SASS Wire Forum

Small frame 22 revolver for 7 year old ?

Loco Vaquero

The Colt New Frontier in .22LR/22Mag.

There is or were a pair of steel framed models for sale on the SASS Wire Classifieds. Out of production now, but they were made in steel or aluminum framed models. That's what I'd go with. Model P style and feel, just scaled down a tad.

Cat Brules

Putting aside guns no longer in production, the choices include:

Ruger Bearcat

Heritage Rough Rider

Uberti Stallion

In this Order :)

#1 Ruger Bearcat

#2 Uberti Stallion

#3 Heritage Rough Rider

Also a Henry Youth Model .22

And a Stoeger 410 .

I have never owned one, but have always wanted one after I fired one a few times...a classic Smith and Wesson J-frame Kit gun. If memory serves I think it was Model 34. That small grip should fit small hands, and they were pretty light.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=330538801

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=330312372

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Lower right-hand corner of this pic... S&W Model 63, if you can find one. They are real small...

IMG_0339_zps8c1f0ce3.jpg

For comparison, that is a Model 66 .357 in the lower left-hand corner...

ts

Are you locked into a single-action cowboy-type?

If not, think about a Smith 317. It's an aluminum gun. It has a steel barrel liner and steel chamber liners in the cylinder. My 2" weighs in at a whole eight ounces. My 4-year-old granddaughter loved it. Had to just about fight to get it back.

J-frame, eight-shot.

Model31722LRAirlite.jpg

WHen my Buckerette Kota Khaos first started I bought her a pair of Heritage Rough Riders, Cheep and readily available. If you have seen her a t a shoot you know she is Tiny. I bought them because they were cheep and did action jobs myself. I didnt want to spend alot in case she lost interest. Now a year later, an EOT match 8th place, Nevada State match 2nd place, 5th place WInter Range and at least 2 dozen monthly matches and unknown practice sessions later she still uses them WITHOUT a problem. She has tried Bearcats but thought they felt too small. SHe has her eye on a set of 32's but not yet. Speaking from personal experience there is NOTHING WRONG with Rough Riders.

I have a little 4-inch barreled, square butt, Smith & Wesson Model 34-1 that I bought new several years ago for my wife to shoot . She says it's not for sale. Great little .22 revolver that I think would be perfect for a 7-year-old.

Looks like this photo I found on Google and like a blued version of the Model 63 shown in Tennessee Stud's photo above.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z142/Matt_22_photo/2007_0812Image0018.jpg

2007_0812Image0017.jpg

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but... LITTLE kids and handguns scare me. I've seen kids sweep people (me in particular!) with handguns on ranges more times than I can count.... with same kids' parents/grandparents/guardians/coaches claiming it would NEVER happen with THEIR kids. Just COULDN'T. After all, they were right there! ("Oh Hey Joe! There ya are! Did ya git that new one-piece firin' pin ya was talkin' about yet?")

DO take care - and don't talk to Joe when yer coachin' the kids. And if ya see someone coachin' a kid, don't distract 'em unless it's to address a safety concern! :mellow:

I won't flame you, and my 7 year old shoots me with me regularly. In fact, as I mentioned on another thread, he shot clean 10 days ago. I'm always a little nervous when he's handling guns, pistol or long gun makes no difference.

However, either me, or one other Cowboy I'm comfortable with ALWAYS TO him through the stage. I always supervise him at the loading table whether I'm the LTO (rarely) or not. I always make an affirmative handoff to a trusted posse member to get him through the ULT. I tell him up front, if I see him trying to speed up I'll stop him and he'll be done for the day. The only thing I emphasize with him is safety and smoothness. I'm trying to thouroughly ingrain gun safety and proper gun handling techniques to the point where they're second nature.

Good on ya, Burt! ;)

And congratulations to your youngster for his clean match!! ^_^

Anyway, no age is too young OR too old for safety training.

Sadly, there are a few (and I hate to say it, but among us) who don't take it seriously enough.

My own godson is fortunate to still have both arms after a split-second accident with a .410 when he was about eight years old. Somebody just wasn't watching quite close enough; shotgun slipped and the entire shot column passed through his bicep. His arm was saved, but he spent several weeks in hospital. I'm still haunted by the memory of those hours with his parents in the OR waiting room...

