SASS Wire Forum

Bending the Hammer Spur Down

Deacon Stone Sass#58681

Or lowering the hammer spur. I'm looking to see who can do the work and what it cost to have it done? Thanks for the info.

Deacon Stone

Sent you a PM with pards info that does it.

KK

If they don't have any already done, Rosie's husband Choctaw Silver Wolf will do yours if you send them to him. Did mine and i'm completely satisfied!! Cheap too!!!!! B)

Not to throw cold water on anyone's enthusiasm here, but wouldn't that be an illegal mod?

I took a look at the Handbook (Page 4, Hammers section) and couldn't find anything that said you could recontour a hammer.

Replacing them is OK (SBH on Vaqueros), renotching them is OK, but bending them?

Or has there been an updated ruling that hasn't made it into the PDF version of the Handbook?

Not to throw cold water on anyone's enthusiasm here, but wouldn't that be an illegal mod?

I took a look at the Handbook (Page 4, Hammers section) and couldn't find anything that said you could recontour a hammer.

Replacing them is OK (SBH on Vaqueros), renotching them is OK, but bending them?

Or has there been an updated ruling that hasn't made it into the PDF version of the Handbook?

Shooters Handbook, January 2012 is pretty fresh.

You got a point there CWC, if it ain't listed then you can't is how I remember it. Could be wrong.

That barn door is wide open. With manufacturers creating their own version (running iron to name one) it's kinda hard to call that illegal. But whatever you do for the good of mankind don't mix bisley parts with non bisley parts,that would be the end of the world as we know it.

Page 3 Shooters Handbook

All parts may be smoothed, reprofiled, polished, deburred, or replaced provided they are not prohibited in these Covenants.

Wouldn't bending the hammer spur be considered re-profiling?

Stan

Its my understanding that it IS LEGAL because it is only profiling the existing hammer in a position of hammers that already exist.....like the SBH hammers. The only difference is in its width.

While we are on the subject, it is also legal to 'narrow' a SBH hammer to be the same width as the rest of the hammer body.

ALSO, if memory serves me correct, Lassiter does not BEND the hammers. HE cuts them and welds them back in a lower position. Mine are perfectly done and the cut and weld are perfect. Ya have to look REAL CLOSE to see where the work was done.

..........Widder

Page 3 Shooters Handbook

All parts may be smoothed, reprofiled, polished, deburred, or replaced provided they are not prohibited in these Covenants.

Wouldn't bending the hammer spur be considered re-profiling?

Stan

Don't forget to read the second paragraph of Shooters Handbook, page 3.

just saying.

I did my own and they came out pretty good. I say pretty good because I would do them a little bit differently next time, but more about that latter. I used a propane/oxygen torch that I picked up a the local Lowes store, a dremel tool and a small hammer. The hammer was the mistake. I first took some of the metal out bottom of the curve just in front of the hammer spur. This facilitates bending the hammer spur down. Then, using some aluminum angle stock to protect the hammer I put it in a vice. The aluminum angles also serve as a heat sink to prevent the sear notches on the hammer from getting too hot and loosing their temper. As aditional protection forthe sear notches I wraped the lower part of the hammer in cloth and wet it down well. During the heating process I kept adding water to the cloth to be double sure that the notches were protected. I then heated the hammer spur with the torch and tapped the hammer spur down with the hammer. Next time I'll use a channel lock pliers to do the bending. The hammer worked really well to bend down the hammer spur, but it peened the checkering on the spur down to nothing. I had to recut the checkering with the dremel tool and it came out as very crude. To me it seems to work even better, but it aint pretty! Anyway, after that it's just polish it up a little and re-install. Here is a link to some photos of the before and after.

http://imageshack.us/g/600/dscf4214t.jpg/

Btt I Emailed each and every person mentioned. I guess everybody is busy and they don't want any work. Is there anybody else who might do the work?

Thanks Deacon Stone

Patience Grasshopper. :rolleyes:

Patience Grasshopper. :rolleyes:

Sorry pard, but I love to work on my guns and I will work WITH another shooter on his/her gun, but there are too many ways of making a friend into an enemy for me to take in work for someone else, not to mention the potential liability issues.

That barn door is wide open. With manufacturers creating their own version (running iron to name one) it's kinda hard to call that illegal. But whatever you do for the good of mankind don't mix bisley parts with non bisley parts,that would be the end of the world as we know it.

The Duke carried a Colt made with a mix of Colt & Bisley parts..... If the Duke could do it............. Just saying!!!!!

"Reprofiling" a revolver hammer has been legal since the approval of the (modified) Ruger Montado at the 2008 TG Summit.

The regs re: Bisley hammers & grip frames have NOT been rescinded.

The Territorial Governors voted to leave those restrictions in place.

"Just sayin'" that some of y'all might benefit from a more thorough study of the "SASS Firearms Covenants" (SHB pp.3-10).

:rolleyes:

Or lowering the hammer spur. I'm looking to see who can do the work and what it cost to have it done? Thanks for the info.

Deacon Stone

SilverWolf, is a very on lowering hammers, his email is; jamessykes44@yahoo.com

Rosie,mine should be there tomorrow,Something for you in the box also.Thanks again.

Archived