SASS Wire Forum

If You Forget Your Rod.....

Subdeacon Joe

Never mess with a Tarpon. :D :D

Note she's not worried enough to drop the camera and help.

Several years ago some fisherman off the coast of Georgia or Florida, I forget, had a big tarpon follow a retrieved lure into their center console boat. The tarpon made a clean sweep of the innards leaving the fisherman hanging onto the outboard as a spectator. Best I remember there wasn't much left of the console, etc.

This guy is probably of the same gene pool that would try to grab a wild boar by the ears without any help by way of people or dogs.

Never mess with a Tarpon. :D :D

Note she's not worried enough to drop the camera and help.

That was the first thing I noticed....a lot of screaming and filming and no one helping.

EC

I noticed his forearm was already bloody when he dangled it over the side. Apparently this wasn't the first time this knucklehead had tried for his 15 minutes.

Lotsa screaming but no helping, and his buddies didn't seem in too much of a hurry to offer aid. My guess is this was some yahoo trying for his fifteen minutes of fame, and the girlfriend probably dropped the camera the first time so he opted to do it again.

When I was Stationed in Key West Fl. a couple of knuckleheads checked out a Boston Whaler from MWR and went fishing. They managed to catch a very large grouper a couple of miles off shore. Fought it to exhaustion and got it alongside the boat. Grouper was too big for them to get into the boat so they decided to leave it in the water and use the anchor rope for a stringer. They were afraid of putting their hands in its mouth so they tied it off by the tail and secured the rope to the stern of the boat.

Well when the grouper had rested sufficiently it decided it was time to go and took off with the boat in tow. Grouper managed to swamp the boat and left the two young sailors adrift. When they did not come back on time the Coast Guard was notified and a search commenced. Found the two clinging to a channel marker about 3 miles off shore.

The next day their fish tale was the talk of the base with most of us thinking they had managed to sink the boat in Florida Bay and were trying to hide their poor seamanship.

Two days later the boat was spotted and recovered with the grouper still attached to the stern. The Coast guard cut the fish loose and brought the boat back to the base. My buddy on the CG Cutter said the fish easily weighed 300 lbs.

I hope he got an infection.

And that's not a legal means of taking Tarpon. Wonder if he had a license?

When I was Stationed in Key West Fl. a couple of knuckleheads checked out a Boston Whaler from MWR and went fishing. They managed to catch a very large grouper a couple of miles off shore. Fought it to exhaustion and got it alongside the boat. Grouper was too big for them to get into the boat so they decided to leave it in the water and use the anchor rope for a stringer. They were afraid of putting their hands in its mouth so they tied it off by the tail and secured the rope to the stern of the boat.

Well when the grouper had rested sufficiently it decided it was time to go and took off with the boat in tow. Grouper managed to swamp the boat and left the two young sailors adrift. When they did not come back on time the Coast Guard was notified and a search commenced. Found the two clinging to a channel marker about 3 miles off shore.

The next day their fish tale was the talk of the base with most of us thinking they had managed to sink the boat in Florida Bay and were trying to hide their poor seamanship.

Two days later the boat was spotted and recovered with the grouper still attached to the stern. The Coast guard cut the fish loose and brought the boat back to the base. My buddy on the CG Cutter said the fish easily weighed 300 lbs.

First rule of fishing, never hook a fish bigger than you can handle.

That was the first thing I noticed....a lot of screaming and filming and no one helping.

EC

Dooooooood, you caught it - you clean it....

Archived