SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Port Arms - a question

Joe Cross, SASS #13848 L

phantom , i may have drawn an unfounded conclusion , i took an early thread to indicate a new trend ... ".. Match directors have switched to "gun in hand' mostly due to frustration ..."

im not one to very involved in the 'minutia' of it all , but my point was there is no reason to change the name of the position , or anything else we do - if there is a need to redefine or clearly add definition , lets do it , there will always be 'gamers' , we just need to clearly say what is meant and enforce the rules , we all know who the "clear definitions" apply to , and its a minority of our group ,

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am curious as to the clubs that don't want muzzles pointed over the berm handle 50% of the SxS shooters who do it every time they shuck their shells. We have a hole in on of our roofs from a shooter who missed the lever on his SxS and had a AD. I understand the need to keep shots in thee berm just wondering how it's handled.

Not a problem with the tiny pellets from the sg as they have lost momentum and the ability to do damage not far past the berm. Unlike the rifle whose pill even at cowboy velocities can travel quite a ways.

here in FL some clubs say it is a MSV or even SDQ to lever before you get the rifle to the shoulder, never seen it called though....i

One club around here has that rule but some old pharts are incapable of breaking decades of muscle memory of John Wayne levering that first round. So the "penalty" is only an oft-repeated verbal warning.

There is no problem with port arms if the TO declines to start the shooter in a faulted position.

Not a problem with the tiny pellets from the sg as they have lost momentum and the ability to do damage not far past the berm. Unlike the rifle whose pill even at cowboy velocities can travel quite a ways.

One club around here has that rule but some old pharts are incapable of breaking decades of muscle memory of John Wayne levering that first round. So the "penalty" is only an oft-repeated verbal warning.

There is no problem with port arms if the TO declines to start the shooter in a faulted position.

While some have taken the option of thinking otherwise my question was a honest one. Especially since I've seen shotgun slugs sneak their way into matches more times than I've seen a AD happen during cowboy port arms. At Guns if August they run their own version of port arms. Gun butt on gunleather (not shot gun belt) and muzzle anywhere within the 170. It's repeatable and easy to enforce.

It will always come down to education, experience and dedication of the volunteer TO's to stay up with rules and the fair application of said rules to all shooters

Sooooooooooo......................never gonna happen

Never seen a slug sneak its way into a CAS match. Since May 96 never not once. Who would and why would anyone ever do that? I never even say any of the "ringed" rounds that got illegalized here while back. Was it just an oversight. I have some low brass slugs that look like featherlights almost but sheesh pay attention people.

I like port arms and would hate for it to go away. Rifle at shoulder sighting down barrel -- not so much.

I am curious as to the clubs that don't want muzzles pointed over the berm handle 50% of the SxS shooters who do it every time they shuck their shells. We have a hole in on of our roofs from a shooter who missed the lever on his SxS and had a AD. I understand the need to keep shots in thee berm just wondering how it's handled.

We have low berms and houses that have encroached on the range. So, we do a "low port arms" for that reason. Many folks start to lever the gun as they mount it and fir us it's too risky. Bullets go along way and can hurt people nearby but 7 1/2 shot not so much.

Never seen a slug sneak its way into a CAS match. Since May 96 never not once. Who would and why would anyone ever do that? I never even say any of the "ringed" rounds that got illegalized here while back. Was it just an oversight. I have some low brass slugs that look like featherlights almost but sheesh pay attention people.

I like port arms and would hate for it to go away. Rifle at shoulder sighting down barrel -- not so much.

The three times that I have personally seen slugs go downrange at a CAS match were all by accident. Two of those times were by very green shooters. It's probably a regional thing as the majority of our deer hunting here in MI is shotgun zone and lots of shooters have slugs laying around. And yes while I may seem like a moron I do realize that shot does not travel as far as a bullet.

Welcome to the midwest...

Yep... Deer huntin' around here..

We have a shotgun target that has one big ol' ding in it..

Been there fer about 4 years..

Shooter was in a hurry gettin' ready for the shoot..

Grabbed a slug...

Rance ;)

Thinkin' they're still gettin' ribbed about it.. :P:D

R we really to the point that some range rules state "no muzzles pointing over the burm"

Get out of hear

You gotta be jokeing

Seems that way and is why my question still stands. How do you get a rifle from the loading table to the firing line and then from the firing line to the unloading table???

Seems that way and is why my question still stands. How do you get a rifle from the loading table to the firing line and then from the firing line to the unloading table???

You go over to the "muzzle up, muzzle down" thread and argue about it over there. :ph34r:

You go over to the "muzzle up, muzzle down" thread and argue about it over there. :ph34r:

muzzle down would do that

now i have to redesign my gun cart?

now we need 50 more feet of burms for cart parking

yikes

lets pretend i said this over there

Archived