SASS Wire Forum

Canada 's long gun registry is gone !

Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129

How about just, "Congratulations, Canada?"

And start your own "politicians are scum" thread? I'll read that one, too, without muddying the water on this one.

Cheers, Canada,

FJT

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Six Shot: I'd like to see the context in which these things were said. You know, context: the difference between road kill and a meal.

You're the "historian", you look 'em up. I know you can read, I just don't know if you can read for "comprehension".

You're the "historian", you look 'em up. I know you can read, I just don't know if you can read for "comprehension".

That's how I earn my living.

What it boils down to, is, I just seem to have more faith in America than others do. I figure that this country is worth believing in, and you can't claim allegiance to something without having a little faith in it.

Lone Dog, you say " Increasingly more and more denizens of the US are mind-numbed dullards who only care about American Idol, the NFL, NBA, etc and swigging brewskis and addling themselves with recreational and prescription dope." Those are the same people that make up this country to which you claim allegiance. You are loyal to something which fills you with contempt?

+! :FlagAm:

Sorry Canada pards but I won't step one foot into that country because of the ridiculous gun laws ya'll have. On that note I won't go to NY, CHicago,or DC either. That said, congrats on your small victory, you guys got a looooong way to go.

Rye

I'm with you there RM.

:FlagAm:

Then you'd better start digging your bunker. If the current stable of yabbos is the best the GOP can do, Obama's a shoe-in. OTOH, if one of the current stable of GOP yabbos does get elected, I may join you in that bunker.

Six Shot: I'd like to see the context in which these things were said. You know, context: the difference between road kill and a meal.

And now that you've hauled out your quotes, I'd like to see you demonstrate just how fragile our Constitution is, and how stupid you think our people are. And while you're at it, demonstrate exactly why you think the United States is no different from Canada or Britain. Here's starting point for you: British and Canadians historicaly have seen their rights as being granted by a higher power; Americans historicaly recognize no higher power than the people.

My backwoods guess is that higher power refered to would be GOD ,,,,,, Yep the same one as on the US coin 1976 25 cent piece LIBERTY In GOD We Trust ....

But never let the facts get in your way.... And if it comes to trusting GOD or You ,,, I'll take GOD ...

I for one believe that all RIGHTS are from GOD ,,,, not handed out by My Government or by Your Pontus ....

Jabez Cowboy

I hope your happy Jabez, :unsure: Ya make a simple little post and get half the wire wound up.:o

Good Job,:ph34r:

Way ta spread the Grump.:angry:

Will I see ya at Pulmers Gulch, "Pig Wars" in Victoria and SASS Canadian Championships in Comex this year?

For you nay sayers it's easy to travel back and forth, with guns, to Canada if you do a little bit of prior planning. If you want more info PM me

Hey COG ;

Ya comming ta Palmers Gulch ?????????

Surely hope'n ta be at all three ...

That Short feller comming with Ya ???

Jabez Cowboy

Hey COG ;

Ya comming ta Palmers Gulch ?????????

Surely hope'n ta be at all three ...

That Short feller comming with Ya ???

Jabez Cowboy

Yep TR got a knew truck and trailer that needs broke in.

You need to go to the Island !

COG;

I'mm planning another trip to Uganda ,,,, we are trying to get the village a source of clean drinking water ....

But I is hoping to put the shoots on each end ...

Jabez Cowboy

Uh, no. America was founded by God-fearing men who all recognized His higher power. Some were Deists as opposed to traditional Christians true but they all recognized the existence of a Supreme Being, i.e. a higher power than the people. The Bill of Rights was intended to affirm and guarantee our God-given innate non-revocable rights in the event we ever found ourselves facing a tyrannical government. And guess what ?? That is exactly what we are facing today. An out of control federal bureaucracy which needs to be reined way in. But who will do the reining?

Certainly not the current regime. Our present POTUS has only begun to show his true colors. He has no respect for the Constitution. Indeed he has shown total contempt for that sacred document and disregards it at will on any whim and does so with impunity. The sycophant lame stream media worship him and believe his travesties are wonderful. I agree that he looks to be a shoo-in for re-election.

50% of Americans are on welfare and collecting food stamps and pay no income tax so of course he has all those votes in his pocket. Hard to beat an incumbent with those numbers.

Yep. We are circling the drain. 4 more years of collectivism is not what this country desperately needs. Sometimes you don't get what you need but get just more of exactly what you don't need.

BB, believe it or not I am a decorated vet patriot infidel crusader and I dearly love my country. Some of its "inhabitants"(I decline to call them "citizens") not so much. They are a strain and a drain. No I have absolutely no use for those folks. None. They have no redeeming social values whatsover. 99% are anti-gun so they are my sworn enemies. And they all vote like you do (that is, as I suspect you do [for the incumbent]).

