SASS Wire Forum

Not good......

CNN says ship was acting strange. Navy broadcasted intintions including warning shots. Ship did not heed warnings. My priliminary call is Justified.

CNN says ship was acting strange. Navy broadcasted intintions including warning shots. Ship did not heed warnings. My priliminary call is Justified.

Yep. Do what the nice warship says if you are a friendly. At most it costs you some time.

It's entirely possible this was deliberate to test American response. And what a PR boon for Islamists if the test goes badly.

"...The boat appeared to be a civilian vessel about 30 feet (9 meters) long and powered by three outboard motors. Similar boats are used for fishing in the region, though Iran's Revolutionary Guard also employs relatively small, fast-moving craft in the Gulf.

U.S. military vessels routinely cross paths with Iranian ships in international waters in the Gulf without incident, but speed boats from Iran's Revolutionary Guard have passed close to U.S. ships in incidents that have raised alarm in Washington."

More

Wonder if anyone in the area ever heard of the USS Cole? Probably not. That was 12 years ago and ancient history. Besides, it probably never happened and is in fact an urban legend.

Somehow, I am going with the Navy on this one. Just a gut feeling.

The report I read said that the boat was coming at the US ship at high speed. Warning shots were fire, but I kept coming. the next shots were for real. A boat like that with those high powered O/B's is probably capable of close to 100 mph. Don't leave much time for guess work.

If you're approaching a naval vessel, anybody's naval vessel, and are ordered to stay away, it's probably a good idea to do just that. <_<

I've noticed that they have guns and sharp objects on board those things.

Sounds like an attempt to provoke a confrontation. And probably ordered by the Iranian high command. I do feel sorry for the families who lost loved ones due to a stupid political play for sympathy. Can you imagine how it must feel to be ordered to take a run at a US Navy vessel in a speedboat that must be seen as a suicide attack by the vessel being attacked? Sure hope that the crew were all volunteers hoping to meet 27 virgins.

Sounds like an attempt to provoke a confrontation. And probably ordered by the Iranian high command. I do feel sorry for the families who lost loved ones due to a stupid political play for sympathy. Can you imagine how it must feel to be ordered to take a run at a US Navy vessel in a speedboat that must be seen as a suicide attack by the vessel being attacked? Sure hope that the crew were all volunteers hoping to meet 27 virgins.

I heerd that times are tough and all they are offering is 26 and a half virgins.

Russia on human rights isn't that some sort oxymoron!

And I thought that legend was 72 virgins.... but could some of them be male virgins?

That would certainly change the game a bit.

Doesn't the approaching a naval vessel with guns fall under the rule of don't mess with a bigger vessel?

Certainly falls under the don't mess with the closest big dog!

Badlands Bob and Utah Bob certainly have this right! :FlagAm:

It was crewed by Indians. Indians are predominantly Hindus, not Muslims. No reason for India to provoke the US.

Just a big screw up on their part imho. They forgot one rule of the sea:

The boat with the biggest guns has the right of way.

Archived