier than that.

It would be impossible if he was using a parachute. However he is using paraglider. It is made up of individual cells that when presented to the wind properly, they inflate and it takes on the shape of a wing. Because it is now acting like a wing it provides lift allowing the user to perform stunts that are impossible with a conventional parachute.

If you look at his back you will notice that he is wearing a conventional parachute. However unless he has some altitude I doubt that it would have time to deploy and save his bacon.

How Paragliding Works

Archived