SASS Wire Forum

Open bore shotgun

Colt Walker 45

Howdy

Somebody cut down my nice old Stevens hammer double to 24" before I bought it. Works fine, knocks down everything I point it at. Ya just have to take a moment to aim.

Cut off my 28 inch barrel Stoeger SxS to 22 inches. I am wondering in anyone has experience doing this. Did it work ok at SASS distances. Do you have any problems with the knock downs or seen any issues. Thanks for in info.

Colt, I have had success with open bore Ithaca/SKBs in 20-21" lengths for 8-10 years (and yes it takes the chrome out of the barrels). From knockdowns to flipper targets to aerial birds. If shooting smokeless I might make a choice in shot/powder but in BP I stick with same fairly heavy load of CB Goex/1+oz7.5 shot. bb

Ya point a shotgun, not aim. If they were meant to be aimed, they would have sights front and rear.

I just knew somebody was going to say that. Sorry, I beg to differ. When I shoot Trap, I point the gun. Half the time I don't even see the muzzle. But CAS ain't Trap or Skeet. The targets are not moving. I ALWAYS take a moment to actually aim my shotgun in CAS, no different than I do with my rifle. Like I said, anything I point my old Stevens at, falls down. In CAS, guys who are not very familiar with shotguns often shoot over or under the target because they are not used to the sight picture. Generally speaking, if they take a moment to form a sight picture, just like with the rifle, they will hit the target. Just because there is no rear sight on a shotgun, why would you treat it any differently when shooting stationary targets than you would a rifle?

Ya point a shotgun, not aim. If they were meant to be aimed, they would have sights front and rear.

Well, ya miss a few now and then do ya.

At the distances that we shoot, I don't think that you can get too much spead with the shotgun. When I switched from a Stoeger to a Baikal, I had a lot of shotgun misses. I pulled the choke tubes to see what they were (Modified, Full). I swapped in two Open choke tubes and my misses decreased considerably.

At the distances that we shoot, I don't think that you can get too much spead with the shotgun. When I switched from a Stoeger to a Baikal, I had a lot of shotgun misses. I pulled the choke tubes to see what they were (Modified, Full). I swapped in two Open choke tubes and my misses decreased considerably.

When I got my Stoeger Coach gun, I ran a bunch of patterns, using everything from Skeet to Modified chokes. (.005 to .020).

I tested/patterned from distances of 10 to 15 yards and found that I.C. chokes (.010) provided the best size patterns that I got from any of the others. These gave enough spread to easily cover a target, while holding the shot concentrated enough to get the most energy on the target.

Once that was done, I have onlt had 1 KD target not go down in the last year and a half, and that was my fault as I wasn't pointing that target correctly to start with.

I'll agree that you could "Get By" with an open bore, (no choke), but it certainly isn't better than using a small amount of choke. Better concentration of the shot results in much higher kinetic energy, and is more reliable on KD targets.

RBK

I, unlike others, prefer Modified/Modified.

I concluded that the best choke for my short-barreled '87 is improved cylinder. I base that on the fact that that was the tube installed when I received it and I was too lazy to try any of the others. :P

Did the same thing myself and it worked like a champ. No problems with KD's or flyers that popped up. My first several years of registered skeet was all shot with cylinder bore. Smithy.

Archived