SASS Wire Forum

Creative Question #4

Aunt Jen

Okay: :). (Aunt Jen sits at the typewriter. sleeves rolled up, limbers the fingers.)

It's like this:

Most of the cells in the human body replace themselves. Some every fee days, some over a period of years---on average most change out once a month.

Trillions of copies of our DNA have been sluffed off from every body---yours, mine, everyone's. The YOU reading this is not the same you who helped me learn to reload on the Wire last month.

However, I gather that most brain cells do not change out much, or if they do, it's not very often. Brain, and all, atoms change out. But brain cells kinda stay with us.

I'm certain some of this sophisticated group know a LOT more than I about all this.

Sooooooooo........

The questions are,

(1) why do brain cells tend to stay, and

(2) if they did change out / replace, would a person retain his same sense of self if the neurological pattern remained the same?

The brain cells are awaiting the doom of the alcohol that we are about to consume.

They are patient cells and await their fate in good humor.

Great minds think alike!

Everytime I replace a few cells, I lose my truck keys.

Brain cells do change out.....in women.

Not men. That's why we are more stable, content, in control, etc... :)

Women, well their brain cells grapple with such things like learning to reload one month. Then the next month, they sit around with nimble fingers on the computer wondering what happened to last months brains cells and if their neurological pattern has changed.

:) :) :)

..........Widder

Maybe the same reason the brain does not feel pain. The rest of the body does. But you poke something through the side of your head, into your brain, and it won't hurt. The skin will hurt. The skull bone will hurt. But not the brain. It might die, but it won't hurt.

Why? 'Cause the brain are different from the rest of the body.

Maybe the same reason the brain does not degenerate. If I sit in a chair, and don't do nothing, my arm and leg muscles will wither away. If I don't eat, my stomach will shrink. If I don't think, my brain stays the same size.

Why? 'Cause the brain are different from the rest of the body.

Brain cells do change out.....in women.

Not men. That's why we are more stable, content, in control, etc... :)

Women, well their brain cells grapple with such things like learning to reload one month. Then the next month, they sit around with nimble fingers on the computer wondering what happened to last months brains cells and if their neurological pattern has changed.

:) :) :)

..........Widder

Oh! Lol

:) :) :) :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, my goodness!

Maybe the same reason the brain does not feel pain. The rest of the body does. But you poke something through the side of your head, into your brain, and it won't hurt. The skin will hurt. The skull bone will hurt. But not the brain. It might die, but it won't hurt.

Go ahead. I double dog dare ya.

"(1) why do brain cells tend to stay, and

(2) if they did change out / replace, would a person retain his same sense of self if the neurological pattern remained the same?"

1. Answer this with a natural selection point of view. There probably are some individuals, now and in the past, in which neurons are not long lived. Remember that the axonal connections are not completed in a human until several years after the baby is born. When a central nervous system neuron dies, the connection with the peripheral tissue is lost. It could take years for a new axon to migrate from the replacement cell to the organ the previous (dead) neuron served. So those individuals whose neurons are not long lived are at a distinct disadvantage for survival. They don't live long enough to reproduce and pass those genes for short-lived neurons to future generations. Individuals with long-lived neurons can live long enough to pass those genes down to their heirs.

2. Moot point. But I think if memory cells die, and were somehow replaced, the individual's personality would change over time. We are our memories. And if motor neurons die and were replaced, we would constantly have to re-learn how to walk, eat, etc. Although the etc. could be interesting.

Archived