SASS Wire Forum

Happy Freakin 4th of July! GRRRR!

Clay Mosby

Only thing I hate about the 4th is feeling like a war just erupted around us. Every year the amount of illegal fireworks increases, and the LEO's can't possibly stop more than a handful. This year they are literally rattling windows in our house and setting off car alarms all around us. Add to that a lot of the houses around us have shake roofs, ( not us thankfully) and everything is dry as a bone because of the drought and their stupidity is moving towards criminal.

What I wouldn't give to have a 2000 gallon tanker with a 200psi water cannon so I could prowl looking for any fireworks that leave the ground.

Don't get me wrong, I love fireworks, but in their place. Growing up the son of a fireman I learned first hand the danger they pose.

I am with you on that one, Clay. Dry as a popcorn fart out there and the dang fools are shooting off

rockets that explode and spray sparks all over the place.

The sad thing is that they COULD eliminate a lot of it by restricting the sale of explosive devices

and some really stiff fines for those that do not follow the rules. They have a stiff fine for

burning yard waste but they allow this stuff to go on. Something is just not kosher herel

I sympathize with those of you in dry areas. Fortunately, we are in the wetlands, and dry coastal areas are few and far between.

Thirty years ago, we started hosting small 4th barbecues, followed by our own fireworks and home-made strawberry shortcake. The kids, who were all small at the time, loved it. We kept it controlled, and fired our rockets and candles over the water. It was modest, but for the kids, it was an extravaganza. (Fireworks are illegal in MA - isn't everything that's fun? We were fortunate to have friends in the business in Canada, access to the free land of NH, and a State Police neighbor who always seemed to have a trunk full of seized fireworks that needed to be disposed of.)

We stepped it up as the kids and their expectations grew - bigger shows, more powerful fireworks - to the point that we were firing mortar shells from PVC tubes on the beach. Honestly, it was getting a little scary (but beautiful!)

Our kids are grown, and our barbecues are now just a few old friends. But the torch (and the fuse) has passed to the next generation, and three of our neighbors have answered the call with nearly professional-level displays. We sat on our upper deck last night, facing across several harbors towards Woods Hole, and watched in wonder as at least 10 private displays, as well as the Falmouth public fireworks (rated one of the 10 best displays in the country) blew their corks. Marvelous!!!

Properly organized and safely run, fireworks make the 4th spectacular.

Now as for those delinquents that roam the streets with M80's and cherry bombs........... :angry::angry::angry:

Happy 4th!!!!!

LL

One small (25 grain) blank from a single shot cap lock pistol.

When we lived a few miles south of here we could watch as someone about a quarter mile away put on what looked like a professional aerial display - 15 or 20 mortar shells.

Some of the local cops had fun with the confiscated illegal stuff.

My big gripe was all the trash left in the streets from the Safe and Sane stuff.

Hmmm......I forgot - I'd also take a powder flask and draw designs in the street with powder and then light that off.

I noticed a decrease in fireworks this year. Several communities have gotten together to make one big fireworks show which is now far enough away from my house that I can't hear them. Before I could see and hear fireworks from my city and the neighboring city at the same time. Also, the backyard pyro maniacs have seemed to diminish in recent years. All in all it was a fairly quiet 4th!

Rye :)

Problem with guns is that we have a bunch of knuckle heads that want to shoot them up into the air and not at a target.

Now us CAS shooter we had a lot of fun shooting a match yesterday.

I also agree with SDJ on the trash aspect. This morning the beaches at the lake are covered with so much left over debris that they are not safe to use.

We have a number of over 21 kids that live on this block so the "merriment" seemed to go on for a very long time. I think things finally ended about midnight. We missed most of it because the dogs were loosing their minds so we had to stay home with them. While I appreciate what the holiday represents, I think the meaning is getting lost in all the commercialization. I would like to see us go back to simpler times.

Archived