SASS Wire Forum

Cross Country Travel Trailer Camping

Bama Red

Our youngest daughter, her husband and our two granddaughters will be traveling from Knoxville to San Diego to Yosemite Nat'l Park to Estes Park, CO and then back to Knoxville this coming June. Basically what they are interested in knowing is if the KOA campgrounds offer significant advantages for the price over other campgrounds.

On the way out, they will be driving to deliver a church bus to a congregation of a Mexican church just over the border from San Diego. This church is sponsored by our daughter's church. Their personal time will happen on the trip back.They want to spend the majority of their time in the Yosemite park area and the Estes Park area. The church has given Steve two weeks paid leave for the delivery and all travel time, so it will not be a leisurely cross-country ramble. Any info will be appreciated.

Don't know about other campgrounds, but have stayed in several KOA campgrounds in several states when traveling on the motorcycle going west, have found them to be nice and clean, the shower/bathroom very clean, pretty quiet campgrounds, some have pools to swim in, not sure if all of them do, but the ones I stayed in did. I haven't been to one in many years, but the years I did, had a good experience and would do it again, basically I can't remember the price since it was 5 or 6 years ago and I was tenting it also, so price could be different with a trailer.

Not sure if I answered what you wanted or not, but I wouldn't hesitate to camp there again

All for now JD Trampas

That's just the kind of info I'm looking for, JD!'

Y'all keep it coming, the more info, the better decision the kids can make. Thanks, Pards!

Frankly, I prefer to stay at KOA campgrounds when I travel. They are consistently clean, the personnel friendly and helpful, and have nearly all of the amenities you could want. Some KOAs now have fenced dog parks for our furry traveling companions to stretch their legs off leash. I've stayed in several KOAs in smaller towns in TX and NM which have overnight facilities for horses. KOA seems to be priced competitively, and with their discount card, you can save a bit more. I don't hesitate to recommend KOA. -- GIT

Yup.

KOA offer good clean facilities, for the most part. I did stay in one a few years ago that was well not so much. But that was the exception. I reccomend getting a Wodalls camp ground directory and checking out the rating system for the KOAs along thier route. Great opportunity Hope they have a great time seeing this great country.

KB

I also recommend KOA. Wife and I lived in one of their cabins for 3 weeks when we moved to Texas. Great time and pleasant folks that will work with ya. I would have ya ask them if they can help plan their trip. Might be able to arrange reservations too since they will be traveling during summer break. Will be sending ya a pm during my next break.

We just got our trailer, so I can't say for sure how KOAs are for that mode of travel. But while growing up my family went tent camping all over the west at least once or twice a summer, and we stayed in KOAs whenever possible. They were my parents' first choice of campgrounds, and I don't know why but there had to be a good reason for it. My dad was one of those people that wouldn't spend a lot of money on anything, but demanded a good return on what he did spend. Heck, the KOA in Rapid City saved our lives one time (long story). Now that me and my husband have a trailer we definitely plan on staying at a KOA or two if we can ever afford the gas to go somewhere :wacko:

Two books that will be helpful are Woodalls campground directory and The Next Exit. They can be found at dealers and camping centers like camping world. The Woodalls guide lists all the campgrounds by stare and towns/cities it lists all the amenities, prices, and rates the campground on a star system. The Next Exit gives a listing of restaurants, gas stations, stores, auto repair shops, extra. I have both books and use them all the time.

Been staying in KOAs for 25 or 30 years. I second what everyone else has said...clean, easy to use and for the most part great places to stay with an RV. One thing they will do for you is make a reservation for you for the next night (If you havn't done so already)at another KOA. I also have their discount card. My recommendation is plan out your itinary and make the reservations in advance. Checkin is then a breeze. Don't hesitate to ask them about side trips too.

I travel in a van cross-country and frequently stay in KOAs. They are usually good and are close to highways (sometimes too close). They are not always the best deal. I've stayed in state parks in Arkansas, Utah and Oregon that had full hook-ups at half the price I would pay in a KOA. These were more serene locations than the KOAs but were difficult to reserve on a weekend if they were on a lake or beach.

The Jellystone campground just east of Estes Park is very clean and nice, also owned and operated by Sammy Wad Cutter a fellow SASS shooter.

LL'

Two books that will be helpful are Woodalls campground directory and The Next Exit. They can be found at dealers and camping centers like camping world. The Woodalls guide lists all the campgrounds by stare and towns/cities it lists all the amenities, prices, and rates the campground on a star system. The Next Exit gives a listing of restaurants, gas stations, stores, auto repair shops, extra. I have both books and use them all the time.

Another helpful item is a GPS with traffic. The LMT version allows you to download the latest maps from Garmin for FREE for as long as you own it. It will not only tell you exactly how to get to the campground (where the roads may have changed since the printing of the books), it will also help you navigate around traffic, road blockages etc. We won't travel without one.

The Jellystone campground just east of Estes Park is very clean and nice, also owned and operated by Sammy Wad Cutter a fellow SASS shooter.

LL'

We use KOA's quite often, and I would use them again.

And since learnig Sammy Wad Cutter was a fellow SASS member, we stayed there also.

Both are clean, quite and are resonably priced.

I always check www.rvparkreviews.com prior to making any decisions. They have user reviews on everything from USFS campgrounds to KOA's. It is indexed by state and city, with prices, web links, and phone numbers. All campgrounds, KOA included, can vary greatly from place to place and I have found most of the reviews on RV Park Reviews to be very accurate.

Archived