SASS Wire Forum

Winch in Truck Bed

Big Sarge

I'm looking for a way to mount a portable winch in my truck bed to help with loading food plot implements and game such as hog, gator, or large deer. Does anyone have one or an idea how to?

1.5" Tube steel cross bar mounted thru to the frame at the front of the bed. Weld a steel plate in the center drilled and tapped to mount your winch. Seen it a few times for snowmobiles.

Look for the ATV winch that is small and mount it on the front bulkhead with a plate on the back side, run some cables from the battery with quick disconects and it should pull anything in to the truck you need.

A drop in bar that fits into the front stanchion holes in the bed and a quick disconnect. Mount the winch to the bar and you can set it out or lay it in the bed when not being used.

If you are pulling very much of a load the frame anchored cross bar and plate is the only way to go. The other options are great for light loads or older trucks (Pre 1970) but newer trucks may not have the structrual strength needed.

I have seen alot of truck beds cracked due to the stresses from hitches, hoists, etc anchored only to the sheet metal of the bed. The constant flexing can cause stress corrosion and cracking over time.

It might be easier to operate if it was mounted at the back of the truck. I would look at mounting to either side of the back of the bed and run the cable throuh a cable wheel in the front of the bed. This would also allow you to aid/steer the load as it slides into the truck.

Oh, "winch" not "wench." :huh: My bad. :blush:

LOL. There you go, trying to get me in trouble...

I'm thinking about the crossbar bolted to the frame, but attaching to the headache rack sounds very interesting.

If you put 3 or 4 sturdy wenches in the back of your truck, they could hop out on command and load about anything you wanted.

I like that idea but I don''t think the wife will go for it.............

2912565-Would-be-beer-wench-0.jpg

I have a hydraulic cherry picker like an engine hoist that slides into my receiver hitch. I have made the tube long enough to clear the tail gate, but then I need to carry a support to go from the tube to the ground as it is a little weak when out that far. I doesn't winch anything but picks up very well. Like this but attached to receiver hitch.

11150814_775026632604639_642332217210026

Rolling Stone - I was looking at a half ton bed mounted hoist at Harbor Freight for $149. Lots of good reviews and info on how to convert from hand crank to electric winch

Archived