SASS Wire Forum

How do I verify an FFL holder if they won't disclose their FFL #?

I've got a rifle ready to send out, and the alleged dealer on the buyer's end refuses to provide a copy of their license or the license number to check against ATF's EZ Check registry. How do I verify they really have a current, valid license at the shipping address given? In all my years of wheeling & dealing, and working in gun shops, I've never run into this. The range/store address appears valid, as per their WEB SITE, but, additionally, FedEx and UPS both require a copy of the receiving dealer's license for their files before they will accept the package for shipment on my account. As a last resort, I can send it USPS without declaring it or providing a copy of the license, but I'm still a bit uneasy not being able to verify their info through EZ Check.

That has never been my experience...smells fishy to me. No reason for them not to e-mail their license to you if they have one. That is the process...Jim

Something very odd with that.

I would refuse to ship unless they provide a copy of their license. After all if something goes wrong you will be the one on the wrong end of the stick.

As an FFL holder, If I don't get a copy from another FFL holder that I can verify, I will NOT ship. BATFE can verify by business name, but you have to find your local office (check their website) call and ask to talk to an agent. Tell them your concerns and they will help.

As an FFL holder, I will NOT provide a copy of my license to a non-license holder under ANY circumstance. I will gladly provide the first three digits and last five of my license # to a private party so they can conduct the ATF EZ Check. The reason for not providing a copy of my license is ATF has advised us not to give them out to non-licensees. We have had our FFL altered by unknown parties by sending it out to non-licensees. And, when you're the one having to answer questions from ATF over something you didn't do, it makes a believer out of you fast.

As for having to provide one to UPS or Fedex in order to ship, that is not true. Both companies have their regulations relating to shipping firearms available online. Nowhere in there does it say a copy of the FFL is required. A printout of the ATF EZ Check is normally enough to make either company satisfied. If you've encountered resistance from the person behind the desk, ask to speak to their supervisor. That usually settles the matter.

If the FFL in question won't at least give the first three and last five of their license, then I would definitely not send the gun. But if they balk at sending the license itself, understand why. If you still aren't getting it, then post a picture of your drivers license and Social Security Card on the social media site of your choice......unaltered and uncensored. See how fast you become a victim of identity theft. Then you'll get it.

Just the view from my saddle.

Howdy,

I betcha that dealer has something wrong with their license.

Tell the buyer to find another dealer.

You have your rifle in your hand, tell em it stays there until you get the

correct paperwork.

You need real proof of where your rifle went and that you complied with the law.

Its not just a piece of paper, it might keep you outta jail.

Good luck.

Best

CR

I agree with IROT. I have had dealers tel me the same thing.They will provide a copy to an FFL holder but not a non-licensee.

Many FFL dealers will not accept firearms from non-FFL's because they will not send a copy of their license to anyone but another FFL.

Always better to ship from FFL to FFL. My local gun shop will gladly ship a firearm for someone.

IROT is 100% correct.

UPS and FEDX have a data base(same one BATFE uses)of FFLs

It should show this info when the clerk enters the data in their puter.

No copy of an FFL to a non-FFL holder is std SOP and even the BATFE supports this to protect the FFL holder.

LG

I called again on my lunch break and got "Laurie", who had no problem emailing a copy of the FFL to me. Despite some saying it is SOP to not provide FFL info to the transferer, this is the first time I've ever encountered it. By law, it is required to be posted in "a conspicuous location" where anyone can see it anyway. I also inquired about the database with the FedEx DC, and they said, "If we had access to that information, we certainly wouldn't need this filing cabinet of FFL's, would we?" Maybe our DC just never got the memo, I don't know, but things are back on track again. :-)

No FFL copy = no gun. Just the view from my saddle. And no I am not an FFL holder, but I do buy and sell guns somewhat regularly(not a business) and have never had an FFL refuse to send me a copy.

'DITTO" No FFL no sale. Something just not right.

Archived