At that same age my own son was "helped" by a gentleman manning the ULT. Last shooter of the day. The pard was kind enough to help him by clearing his guns and casing his rifle - an 1890 Winchester. Except when we were home and I opened the rifle before placing it in the safe - it had a live round chambered. The pard manning the LT hadn't supervised the loading well, or the counters weren't counting, and the ULT monitor was preoccupied with making "chin music." All good people, just slips in diligence.

That incident at the ULT is exactly the kind of thing that gets folks shot. That's why I load for him, TO for him, and check the loaded/unloaded status of any gun that's left my possession. He's asked me, 'Dad why check to see if that gun is loaded, you unloaded it before you put it in the safe?' I tell him 'First rule of gun safety, ALL guns are loaded until you personally verify that they aren't." He knows the three rules by heart, now the objective is to make sure following them is automatic.

Of course the fact that I've always been a little OCD makes it easier. ;)

I taught my daughter, and have taught my son-in-law and my granddaughters, about the Evil Bullet Faries. The Evil Bullet Faries load guns when people are not paying attention. If you check the gun, and lay it down to go take a leak, when you come back in the room and pick it up, you check again, because the Evil Bullet Faries are liable to have loaded it when you left. Hell, if you check a gun, verify it's empty, and then hand it to me, I'm gonna check it again, just to make sure the Evil Bullet Faries didn't load it while it was going from your hand to mine. If you put an empty gun away, and when you get it back out and check it you find it's loaded - Evil Bullet Faries been there.

Evil Bullet Faries is dangerous critters, and you gotta watch out for 'em.

That's why, whenever you pick up a gun, you check it. 'Cause of them dang Evil Bullet Faries.

I won't flame you, and my 7 year old shoots me with me regularly. In fact, as I mentioned on another thread, he shot clean 10 days ago. I'm always a little nervous when he's handling guns, pistol or long gun makes no difference.

However, either me, or one other Cowboy I'm comfortable with ALWAYS TO him through the stage. I always supervise him at the loading table whether I'm the LTO (rarely) or not. I always make an affirmative handoff to a trusted posse member to get him through the ULT. I tell him up front, if I see him trying to speed up I'll stop him and he'll be done for the day. The only thing I emphasize with him is safety and smoothness. I'm trying to thouroughly ingrain gun safety and proper gun handling techniques to the point where they're second nature.

My hats off to you for teaching you son gun safety. I did this with my boy. Started out young with a BB gun and moved right on up as he was able. He's 28 now, and I couldn't be more proud of him. My dad did the same with me. I think it's called respect. Congrats to your boy on the clean shoot!

South Platte :FlagAm:

That's why, whenever you pick up a gun, you check it. 'Cause of them dang Evil Bullet Faries.

I love it...!! :lol:

My hats off to you for teaching you son gun safety. I did this with my boy. Started out young with a BB gun and moved right on up as he was able. He's 28 now, and I couldn't be more proud of him. My dad did the same with me. I think it's called respect. Congrats to your boy on the clean shoot!

South Platte :FlagAm:

Ain't it cool watchin' 'em grow up, SP?

Sassparilla Kid, Age 8

Sassparilla Kid, Age 20 (12 years later to the day)

Thass him, Cap'n.

That boy was deadly on doves and ducks at 8 years old with his li'l single-shot 20 ga.

Now.... for revolvers...

Got these for the boy when he was 12 - nickeled Stampedes. The late Texas Jack did the engraving... the boy made the holsters and belt when he was 14... "coffee table project"

A Boy and his Guns

Rarely...

Full-time Industrial Technology student at Fresno State University, and 50 - 60 hours a week working on a ranch... that boy doesn't have time for much.

He'll be doing the Fort Miller annual, most likely. "B Western."

And he ain't fast*; he knows he ain't fast*: "It's all about style, Dad!" :lol:

*Back when he was in high school, I once made the observation to the kid:

"Son, it wouldn't matter if you were on your way to a butt-whuppin' from the baddest bully on campus or a kiss from the prettiest cheerleader, you'd be movin' at the same speed...!

Archived