SASS Wire Forum

Thoughts on the Olympics.......

I don't know how many watch the Olympics, but the level of competition is just nuts. Bode Miller in the men's downhill was 0.52 seconds behind the gold medal winner......HALF A STINKING SECOND!!!!!!! The difference between a gold medal and 8th place. Makes you wonder how it was in times past when some goober was sitting there timing things with a stopwatch. Maybe the level of competition was less back then......or was it????

Just something to chew on, ramblings from my saddle.

Sus amigo,

JHC

Many years ago, I timed swim meets. We used stop watches. One result was overturned because a parent had a camera and showed the result tot he officials on tv. I wonder if they would have showed the result if their daughter had an unfavorable result.

I share the distain for "judged" events, but find many of them compelling, competitive, and very athletic sports.

Don't know the answer for these, but may be the potential for controversy just adds to the attraction and perhaps the enjoyment of the subsequent controversy and debate?

edit for spelling (a non controversial subject, si?)

I don't think the level of competition was less (back then). The quality of most of the equipment used has gotten better. The level of training has also improved. I guess what I am tiring to say there have been vast improvements in sports science, which has lead to the athletes being more equal in ability. Just my $.02.

Ain't no different from CAS! Look at the scores from a CAS match and check out the times in the Top Ten.

Rye

I'd like to see the "figures" brought back into figure skating. Now it's just another ice dancing competition.

Compulsory figures are done off camera. They are more boring than watching paint dry.

Being in the skating arena for many years I am appalled by the lack of good choreography. The "tricks" have become the driving force of skating and they get points for even attempting them.

I'll quit my rant there before I explode.

It's the nature of most winter events that they are against the clock instead of head-to-head. A big exception is the cross-country ski events.

But the downhill events have to be against the clock. For one thing, if they were head-to-head, people would get killed in collisions.

What makes the tiny time differentials even more frustrating is that there are always subtle changes in the course after each skier goes down, and sometimes not so subtle over the course of an event. This makes the tenths-of-a-second differences even more meaningless. But I can't think of another way to do it.

Compulsory figures are done off camera. They are more boring than watching paint dry.

Being in the skating arena for many years I am appalled by the lack of good choreography. The "tricks" have become the driving force of skating and they get points for even attempting them.

I'll quit my rant there before I explode.

I believe they got rid of the compulsory figures altogether in the early 1990's.

EC

I believe they got rid of the compulsory figures altogether in the early 1990's.

EC

I am old and remember the not so good old days.

I have always thought judged events are crap

Agreed. Sports are where you go faster, higher, further, or are stronger, or score more pts. When you're awarded pts........ it's an artistic or style event. Not a sport.

Archived