SASS Wire Forum

Aside from the obvious

Of varmint hunting, what is the best use of a .17 HMR rifle. Or is there one?

I got this fixation with that caliber in a scoped rifle. I can't for the life of me think of a

GOOD reason to buy one. I know, sounds strange doesn't it.

What attracts me is that it is flat shooting, accurate out to 200 yards and won't break the bank

to shoot.

Down side, what to shoot beside paper? I am not a hunter any more. I don't compete and I

can't find silhouette game in that caliber, close to home.

Any thoughts.

I don't have one, Badger, so take my opinion with the proverbial grain of salt. However, I have a couple buddies who have owned the .17 and both got rid of it. They each had a few reasons, but neither one was that impressed. Again, just what I've heard.

Of varmint hunting, what is the best use of a .17 HMR rifle. Or is there one?

I got this fixation with that caliber in a scoped rifle. I can't for the life of me think of a

GOOD reason to buy one. I know, sounds strange doesn't it.

What attracts me is that it is flat shooting, accurate out to 200 yards and won't break the bank

to shoot.

Down side, what to shoot beside paper? I am not a hunter any more. I don't compete and I

can't find silhouette game in that caliber, close to home.

Any thoughts.

I had that same feelings. And got one. Shot a box of ammo out of it.

Ended up selling it at a loss. :wacko:

P.S. Price the ammo. It's not all that cheap.

I have a couple of friends that are hooked on 17s. They use them for everything, crows, chucks, speckled crows etc. The fact that you don't hunt limits the use. Based on that alone, I'd pass on the 17.

I am indeed grateful to you gentlemen. Your information has curtailed my lust.

I suspect that my fascination with the round and rifle are based on an emotional

acceptance of the hype of the sellers. The .17 caliber is awfully small and aside from

squirrel and rabbit hunting, I can not find a real use for it. I would like to shoot some

silhouette small bore so I guess I will fold my money over and put it back in my pocket.

I can fall back on my .22 LR. I sure don't need another gun, but then, it is about want and not about need. :)

In order to prevent irreparable emotional damage from changing your mind, you MUST go out and buy some other gun. I'm concerned about your mental health after going thru this, and buying a gun is cheaper than going to a shrink.... :)

I had a CZ and got rid of it too. It didn't do anything a 22 magnum can't do and which I already had. Ammo is more expensive too.

That said, if I lived in more crowded area where richochets of any kind were a possibility then it would be perfect for vermin control. Howsumever I'm not in that type of locale and don't have any fleas that big.

Jeez Badger, if you're just itchin to get a new gun go buy that 28 ga O/U. :)

In order to prevent irreparable emotional damage from changing your mind, you MUST go out and buy some other gun. I'm concerned about your mental health after going thru this, and buying a gun is cheaper than going to a shrink.... :)

Words of wisdom.

I think most of the others have summed it up pretty well, Badger. There are other cartridges that do everything the .17 will do...only better. I'm sure there are plenty out there who will disagree with me, but I really like the .22 WMR. I've got the Winchester 9422 mag. and, believe me, it's one sweet little shooter, fun to shoot, and cheaper than the .17. It's great out to 150 yards or a little less. But again...that's just my opinion.

:lol: :lol:

Louie, my wife has been worried about that for a lotta years.

Truth be known, I really don't know what I would do with another gun. I know, that is heresy.

But I have one that I have never shot, all have been sadly neglected and my basement is

full of reloading gear and range equipment, so much so, that I feel like I am living in a parallel universe.

OK, I am taking suggestions. What kind of gun should I buy for:

Not shooting.

Good looks.

Fit in the safe.

Won't give my wife heart failure at the price.

Make Okie jealous.

Keep the gun industry in business

Have good lines and no thumb holes.

adding in a few.

A caliber/gauge that I don't have.

A really neat configuration.

Any suggestions?

Unfired S&W Model 29 Classic DX, with full coverage engraving and gold inlays. Just happen to know where there is one just waiting for ya. Course the part about "won't give my wife heart failure at the price" may not apply here.

73 works as well, and for you 44-40 is the only way to go. I just thought the shiney brass might look better in your safe than blued and color case hardened.

No word yet on my 73. Smith said his supplier was expecting some in '2-3 weeks' and that was 4 weeks ago. I know that delivery estimates are often a shot in the dark on things coming in from Italy, but... I'm getting kinda anxious! I sent him an email on Thu, Jan 12 asking for status and have not heard back. I hate to be a nag, but....dang it...I want my new gun!

