SASS Wire Forum

Ima sucker for...

MGM cartoons -- the ones that were played before theatre audiences in the '40s and early '50s. I have most of the Tom & Jerry cartoons, and picked up the Droopy collection at the used DVD store today. Brilliantly directed by Tex Avery. Definitely not for kids -- they wouldn't get the gags. Hysterical -- to me anyway.

Below, the bad guy has "one foot in the grave". :)

droopy-wallpaper-1911.jpg

What ya mean you guys don't like Sponge Bob Square pants?? :P

Tom & Jerry rock!!! I also loved the Road Runner, don't know if that's MGM but it's great! Bugs Bunny was a cool character. :lol:

Yeah, I agree on the MGM cartoons.

Disney and Warner Brothers cartoons were/are great, too.

Hanna-Barbara produced many of the later ones and in my view, were of poorer quality.

The earlier cartoons were also very good. And, for many people, their earliest, sometimes only, exposure to classical music were these nicely produced cartoons.

I agree that these stilted, poorly done (in virtually every possible way) cartoons that came later still, are horrible.

Bugs Bunny & Road Runner are Warner Brothers productions. I have most of those too. Chuck Jones is probably their best known animator/director having created the RR 'toons. Bob McKimson, Fritz Freleng, and Bob Clampett are lesser known, but responsible for Bugs, Daffy, Tweety & Sylevster and Porky Pig. Brilliant.

Somewhere I have a cassette that has just the musical score from some of the classic WB cartoons. As mentioned above by Cat Brules, this was kids first exposure for classical music. Leon Schlesinger was the mastermind who combined classical music and slapstick. Genius.

:)

Bugs Bunny & Road Runner are Warner Brothers productions. I have most of those too. Chuck Jones is probably their best known animator/director having created the RR 'toons. Bob McKimson, Fritz Freleng, and Bob Clampett are lesser known, but responsible for Bugs, Daffy, Tweety & Sylevster and Porky Pig. Brilliant.

Somewhere I have a cassette that has just the musical score from some of the classic WB cartoons. As mentioned above by Cat Brules, this was kids first exposure for classical music. Leon Schlesinger was the mastermind who combined classical music and slapstick. Genius.

:)

Saw. Documentary on Loony Tunes a few years back it was great, said they put the Loony Tunes staff on an outbuilding on the Warner lot, said pianos and safes would literally fall out the 3rd floor windows and the entire WB staff were afraid to go near the Looney Tunes staff , appears many if them should have been committed :)

Regarding classical music. I wouldn't listen to it as a kid until I saw "That's Opera, Doc". Of the later cartoons I liked Rocky and his friends including Fractured Fairy tales and Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman, but Bugs Bunny was my favorite, I'll bet you would never have guessed that!

Bugs Bonney

Saw. Documentary on Loony Tunes a few years back it was great, said they put the Loony Tunes staff on an outbuilding on the Warner lot, said pianos and safes would literally fall out the 3rd floor windows and the entire WB staff were afraid to go near the Looney Tunes staff , appears many if them should have been committed :)

Yup. The building was so ratty they called it "TermiteTerrace" :)

Well I don't care what anybody thinks, Yosemite Sam is my favorite character. That half-pint is tougher than a box of rocks, ornery, mean, and reminds me of a bunch of characters that show up in this here Saloon.

Here's just a sampling of great Yosemite Sam lines!

I am also a fan of some of the more obscure cartoons, like Marvin the Martian, Peabody and Sherman, Pepe Le Pew, Dudley Do Right and Foghorn Leghorn. Definitely not intended for kids. Now that was TV, IMHO.

Cartoons were drawn with many more frames per second in those days, resulting in a smoothness of movement that is sadly lacking in this advanced age.

Archived