SASS Wire Forum

lightning clones

evil dogooder

Ok I know for race guns they are hard to get one that works well but for just general plinking are they any good. Not shooting fast just deliberate shooting? My mother likes the weight balance of the one she tried in the shop but if it isn't reliable she will pass. Its purposes would be just a varmit/ plinking gun

Well, if it is a Taurus I wouldn't bother, even if it is real cheap. Personally I like the Lightning type rifles, I own an AWA version that shoots well. And I have seen them run real fast in the right hands at matches. What kind of varmints is she after?

I have a Taurus 45 lc,Loved it for the first 200rounds.then it jammed had to send it back for repairs(lifetime with Taurus)

they fixed it and its worked great since.Have been told you may get a good one or bad one?

I love mine.

For that purpose, get a Ruger 10/22.

Luv mine :wub: Got 2 of 'em... Got all carried away with Boyd thumbhole stocks, bull barrels, slickified actions, etc, etc,,,,and scopes almost as long as the barrels! Now i need another "stocker" with open sights, just for fun....LOL :lol:

I've got a Pedersoli/EMF Lightning in 45LC. Love it! I'm not super-fast with it, but it's at least twice as fast as my '73, and at least as accurate. 45LC is a bit much for general plinking, but for CAS it's probably my favorite.

Varmits just skunks and racoons or whatever goes after here chickens or sheep. My mother would like something cowboy style they already have a marlin 22. Eventually she will use it for sass but she will never run it fast physical limitations due to old injuries make that impossible.

+1 for the Pedersoli Lightning. Shooting mine in 44-40 BP without a problem and very accurate (important feature for skunk killing!). No jams, etc., entire 10 stage match without cleaning.

+1 for the Pedersoli Lightning. Shooting mine in 44-40 BP without a problem and very accurate (important feature for skunk killing!). No jams, etc., entire 10 stage match without cleaning.

You, sir, are a liar!* I have it on good authority that no Lightning has ever or will ever go more than two or three stages without breaking or jamming. I personaly know three or four pards right here on this wire that have sworn so after slashing their wrists and swearing oaths under the full moon. I'm equally certain we'll hear from them soon in this very thread.

*Just kidding.

You got to watch out for Outlaw Gambler. ^_^ Just stole an AWA Lightning from him. ;) He said he hated it so much that he wanted to be first in line to buy it if I ever decided to sell it. :)

Marlin(Lightning)Buckhorn

Marlin, I know you have not shot that AWA yet but when you do you will understand why I hated to sell it. But I got my original Colt Lightning back from Eldon, now I have three. Two for me and one for Gambler's Gal. I may have to trade you one of my lightning and get the AWA back. :rolleyes:

Ok I know for race guns they are hard to get one that works well but for just general plinking are they any good. Not shooting fast just deliberate shooting? My mother likes the weight balance of the one she tried in the shop but if it isn't reliable she will pass. Its purposes would be just a varmit/ plinking gun

Personally love my AWA Lightning. Bring her to one of our matches and she can try mine. Need heads-up so that I have enough ammo. We are also testing a Double Duece(.22) Category here. One pistol; pump or lever .22 rifle and SASS legal shotgun. My little Rossi pump is a hoot to shoot.

I have a Taurus Thunderbolt .45colt staiinless I bought a few years back. It works just fine. I only used it in one match because I like my 73 better, and I'm faster with a lever gun, and the Taurus doesn't seem "Cowboy". I've brought it along to several more matches as a backup, and I take it to the range every so often because it really is fun to shoot. Despite what everyone says, I have had no problems with it at all. (one of the "Good ones" ?) It's sort of for sale - I paid $525 for it new but I'll sell it for $375 FTF. Let me know if you're interested. poltroon69@aol.com

The O'Meara Himself

Guess it depends on what kind of varmit she is interested in controlling. I had two Taurs Thunderbolts. The first was a great shooter for plinking, but a disaster when run at SASS speeds, even though mine are not very fast. Taurus replaced it and it shot great on paper. I then ran 10 rounds through it, slam firing, without a problem and traded it away to someone who was not interested in shooting SASS matches.

Two years later, I traded for a Pedersoli and have been very pleased with it. The only problem I have had running it full out is that it requires a tighter crimp on the case than my 73's. The case will catch on the top of the chamber as it makes the turn to line up. I have also had this issue with Marlins, but the 73 is a lot more forgiving. It also has a little blowback, but that is to be expected shooting straight walled cases in a rifle that was designed for bottleneck.

I have a Taurus Thunderbolt .45colt staiinless I bought a few years back. It works just fine. I only used it in one match because I like my 73 better, and I'm faster with a lever gun, and the Taurus doesn't seem "Cowboy". I've brought it along to several more matches as a backup, and I take it to the range every so often because it really is fun to shoot. Despite what everyone says, I have had no problems with it at all. (one of the "Good ones" ?) It's sort of for sale - I paid $525 for it new but I'll sell it for $375 FTF. Let me know if you're interested. poltroon69@aol.com

The O'Meara Himself

Emailed ya not sure if she wants a 45 but ill ask her. Maybe my dad may want it. Otherwise ill let ya know what I hear

I've got a pair of AWAs. A 44-40 limited edition carbine and a 38 cal standard rifle. Both work just fine in CAS competition as long as I don't short stroke then. I shoot BP in both with no problems.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Archived