Unfired S&W Model 29 Classic DX, with full coverage engraving and gold inlays. Just happen to know where there is one just waiting for ya. Course the part about "won't give my wife heart failure at the price" may not apply here.

Probably correct about that, Jacknife.

Woman is downright hysterical about that sometimes. :lol:

73 works as well, and for you 44-40 is the only way to go. I just thought the shiney brass might look better in your safe than blued and color case hardened.

No word yet on my 73. Smith said his supplier was expecting some in '2-3 weeks' and that was 4 weeks ago. I know that delivery estimates are often a shot in the dark on things coming in from Italy, but... I'm getting kinda anxious! I sent him an email on Thu, Jan 12 asking for status and have not heard back. I hate to be a nag, but....dang it...I want my new gun!

Shiney things make me go into a trance., don't cha know?

Especially brass. Yep. .44-40 it the one.

Did you get a lolly pop with that estimate on delivery?

Looking at the Cowboy Chronicle I see that both Taylor's and Cimarron are

going light on the ads for the '73 and more to the '66s. I am wondering if

the boat that is bringing them from Italy is the one that is on it's side in the

news. You might have a collector's item, Grizz. A Navy version of the '73 levergun.

Or perhaps it will be a "water" gun. :)

BMC, The same guys here that like the 17 also have a rifle chambered for the .14 Squirrel. Cute little cartridge.

iffen you are going to the black powder side of things then go 38-40. Then you have the excuse to buy a pair of pistols to match.

Or go Walkers and buy a Henry to match.

BMC, The same guys here that like the 17 also have a rifle chambered for the .14 Squirrel. Cute little cartridge.

Is .14 Squirrel strictly BP, or can it also be used with smokeless?

Din't dismiss nuttin, Sam. Been gone most of the day with my stagecoach. Got home just in time for din din and then I had to watch TV with Captain Jack. He fell asleep and I came in to get on the comfusser. Now lemme see, I buy a 28 gauge O/U to hunt quail which is in short supply and not available locally, without lead shot so I will have to go over the hill to shoot it.. Yeah, that would work. :unsure:

Din't dismiss nuttin, Sam. Been gone most of the day with my stagecoach. Got home just in time for din din and then I had to watch TV with Captain Jack. He fell asleep and I came in to get on the comfusser. Now lemme see, I buy a 28 gauge O/U to hunt quail which is in short supply and not available locally, without lead shot so I will have to go over the hill to shoot it.. Yeah, that would work. :unsure:

Yep! Same reason I have a 20 ga O/U. Hey if you're needing a safe queen then theres the justification. ;)

No, what you have now are just safe princesses, they are waiting for a true queen.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I buy that 28 O/U they will have a queen, and a king. I will be in there with them and my wife will

be holding the door shut. More $$$ than I got. He77 I can't let that stop me....... :rolleyes:

Where did I put that credit card................

Hey Sam, how about this one?

http://www.gueriniusa.com/gun_models/maxum/Maxum.shtml

They offer a 28 gauge.

Badger, You must explain to your wife that not only do your gun purchases help the struggling economy, they greatly increase the value of yore estate for her, should you ever pass into that Great Mesa on the Plains. Tell her yore only thinking of her when you make these purchases. If that don't work, encourage her ta buy a new dress or shoes or something.... :lol:

Badger, You must explain to your wife that not only do your gun purchases help the struggling economy, they greatly increase the value of yore estate for her, should you ever pass into that Great Mesa on the Plains. Tell her yore only thinking of her when you make these purchases. If that don't work, encourage her ta buy a new dress or shoes or something.... :lol:

Ya know, Louie, I tried that kinda argument once or twice in the last fifty three years. The outcome has always been the same for me. BAD. Momma has an extensive vocabulary and when her ire is inflamed, it gets much more forceful and larger. Not only that, she swings a mean skillet.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I buy that 28 O/U they will have a queen, and a king. I will be in there with them and my wife will

be holding the door shut. More $$$ than I got. He77 I can't let that stop me....... :rolleyes:

Where did I put that credit card................

Hey Sam, how about this one?

http://www.gueriniusa.com/gun_models/maxum/Maxum.shtml

They offer a 28 gauge.

Works for me!!!!! It'll look good in that safe. Make others in there real jealous.

Here is another candicate for the safe. It also comes in 28 gauge.

http://www.gueriniusa.com/gun_models/tempio/Tempio.shtml

OR this one.

http://www.gueriniusa.com/gun_models/forum/Forum.shtml

Archived