SASS Wire Forum

The Tucker Concept Car

Subdeacon Joe

Tucker actually built a number of these! The seating was more conventional and I think the engine actually ended up under the rear seats. The big three put him out of business by cutting off his suppliers, but there are some of them running today!!

Way ahead of it's time!!

The movie a few years ago, quite a few, with Jeff Bridges was pretty good. Tucker: The Man And His Dream.

The movie a few years ago, quite a few, with Jeff Bridges was pretty good. Tucker: The Man And His Dream.

+1

As a small child I was taken to a nearby town to see the car of the future. All I can tell you is that it was red and a funny shape. In a world where most cars were dark subdued colors it was striking.

I think my father was interested in maybe investing a little bit of money. Instead he bought some stock in an African gold mine.

The results were the same.

My dad had a friend who was a Ford dealer. According to Dad, he managed to get a Tucker dealership but the closest he got to a car was a full size cardboard "model". I don't know anything more than that and that the man moved from Toppenish to Walla Walla and opened up another car dealership there.

The movie is very entertaining, but no more accurate than Tombstone is to Wyatt Earp. According to people inside the company, Tucker failed because he never had the capital to pull it off. Suppliers were running full tilt to meet demand from established manufacturers, he had no credit with then and was given low priority.

Eventually the dealers started complaining because he had collected money from them without delivering any cars. That led to a securities and exchange investigation because his financing had the appearance of a pyramid scheme. Eventually he was cleared, but he certainly skirted the edges of illegal activity.

Sad, because they are gorgeous and innovative cars. If he had been able to bring them to market, I often wonder how they would fared against established competition.

Yes, I have seen one, been in one. The seating was somewhat conventional and the engine was NOT under the back seats.

Blackfoot

I only ever saw one in a parade. I know at one time the under seat/mid-engine idea was kicked around. They wound up using an air-cooled aircraft engine of some kind, didn't they?

It was a cool car!!

I only ever saw one in a parade. I know at one time the under seat/mid-engine idea was kicked around. They wound up using an air-cooled aircraft engine of some kind, didn't they?

It was a cool car!!

Yup, Franklin O-335 flat six used in helicopters. Originally air cooled, Tucker converted it to water cooled for the cars. He liked the engine so much he bought the company. (Sounds like an old Remington shaver commercial.) The Tucker family owned it until 1961.

As a youngester (8 or 9), I actually saw one in North Little Rock, Arkansas. It was parked outside "Hanks Doghouse" a nice steak place in NLR. I was impressed that the headlights followed the direction of travel.

It was a cool car!!

Yes, as I recall it was a Lycoming engine. The transmission was similar to a Cord transmission with the same "match stick shifter" that was used on the Cords.

Blackfoot

Archived