SASS Wire Forum

Maybe the ammo insanity isn't over

Chantry

Was watching an auction for something else and I just saw 2000 rounds of Remington 22 LR go for $1100 dollars, yes that is eleven hundred dollars I just typed.

I doubt I've bought more the 2 or 3 guns for that price. :o:blink::wacko:

It is not over. I don't see it ending until 2016 if we're lucky. It may get a little better but I think that's all we can hope for. :angry:

I just don't understand it. It is not difficult to produce .22 ammunition if you have the equipement. Most of it is automated.

But it never seems to get anywhere. Midway sent me a notice that they had CCI .22LR. By time I called it was gone.

CR man said that it was a small order of only 47 bricks. Most went for back orders.

I just don't understand it. It is not difficult to produce .22 ammunition if you have the equipement. Most of it is automated.

But it never seems to get anywhere. Midway sent me a notice that they had CCI .22LR. By time I called it was gone.

CR man said that it was a small order of only 47 bricks. Most went for back orders.

People are buying it up as fast as it can be made. I think we're in the "buy a brick now even if you don't need it because you don't know when you'll see another brick" phase

And now those @$$#*%%'s in Sacramento have passed a $50 "fee" to buy ammo with a background check.

TF

Tom, I don't think it's a done deal. I'd like to think it's too stupid to ever be a done deal.... :(

People are buying it up as fast as it can be made. I think we're in the "buy a brick now even if you don't need it because you don't know when you'll see another brick" phase

More like some folks with deeper pockets than mine buying everything they can get their hands on and piling it up in their garage.

I think you are correct. Panic buying is not going to help our cause though. AND, I doubt that it is only 1 brick if they can get more.

"And now those @$$#*%%'s in Sacramento have passed a $50 "fee" to buy ammo with a background check."

TF

=========================

Now! not exactly.

The bill came out of Senate Appropriations Committee, May 25.

NOW ! Goes to the Senate floor for full vote. I has not yet been scheduled.

If passed the permit to sell (vendor license) will start July 1, 2014.

The permit to buy will start Jan 1, 2017.

---------

The bill has been modified several times and there is still time to contact state senators.

Oh, the Bill is SB 53 AMMO PURCHASE PERMITS(De Leon)

I have 2 bricks and a carton with 525 in it. Have had them since before the shortage. In fact I gave away 6 bricks last year. If I had only known they were worth that much to someone.

Last Sept 2012, I was cleaning out the shop and had two cases of CCI Mini mag .22s. (10,000 count)

I took them to the range for two months and put them on my table for sale.

$7.50/100 box.

I only sold about 3500 of them.

Then no one want them at that price.

Brought the balance them home and placed them in the safe.

Turned out to be a good move on my part.

They are no longer for sale.

In case you're wondering.

I stopped in a store new to me here in Las Vegas called Gun Show Ammo......

I walked in, saw a 1000 round box of 45 auto for $995.00.

I walked out and will never be back.

I started buying .22's in the 70's at Wal Mart for... $4.96 per bulk pack, I think. Every time I was in, I tossed a couple in the shopping cart. Eventually it went up to $9.96, which wasn't all that long ago.

My basement flooded a few years ago and I carried box after box after box of .22's out (along with everything else) so the cleaning company could get things cleaned up and dried... I really had no idea how much I had til that point and haven't bought any more since. I just did a rough count and STILL have ~51,000 rounds on hand... but for $28,000.00, I could have -0- on hand real quick! That's nearly three times what I paid for my first house in 1978. :blink:

I had about 10,000 or so rounds of 22's when I moved back here in 01.Shot some once in a while but not very often.When my Dad died in 04 he was like J Bar. I inhierited about 30-40,000 more 22's.Took 10,000 rounds out to the range and gave them away to the Boy Scout shooters we let use our range.Then took another 10,000 out again and put them on a table marked for Buckeroo's and Buckerette's.Would have been ok,but there were more people that saw oooo...free ammo and took over half of them and I know they don't have kids in that age range.Haven't taken any out since.So I guess now I'm a hoarder.

While I don't have as much as some of you do, neither am I likely to run out anytime soon. However I'd be hard pressed not to buy a brick or two if I ran across them at $25/brick or cheaper. Not because I need it right now, but because of the uncertainty of how long it will be before things return to close to the way it was 12-18 months ago.

Last Sat. I stopped in Walmart on my way to the range. They had four 525 rd count bulk boxes of Remington Golden Bullet 22s. I bought two of them for $21.50 a box.

An hour ago I was in Academy and they had just about every popular caliber on the shelf but 22s. Gal said they sold out about 8:10 a.m..They are still limiting sales to one box per customer.

Archived