SASS Wire Forum

73 Question

Irish Tom

I'm sure this has come up before, but is there really any difference in the Uberti 1873 rifles that are imported by Taylors, Cimarron and Stoeger? All made by Uberti, any real differences in quality between importers. Thanks.

Irish Tom.

No, functionally and the parts should be pretty much interchangeable in rifles and handguns, aside from the fit-up done by the assemblers. For instance, Model P grips rarely fit another Model P as well as the revolver they came off of, because the grip and the grip frame are "rough-finished" as a unit, then finished separately. Aside from minor factory variances, the weapons are the same.

The importer/distributers othe often DO order a run of weapons (rifles or handguns) with different barrel lengths, finish, sights, etc. You know; cosmetic stuff ALSO, obviously, the roll-stamping on the guns are different to reflect the name of the importer/distributer. You might also see cosmetic metal and wood stamping on the frames and wood to reflect reproducing US Government stamps and inspector cartouches; that sort of thing. Seldom would you see a wholesale customer actually go to Italy and oversee the assembly and QC inspect the parts used in the weapons.

S'matter, Tom? Problem with the Marlin???

:blink:

Seems to me he shoots it rather well!

I'm sure this has come up before, but is there really any difference in the Uberti 1873 rifles that are imported by Taylors, Cimarron and Stoeger? All made by Uberti, any real differences in quality between importers. Thanks.

Irish Tom.

No matter what the companies tell you none, except barrrel markings might be different. Go with whoever sells the exact model you want cheaper or the one that is avail when you need it.

The models from the plant come in different grades, although both the plant and the distributors say they're the same.

That being said, the distributor is the one that makes the gun better.

Cimmaron, IMNSHO, makes the best. They seem to take the gun apart, fit, tweak and adjust it to make it better out of the box.

Next would be Taylors and last is EMF.

You mileage may vary, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I don't play a doctor on tv.

Strange. Cimarron doesn't take anything out of the box anymore than anyone else does. They can't afford the extra handling nor the cost of skilled workers. Just doesn't happen.

After 16+ years of building competition CAS guns, there is NO difference mechanically in any Uberi guns beyond the markings stamped on them. As above, find the best price (there all fairly close) or the one you want and buy it. Then find a skilled tuner to set it up or not.

On a practical note, whether you intend to be one of the top 10 percent or not, replace ALL the springs with lighter ones so the internal parts don't chew themselves up.

Coffinmaker

PS: occasionally, you'll run into a "Friday" gun that needs everything fixed.

The models from the plant come in different grades, although both the plant and the distributors say they're the same.

Cimmaron, IMNSHO, makes the best. They seem to take the gun apart, fit, tweak and adjust it to make it better out of the box.

You mileage may vary, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I don't play a doctor on tv.

Howdy

That is the myth that has been going around for years. Colorado Coffinmaker is correct. If the distributors were putting extra labor into the guns, you would be paying for it.

If the distributors actually took the Uberti rifles apart all those

screws installed by the Uberti gorilla would be easier to remove by the

gunsmith or buyer.

Absolutely!

S'matter, Tom? Problem with the Marlin???

:blink:

Seems to me he shoots it rather well!

That he does! :D

J-Bar, Noz,

I appreciate the kind words in regards to my shooting skills, You sure you got the right guy? Actually I love my Marlin. It has been an excellent gun for several years and many thousands of rounds. I have always thought the Winchester 73 is just about the sexiest gun in the world and at my age, I'm just trying to improve my image. :D

Thanks to all who replied. So I guess the bottom line is, they are all about the same regardless of the importer.

J-Bar, Noz,

I appreciate the kind words in regards to my shooting skills, You sure you got the right guy? Actually I love my Marlin. It has been an excellent gun for several years and many thousands of rounds. I have always thought the Winchester 73 is just about the sexiest gun in the world and at my age, I'm just trying to improve my image. :D

If you are really shopping for the best quality 73, then you should look to the New Winchester 1873. Build quality is better than any of the Uberti imports. It comes short stroked from the factory, and it's smooth and ready to run out of the box (for 90% of us). Winchester even properly tapped the tang so you can add a tang sight if you want one. All of this for the same money as an Uberti. In addition, if you need more, Pioneer Gunworks has Super Short Stokes kits, aluminum carriers, a firing pin extension. :)

Strange. Cimarron doesn't take anything out of the box anymore than anyone else does. They can't afford the extra handling nor the cost of skilled workers. Just doesn't happen.

After 16+ years of building competition CAS guns, there is NO difference mechanically in any Uberi guns beyond the markings stamped on them. As above, find the best price (there all fairly close) or the one you want and buy it. Then find a skilled tuner to set it up or not.

On a practical note, whether you intend to be one of the top 10 percent or not, replace ALL the springs with lighter ones so the internal parts don't chew themselves up.

Coffinmaker

PS: occasionally, you'll run into a "Friday" gun that needs everything fixed.

I can tell you one thing that Cimarron does that makes the Trapper model 73 different. They use a different mag tube spring. I know this because I bought a 73 from a gun dealer here and it said it was from Stoger. It was in 357/38 special and could only get 7 rounds in the tube. I read an article in GOTOW and they said that Cimarron trapper models would hold 10 rounds. I contacted Cimarron and bought two mag tube springs and after swapping the spring out my rifle now takes 10 rounds in the tube and feeds great. So that is one difference they do make with this specific model. The follower they use was different and wouldn't work in the Stoger uberti gun. I bought some of them from Cimarron too but they got sent back since they wouldn't fit right. They gave me my money back PDQ. Nice folks at Cimarron and very helpful.

This has nothing partriculary to do with Uberti, as such, however:

Taylors and Cimarron customer service are pretty good.

There are some considerations if you want to buy the gun already tricked into a CAS shooter. If you buy the gun directly from the gunsmith who does the miscellaneous conversion work, you can usually get a better deal than if you buy the gun and then start sending it off to be converted. Less shipping, for one thing, plus the gunsmith may pass on savings to you, since he buys it at a dealer's discount, then does the work and then ships it to your local FFL holder.

And your authority for this is...?

Archived