Check out Capt Baylor's blog. He has one of those "motivational" posters showing the prez standing gloating hands on hips, behind him is a bombed out burning de-nuded landscape of total devastation. The caption reads "My work here is done."

My backwoods guess is that higher power refered to would be GOD ,,,,,,

No, the British monarchy. You know, the one that used to be pictured on your money until recently. The one that your country repeatedly "petitioned" for additional rights, and sometimes got? For crying out loud, man, it's your own history.

Uh, no. America was founded by God-fearing men who all recognized His higher power.

That's been debated before, with nothing being settled. Give me an hour and I could find a hundred web sites on each side of the issue.

Our present POTUS has only begun to show his true colors.

Well, in that Declaration of Independence as Translated by Lone Dog that you pm'd me (and don't do that again), you cited several items, such as the TSA, which was instituted by someone you probably voted for. I know, you're going to blame Obama for how it works today, but then I'll bet there's absolutely nothing you won't blame Obama for .

Yep. We are circling the drain. 4 more years of collectivism is not what this country desperately needs. Sometimes you don't get what you need but get just more of exactly what you don't need.

It's hell when things don't go your way. Well, if the country can survive Bush for eight years, it'll get through eight years of Obama.

Brady,

Not many of us think Bush did a good job either. What scares me the most is our steady decline. Momentum can be a real bitch and we are very close to the edge. Maybe already too close and O is hard on the gas.

BB, just to make sure I know what you said in your last post. I never PMed you or anyone else on this thread. I haven't PMed anyone on this forum for several days. If someone PMed you I guarantee you it wasn't me. If I have something to say I will say it here for everyone to enjoy and have no doubt how I feel.

Yes I voted for W twice. I would do so again given the alternatives we have today. Sure he wasn't perfect no one is. But I believe history will be kinder to him in coming decades than folks are right now.

The Declaration of Independence doesn't need to be translated. I would never attempt such a sacrilege. It says what it says. Oh and for major sure also the Constitution does not need to be interpreted and modified for changing times. It just needs to be adhered to and respected. It is not a "living" document. It is set in stone, unless amended as prescribed within. These liberal judges seated for life who think they know better than the founders are way off base.

Brady,

Not many of us think Bush did a good job either. What scares me the most is our steady decline. Momentum can be a real bitch and we are very close to the edge. Maybe already too close and O is hard on the gas.

Frankly, I'm not that enamored of Obama, either. He's been a disappointment in some areas, but he's still the President and is owed the respect of the office. If the nation is in decline, and I don't necessarily believe that it is, then Obama is a symptom, not a cause.

America is changing, there's no question. I believe it's in 20 years where Spanish will be the predominate 2nd language and Whites will no longer be in the majority (with or without illegal immigration). It's certainly not the all-white, Protestant, middle-class neighborhood I grew up in and where I feel most comfortable. If that's decline, I'm all for it. Look at it this way, if you're changing, you're living, and any teacher or historian will tell you that the Constitution's greatest attribute is its capacity for change without, itself, changing. At very bottom, if the nation is heading in a certain direction it's by the will of the people; the only way to alter that is to subvert the Constitution in one fashion or another. If you do *that*, then you have corrupted the legal basis that supports the Bill of Rights.

Lone Dog: Oops! My apologies. That was Six Shot. I owe you a beer.

In principle, I agree with you. OTOH, let's be fair to the judges. They got the case because someone disagreed with someone else about what something means, and the judges have to decide between the two (or however many). There's no Constitutional amendment , for example, allowing blacks to pee in white urinals, and there were a lot of people who didn't like the direction the country was headed in when that decision was made. Maybe that was the onset of our decline.

Canada doesn't have a Bill of Rights, and almost no one outside the United States understands the importance we attach to it. Anti-gun folks wouldn't mind passing laws, and many claim the 2nd Amendment is obsolete, but I can't think of anyone who wants to actually repeal it because, the feeling is, if you can repeal part of the Bill of Rights you can repeal all of it. There are a few ultra-rightists here who will claim the Liberals wouldn't mind this, but ask them to come up with names and they can't. My own feeling is that this nation stands a better chance of becoming a Christian dictatorship than of repealing a piece of the Bill of Rights.

And before you answer, let me ask you whether you are aware of the process a repeal would have to go through?

