SASS Wire Forum

Squirrel Hunting with Badger

It would do the job, but you won't get more than a couple shots before the local constabulary arrives to take you away.

I would suggest more of a stealth approach, and good air rifle peeked out from between the curtains of an open window.

Badger, I can tell you with absolute certainty that a .45 Colt, 250 gr SJHP over a stout load of Unique will take a "bushytail" off a tree* quite nicely. :)

And if you're REAL good at it, there'll even be enough left for supper! ^_^

*Take care for your where the pill will go if you miss! ;)

Badger, I can tell you with absolute certainty that a .45 Colt, 250 gr SJHP over a stout load of Unique will take a "bushytail" off a tree* quite nicely. :)

And if you're REAL good at it, there'll even be enough left for supper! ^_^

*Take care for your where the pill will go if you miss! ;)

AH, There is the rub!

Badger,

If the little critters are a problem send them my way.

We are feeding seven of the little critters on our deck now.

A few more shouldn't hurt.

Fool that I am, I planted 29 Filbert trees twenty years ago. I have yet to get any filberts. But we

have some really fat squirrels and filbert starts all over the yard. The crazy critters bury the nuts

and forget where they are. But the nuts don't forget. If I shot one of those critters I would have to

move. Momma would shoot me. She nurtures squirrels, rabbits, deer, and hummingbirds. Just this

afternoon she was flirting with a chickadee while I was cutting the grass. I know my place. :lol:

Your .45 recipe will do the job. Careful shots to the head will bag the squirrel without damaging any of the meat. Also, with a .45, you can "bark" the squirrel. Barking squirrels (not be confused with "barking spiders" :huh: ) was an old trick that frontiersmen used with their ol' flintlock rifles. Just hit the branch under the squirrel and the shock will stun or kill the critter, causing it to fall to the ground. Good thing about barked squirrels is no meat is damaged.

As to the neighbors. Be generous and offer to kill some of their squirrels. Then share your favorite squirrel casserole recipes and accept theirs. When everybody in the neighborhood has enough squirrels, have a squirrel potluck at the nearest Baptist church where covered dish potlucks are a denominational tradition. ^_^

Don't forget to invite the local police officers too! I'm sure they'll be happy to hear you've been eradicating these vicious, felonious critters, clearly in the spirit of homeland security and an act of self-defense. -_-

noooo-squirrel.jpg?w=500&h=372&crop=1

I hope my advice was instructive and helpful. ;):P:D

BIL has a squirrel proof feeder that is powered by a 9v battery. when proper contact is made a capacitor turns loose and the squirrel hits the ground.

Shot one last year with a 405 gr bullet out of my Sharps. Squirrel was on the side of a stump on my range. Range was about 40 yards. Tried to "bark" him but the slug went through his breast bone. Death was instant. Squirrel was not vaporized. He was however slow cooked and covered with gravy.

Archived