SASS Wire Forum

A 1911 is sorta like

Matthew Duncan

The CZ-75 is the most copied pistol design after the 1911 and SAA.

I don't know about that and can't say aye or nay, but I can say the BHP has been made under license pretty much all over the world, from Hungary to Canada to Israel and in Argentina, and other places such as China not under license. It was also made, issued and used by both sides in Europe during WWII. I've read that it has seen use with the militaries of more countries than any other pistol, although I won't state that as fact.

Elegant and popular pistols in the U.S. were 1860 Colts, then Colt SAAs, then Colt 1911s. None of them were "Pretty". They were designed for military use, then became very popular with the public. That didn't happen with the Beretta or Glock pistols. I was in the U.S. Army for a long time, pretty much lived with a 1911. For a carry gun I pack a .45 acp Kimber ultra carry 1911 with laser sight. It feels good in my hand and I feel comfortable shooting it. Other folks have different opinions, and thats fine, just don't put the 1911 down or try to take mine.

The O'Meara Himself.

ps I really like the 1860s and SAAs too.

Seems like everytime I read about someone wanting to buy a 1911, the recommendations are (insert favorite here). The next line is, as soon as you get it, ship it to (insert favorite gunsmith here) and have them make it work right.

Seems like everytime I read about someone wanting to buy a 1911, the recommendations are (insert favorite here). The next line is, as soon as you get it, ship it to (insert favorite gunsmith here) and have them make it work right.

I can't say I see that, but I suppose it happens. Of course, I've seen people say "send your new Ruger NMVs to..." and the like... Could be that people either: A) want to have their firearms tuned exactly the way they want them; B) want to be able to say it was tuned by So-and-So; or C) Have more money than I do, and need to figure out ways to spend it.

Of course, there are gunsmiths out there that specialize on Glocks, too. If there is money to be spent "improving" something, someone will come up with a way to get it out of other people's wallets.

I enjoy the challenge of shooting single stack guns as well as the ease of concealment and comfort (relative to me) over 2x stack mags.

Further, there may only be anecdotal correlation, but my impression is that the "safe action" trigger is the most often ND'd in most report.

For me, the hand/grip aspect ratio of the 1911/M&P/ CZ fit best. I look forward to shooting the new SS Glock....but I'll probably never own one.

You can say the same thing about all our Cowboy guns, too.

Aim Surplus has 2 grades of BHPs. Oops only one grade now. Select grades sold out.

Aim Surplus has 2 grades of BHPs. Oops only one grade now. Select grades sold out.

Gee, thanks. Now I have to see if I can talk my brother into helping me out with one!

The 1911 is the Ma Deuce of handguns. Same designer, same bottom line. It works.

Good enough for me. GJ

The 1911 is the Ma Deuce of handguns. Same designer, same bottom line. It works.

Good enough for me. GJ

I'm a fan of both, but for some reason your post made me think of this:

Guest Milo Talon SASS #23163

Own a Glock and a 1911. Like them both. Prefer the 1911. It sees a lot more range time. But honestly, it sees more range time the last few years than any of my other shooters.

I'm a fan of both, but for some reason your post made me think of this:

Can't remember... 2-7 clicks minimum? With the headspace gauge?

Can't remember... 2-7 clicks minimum? With the headspace gauge?

It's been quite awhile, but that sounds right.

I own both, prefer to carry my Glock 21 (.45) all day, much lighter and it goes bang everytime outta the box, my 1911's needed tuning. In USPSA single stack (1911) is about the most fun division.

I have a CZ75 and 1911. For general use I prefer the 75. Holds 10 more rounds and can be fired single or double action. But I do love my 1911.

I didn't need to send my Springfield 1911 to anybody.

It seems to work just fine right out of the box.

Of course all of my guns are virtual.

ED: My only complaint about the 1911 is that they throw brass all over the place.

I guess if you don't have to police your brass that would not be an issue. But I do.

Guess that is true of most all slide pistols.

Archived