Edit: Historical footnote: Since 1789, and including the Bill of Rights (the 1st 10 amendments, which were adopted immediately), the Constitution has been amended only 27 times. That's only 17 times since the Bill of Rights, and only 15 times if you remember that one of the amendments was passed to repeal another, thus canceling each other out. 15 basic changes to the law of the land in 223 years. And one final thought: Except for Prohibition, every single amendment has been designed to broaden the rights of the citizen, and the backlash against Prohibition was and still is so strong that there will almost certainly never be another amendment designed to restrict those rights.

Sorry for the rant, but I get so sick and tired of our right-wing "patriots" who insult our way of life by insisting it can be torn up without a moment's notice by anyone they disagree with. Our Constitution is a lot stronger, and our people are a lot smarter, than they want to give credit for.

======================================================

We'll see how smart they are come Nov. 6. A lot smarter than in '08, I hope.

Congratulations! Keep up the good fight. Don't stop. You won one battle but the "war" is not over.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

============================================

The "war" will never be over because the antis will never just leave us alone.

Congrats of your victory.

Whats the Bill of Rights have to do with what laws the President and the other law makers pass?

How is it right to tell me I have to buy health insurance?

There are many laws on the books I don't believe are constitutional of course by the time the supreme court is filled with bleeding heart liberal lawyers I will never win any of those arguments.

Who needs to change any ammendments to take away my rights then?

Far as I am concerned I miss Ronald Reagan. He is my President and always will be.

Vaya con Dios,

Duke

Canada doesn't have a Bill of Rights, ...

Actually ... We do. The right to keep and bear arms in Canada comes from English Common Law. The English Bill of Rights 1689, became part of Canadian law on our Confederation in 1867. The Long Gun Registry never stopped our ability to own firearms, it was just a misguided attempt to form a central registry. It was a total waste of money. I'm glad it is gone.

How about just, "Congratulations, Canada?"

And start your own "politicians are scum" thread? I'll read that one, too, without muddying the water on this one.

Cheers, Canada,

FJT

Words of wisdom...;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Badlands Beady ;

If you sight P Burton as a source for Canadian History ,,,,,,,,,,, You are showing your extreeme lack of Canadian History !!!

His version is the Spoon fed Libral revissionist version promoted by the Anti-gun bunch ..... That believe that rights are granted by the Crown ....

Most Canadians Believe that All Rights come from GOD and nowhere else ... And That was indeed what it used to say before ,,, new thinkers got their way ...

It took the sleeping giant a long time to awake ,,, but I do hope he is up to stay ....

It's really too bad it took things getting so bad before folks would stand-up and say NO and NO more Wishy washy libral Nanny State for us ...

Most of You thanks for your posts !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Actually ... We do. The right to keep and bear arms in Canada comes from English Common Law. The English Bill of Rights 1689, became part of Canadian law on our Confederation in 1867. The Long Gun Registry never stopped our ability to own firearms, it was just a misguided attempt to form a central registry. It was a total waste of money. I'm glad it is gone.

My mistake. Frankly, I never understood all the complaining about registries and such. The government already knows about most of my guns, they get called every time I buy one from a dealer. Besides, most people I know, know I own guns, it's hardly a secret. I did have to get my elder son to take down a picture he'd put on his Facebook page of the inside of my gun safe, but I don't advertize anything personal on the internet, certainly not the contents of my house.

JC, et al, If you want to profess hate for the nation to which you swear loyalty, don't let me stop you. OTOH, don't try to convince me I have to hate it, too. There are a lot of laws that get passed that I don't like, and my taxes are way too high. Even so, I don't believe that there is some sort of official cabal that faked the moon landing, harbors alien spacecraft at Area 51, assassinated Kennedy, purposely allowed or even engineered the 9/11 attacks, floridates our water for nefarious purposes, or seeks to reduce the general population to serfdom. I know most of these didn't make it in to this thread, but the point is, if the government really is guilty of even half of what it gets blamed for... Well, it just doesn't make sense and you haven't helped clear it up.

My mistake. Frankly, I never understood all the complaining about registries and such. The government already knows about most of my guns, they get called every time I buy one from a dealer.

Actually, all they know is whether it's a Handgun or a Long Gun...they don't know ANYTHING else.

I know most of these didn't make it in to this thread, but the point is, if the government really is guilty of even half of what it gets blamed for... (YES...continue...) Well, it just doesn't make sense and you haven't helped clear it up.

Good job Canada.

:FlagAm:

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Congrats, Canucks!

GREAT NEWS!!!

Mustang Gregg & Calamity JoAnne

BB

I don't hate Canada ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, As a matter of fact I have Gone to great lenghts to protect and defend Canada and the Honest citizens that call her Home ....

But I do not Like those that Come with empty hands,,, and the same NEW promisses of A NEW CANADA ...

If I will just hand over all control and my Rights to them !!!

