SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of M1 Garands

Pulp, SASS#28319

Thanks. My dad served in Korea, and it would be nice to have a rifle that also served in Korea.

There's one listed on Gun Broker as a Korean War Era brought back from Korea in very nice condition.Stamped S-A-3-51.Item# 302444112 and has 12 1/2 hrs left on the auction.A bid of $600 and reserve not met yet.Actually there's 140 of them in the auction.

Did a quick search and if the information was accurate, it looks like Century Arms bid about $26 million for the rifles and parts, some in original wrappers, back on 6/29/12.

Probably be a couple of months to get them shipped, un-packed and ready for sale.

CMP will not be handling them. I know the Koreans were searching for an importer and perhaps Century got the deal. Can't confirm it. I suspect they will not be cheap. CMP is still the best source.

CMP will not be handling them. I know the Koreans were searching for an importer and perhaps Century got the deal. Can't confirm it. I suspect they will not be cheap. CMP is still the best source.

I heard SARCO and IMA were also interested. IMA even sent representatives over to look and inventory what was being held and available for shipment. One of their news letters said many M1 were pristine. MT

Looks like the supply of M1/M2 carbines has dried up at CMP. Lottsa luck on getting an M2 Mr. Civilian.

Aside from the wear and tear on the wood, the Garand I got from them was an excellent purchase. The wood was not all that bad either, but it did have some dings and major nicks.

I took a look at the M1 A, over on the Springfield Armory site. YIKES! You are correct Bob, it would take quite a few plates of rice and beans to pay for one of them. Their site directs you to Davidson's as a source and they are out of stock. I would guess that the availability is a matter of speculation.

Is it mandatory to belong to a Gun Club to get a CMP rifle?

I believe that you must be a member of a CMP recognized gun club, Sam. Their web site has all of the requirements to purchase. I think the original thinking was that the rifles and such were to be sold to the populace in order to keep shooting skills at an acceptable level, and they want you to shoot in an organized venue. At least for the appearance of doing so. They are selling Hornady ammunition now, developed for the the M1 Garand and it's operating rod issues.

Lottsa luck on getting an M2 Mr. Civilian.

I believe the Amnesty of 1986 and registering of all fully autos for civilian market. Now makes any newly brought over, or those not registered, can only be sold to Class 3 license holders, and police departments. Any M2s would probable never see civilian ownership.

I see were fully auto M16, and Thompsons go for 3000.00 to 7000.00. But civilian legal sales they are 15000.00 to 35000.00. I read somewere there are only, registered,privately owned using the tax stamp, 150,000 fully auto firearms in the USA. MT

The easiest route is to join the Garand Collectors Assn. $25/year and a great newletter!

GCA

The CMP lists what organizations qualify.

You can search clubs here.

Check out their web page at http://odcmp.com/, it gives you all the hoops you gotta jump through before they will sell you an M1.

Their M1's are delivered to your home via FEDEX for 29.95.

:FlagAm: For any retired military, a copy of your ID card meets all requirements. I have two Garands, one carbine, and a Model of 1917 Enfield. Also plenty of Lake City 30-06 ammo.

Archived