SASS Wire Forum

OUR FURRY SIDEKICKS & TRAVELING PARTNERS

Major Art Tillery

Another post got me thinking about the furry friends I have/had in my life, always there for comfort, understanding, and a good chuckle from time to time. I have a love for animals and actually have been working as an assistant for a vet clinic for almost 11 years now, and have seen a lot of good dogs come and go. But the happiness they brought while with us, makes for some great memories that will never be forgotten. So this post is for those Sidekicks/traveling partners past and present... feel free to post yours.

My favorite horse I learned to ride... "Fetch" he knew how to do it all. In the bed of the truck is "Lady" and her brother in the cab "Montana"... they have all passed in the past few years.... and will be missed.

Riden2_zpsdcfifjab.jpg

"Josey Wales" one of my current sidekicks, adopted in 2013, she often travels to cowboy shoots with me and is quite popular with her goofy personality. But one SMART DOG...sometimes too smart. Can run like the wind! She goes to work with me everyday.

IMG_20141031_164321035_HDR_zpsj0xwid4a.j

"Hondo Lane" my other sidekick, adopted a year ago from the clinic I work for. He was brought in from the country where he was found running around... after nobody claimed him after almost a month, I decided he would go home with me, he is one big husky mix! He often is told he looks like "Two Socks" from the movie 'Dances With Wolves'... and I often get asked if he is part wolf. He looks it, but I doubt there is. He also goes with me to work.

IMG_20150222_103719506_zpsgeasaxa5.jpg

Good post and timely although hard for me to get through. We lost Machenzie our Welsh Corgi last evening. She had been a part of our family for over 13 years. Your post did provide some comfort, thank you so much for sharing.

Charlie

Good post and timely although hard for me to get through. We lost Machenzie our Welsh Corgi last evening. She had been a part of our family for over 13 years. Your post did provide some comfort, thank you so much for sharing.

Charlie

I feel for you Charlie, it is tough when you loose a loyal friend. I am sure you have many fond memories of Mackenzie in 13 years... Ones that will never be forgotten.

We have a large "family."

Can't imagine the house without dogs. Some of these are no longer with us, some are on the mantle, some are going strong.

IMG_0557.jpg

100_4089.jpg

1114081351.jpg

A0FAB233-0861-4A6E-9D4B-A31B4625D3CE-126

7D5B8842-9DC3-44F8-84AD-CE7C5C5B709A-291

This is Troi, named after Counselor Troi on Star Trek. (Painless liked her.) She lived to be 15 and died almost exactly to the day one year after Painless. She was the best girl you could ever hope for, and so emotionally expressive! I could basically tell exactly what she wanted by the look on her face. She was devoted, loving---and smart! Like once when I heard a sound in the house and went to investigate, she sensed the whole thing and was the perfect help. No training in that, and I didn't have to say anything to her. I got out of bed, and Troi stood about one step in front of me, peeking around corners with me. She'd look at me now and then to see what she should do, but the communication must have been subliminal, because I didn't say anything to her. We searched the house together---there was no one---and I feel certain that if we'd found anyone, she'd have lit into them. And at other times, she was so playful and loving. Adventuredog, she had to go do EVERYTHING we did. The only thing she hated was being left at home. A real member of the family, not a "pet," as it were. I swear to God, she's a person with 4 legs. She's kin. I have her ashes, and I'll be buried with her in my arms, beside "Daddy" (to her), Painless, my husband, when that day comes.

troi%20in%20dinghy_zpsncdeqee1.jpg

troi%20at%20beach_zpsrzxakcva.jpg

Nowadays, I have a cat, Han Solo. He's the fastest hunk of junk in the house! :) He was a rescue, at 6 years of age. I thnk his earlier life, where-ever that was, was---not abusive in an assaultive sense, but somehow stark, as in without stimulation, so---hey!---he loves this thing called a little cat door and a yard! :) Amazing stuff.

Thank you.

I think people take them in because we love them, and they are loyal to us because they love us, but I think more than that is going on.

I think there is a symbiosis, that we work together as we do because we both benefit on a level that goes deeper than the practical, such as we feed you and you protect us. I think there is something deeper. We are inside designed to need each other.

Literally, we humans, and our furry loved ones, both LIVE LONGER if we are together, and I don't just mean helping to feed or protect each other. It's In the heart.

Which is partly why I think the common prohibition against taking dogs into numerous public places should be made conditional upon being safe and sanitary (no biting or pooping in restaurants, for example). Which can easily be achieved, for relevant dogs with an enclosed baby stroller, for example. If we could integrate dogs into our lives more, I also think it would help calm the angry, bolster the sad, bring people together even if otherwise very different, and make life better for all

Thank you.

I think people take them in because we love them, and they are loyal to us because they love us, but I think more than that is going on.

I think there is a symbiosis, that we work together as we do because we both benefit on a level that goes deeper than the practical, such as we feed you and you protect us. I think there is something deeper. We are inside designed to need each other.

Literally, we humans, and our furry loved ones, both LIVE LONGER if we are together, and I don't just mean helping to feed or protect each other. It's In the heart.

Which is partly why I think the common prohibition against taking dogs into numerous public places should be made conditional upon being safe and sanitary (no biting or pooping in restaurants, for example). Which can easily be achieved, for relevant dogs with an enclosed baby stroller, for example. If we could integrate dogs into our lives more, I also think it would help calm the angry, bolster the sad, bring people together even if otherwise very different, and make life better for all

I think its a US thing, I have spent a goodly amount of time in Germany and there seems to be no prohibitions against well mannered dogs.

No Dacious.... Looks to be a little onry :)

I tried to buy one of those for my mother. $1100.

deleted

Archived