Only to find their hand in my pocket ,,,,,on my wallet...

They came saying "you don't need guns or the right to self protection,Such an out-date barbaric notion,,,, the police will protect you"

Well when citzens need protection in seconds ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the police are just ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Miniutes away ,,, 10,,,,20,,,,30,,,,40,,,,50,,,,or they never get there at all....

And your found three days later in you blood smeared home by you 7 year old daughter returning from her week-ed ...

So I believe that handing over my rights and the rights of my Children and grandchildren ,,, for Quote protection offered by the Government is a fools choice !!!!

I love the Citizens of Canada to much to sit by and let them be destroyed by empty promises ...

And as such I have fought against those that would take our money and rights and re-distribute them to others ,,,, and the fight is not yet won !!!

Jabez Cowboy

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not".

So I believe that handing over my rights and the rights of my Children and grandchildren ,,, for Quote protection offered by the Government is a fools choice !!!!

I love the Citizens of Canada to much to sit by and let them be destroyed by empty promises ...

That's fair enough. Just don't project your problems with your government onto my country.

For myself, I believe that the vast majority of lawmakers and politicians are decent, honest and hardworking. Some of them may not be too bright, but that doesn't detract from their honor. I also believe that all of them, even the biggest idiots, are doing their best for this country, are perfectly loyal the the Constitution and believe in it completely (even Dick Cheney and Rick Santorum). I believe that mistakes have been and will continue to be made, both by the lawmakers and by the people who elected them. Finally, I believe that this nation will survive intact anything that gets thrown at it.

If that makes me a fool, at least I'm not as big a fool as someone who doesn't agree but still calls themselves "American."

That's fair enough. Just don't project your problems with your government onto my country.

For myself, I believe that the vast majority of lawmakers and politicians are decent, honest and hardworking. Some of them may not be too bright, but that doesn't detract from their honor. I also believe that all of them, even the biggest idiots, are doing their best for this country, are perfectly loyal the the Constitution and believe in it completely (even Dick Cheney and Rick Santorum). I believe that mistakes have been and will continue to be made, both by the lawmakers and by the people who elected them. Finally, I believe that this nation will survive intact anything that gets thrown at it.

If that makes me a fool, at least I'm not as big a fool as someone who doesn't agree but still calls themselves "American."

Dadgummit BB! You better start some hand wringin and tinfoil hat wearin right quick if ya know what's good for ya! This here op-tomism has no place on the wire.

Oops, just heard a helicopter overhead. Gotta go camouflage my bunker. :unsure::lol::lol:

What a weird (but entertaining) thread. :blink:;)

BB you are seriously deluded and need to ditch the rose colored glasses. The majority of average Americans are honest but only a minority of politicians. Congress-critters have been shown statistically to have a higher incidence of criminality than any other class of folks. Look it up and see how many have criminal records for everything from hot-check writing on up. No wonder Congress' approval rating is down around 10 to 15 %. Way too many are just flat plain not honorable and only looking to suck up the lard.

The greatest enemy of the American people is not some foreign power or rag-tag terrorist gang but the Congress of the United States rivaled only perhaps by the American people themselves.

Who was it Mark Twain or Will Rogers said something to the effect there is no inherent criminal class in America but Congress?

The greatest enemy of the American people is not some foreign power or rag-tag terrorist gang but the Congress of the United States rivaled only perhaps by the American people themselves.

That would seem to infer that the only way to save the nation is to remove both Congress and the American people from the decision-making process. I'm a little confused about how someone who can advocate such a step can claim to be loyal to the Constitution.

Who was it Mark Twain or Will Rogers said something to the effect there is no inherent criminal class in America but Congress?

And John Steinbeck said that when facism comes to the United States it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a bible.

That would seem to infer that the only way to save the nation is to remove both Congress and the American people from the decision-making process. I'm a little confused about how someone who can advocate such a step can claim to be loyal to the Constitution.

And John Steinbeck said that when facism comes to the United States it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a bible.

:lol:Depends on what side of the 'aisle' your from...

:rolleyes: He was wrong - It's the Bible and the flag that wraps our Constitutional Republic.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

An educated FOOL is still a FOOL ...

Jabez Cowboy

That may be, but when I say the Pledge of Allegiance before every match, at least I'm not lying.

That may be, but when I say the Pledge of Allegiance before every match, at least I'm not lying.

Why the he!! do you keep raging on Canada? You have give face to the term, "Ugly American". At least their current conservative government is trying to clean up the mess the previous liberal ones have made. And yes they have been taken down the path of European socialism by the same type of great thinkers that are trying to do it here. But they have taken the first steps to rectify those mistakes. Our chance comes in November. OBBO

Archived