SASS Wire Forum

Simple project

Grizzly Dave

So today, since I wasn't going shooting, I figured I'd tackle a couple of simple projects around the house...

Put up a new light fixture in the main floor powder room, and replace the sink and faucets in same.

Lets start with the light says me. So, found the right breaker and shut off the power, so far so good. The old fixture had six little bulbs, only two of which worked.

Take down the old fixture, easy enough. It was painted to the wall so had to cut it down, and discovered that the old fixture covered a nice rectangle of the old paint color that the new one won't. Oh well, a little paint touch up ain't a big thing.

Unpack new fixture, figure out how it goes up. Go to put up mounting plate that attaches to the box, well, who ever put the box is was a lazy good for nothing jackel, one side was just below the drywall, the other side was nearly half an inch above the drywall.

OK says me, the mounting plate screws to the box, and the screws from the mounting plate to the fixture can be adjusted in or out, no problem.

Except when they bottom out against the rim of the box.

Scratch bald head a while, get a knife and a chisel and relieve the box in the appropriate spot. Work on that way too long till I think I got it, connect wires, put fixture in place and have a time lining up the bolts to the holes, finally do, secure with cap nuts...

Dagnabbit all to snot, both sides stick out to far, the cap nut bottoms out before snugging up to the fixture.

Scratch bald head some more.

Well, those things are only like 6/32 or 8/32, I'll just cut them off to the right length. Out to the shop!

Take me a while to find the tool, but I did. It was awfully stiff, so find some oil and work that into it, works a bit better now. Take first one out of the mounting plate and thread the adjustment nut on so as to clear out any threads bent in cutting. It should thread into the cutter, but doesn't want to, ta heck with it, just slide in next bigger and cut. Nut comes right off, put back in plate easy as pie. Second one had to be cut shorter, concentrate on getting that right and forget to put the nut on before cutting. After cutting can't get it on. Work with sandpaper to clean up burrs so nut threads on easily, reinstall in plate.

Back inside I stack up some boxes to support the fixture while I wire it up, dang wirenuts don't want to work this time. Off the ladder find my bucket of wirenuts and grab some more, wire it up, put up the fixture, heck of a time lining up the holes, finally get it, cap nuts go down right and tight, but don't necessarily like how the fixture fits to the wall.

Ta heck with it. Install globes and bulbs, reset breaker, turn it on, all working well.

Wife looks at it, wow, sure is bright, can sure tell you didn't paint the ceiling last time. But I did. So she starts pointing out all the spots I missed. Guess I have more touch ups than I realized.

I think I'll do the sink another day, I'm tired.

Started a total kitchen remodel in October just after Senior Games. Got the cabinets all done the new counter top done. The sink however took three days and man those puppies are heavy. Working on the back splash now with a new floor to come before winter range (I hope) so good luck Griz hope it all works out to your satisfaction.

Murphy's Law... happens to me all the time. This afternoon better half task me to hang an outdoor clock/thermometer/humidity indcator on the back porch. Get the hole drilled for the screw as it's block/stucco. Get the screw in and danged if it didn't sheer off. Of course I couldn't get the old one out of the hole so I covered it with some stucco crap and drilled another right above it. Was REAL careful with the new screw... Job should have taken 10 minutes max ended up taking hour and a half. Oh while you've got the ladder out can you wipe down the ceiling fans? Oh well... least ways she lets me have my guns and so on... LOL

I thought I was only one that mumbled a ten minute job into all day affair. I just out an outlet in curling for garage door opener 3 trips to hardware store and falling of step stool later got new outlet new cord for opener and while at it hung a retractable ext cord. 4 screws 3 wire nuts 2 nails 3 1/2 hours.

Wildman

Ps. Good thing I don't do piece work for a living at this pace

Ain't no such thing as an easy job. In your case, one "easy" job leads to another.......

I was tired of the vertical blinds on the back slider not working. The kitchen would get really hot in the summer from the sun reflecting off the patio and you couldn't close the blinds to block it. One time while Uno was out shooting I decided to take the old head rail down and install a new one, using the slats from the old set of blinds in the new rail. Easy enough, right???? NOT! Let it suffice to say, after several trips to Home Depot for things like replacement screws for the rail mounting clips because I sheared the original ones off trying to torque them tight I finally got it done.......in about 4 hours.

Glad you were able to get it done, Griz. I would consider that a successful job!!

I put a new fixture in the master bath and two in the hall about three months ago. They look marvelous, lots a nice bright light. Took two whole days. Told my wife next time we put in overhead anydamnthing she has two choices: either she does it herself or we pay to have it dome by a professional.

As to the sink and faucets, good luck. I won't touch plumbing, either.

So today, since I wasn't going shooting, I figured I'd tackle a couple of simple projects around the house...

Put up a new light fixture in the main floor powder room, and replace the sink and faucets in same.

Lets start with the light says me. So, found the right breaker and shut off the power, so far so good. The old fixture had six little bulbs, only two of which worked.

Take down the old fixture, easy enough. It was painted to the wall so had to cut it down, and discovered that the old fixture covered a nice rectangle of the old paint color that the new one won't. Oh well, a little paint touch up ain't a big thing.

Unpack new fixture, figure out how it goes up. Go to put up mounting plate that attaches to the box, well, who ever put the box is was a lazy good for nothing jackel, one side was just below the drywall, the other side was nearly half an inch above the drywall.

OK says me, the mounting plate screws to the box, and the screws from the mounting plate to the fixture can be adjusted in or out, no problem.

Except when they bottom out against the rim of the box.

Scratch bald head a while, get a knife and a chisel and relieve the box in the appropriate spot. Work on that way too long till I think I got it, connect wires, put fixture in place and have a time lining up the bolts to the holes, finally do, secure with cap nuts...

Dagnabbit all to snot, both sides stick out to far, the cap nut bottoms out before snugging up to the fixture.

Scratch bald head some more.

Well, those things are only like 6/32 or 8/32, I'll just cut them off to the right length. Out to the shop!

Take me a while to find the tool, but I did. It was awfully stiff, so find some oil and work that into it, works a bit better now. Take first one out of the mounting plate and thread the adjustment nut on so as to clear out any threads bent in cutting. It should thread into the cutter, but doesn't want to, ta heck with it, just slide in next bigger and cut. Nut comes right off, put back in plate easy as pie. Second one had to be cut shorter, concentrate on getting that right and forget to put the nut on before cutting. After cutting can't get it on. Work with sandpaper to clean up burrs so nut threads on easily, reinstall in plate.

Back inside I stack up some boxes to support the fixture while I wire it up, dang wirenuts don't want to work this time. Off the ladder find my bucket of wirenuts and grab some more, wire it up, put up the fixture, heck of a time lining up the holes, finally get it, cap nuts go down right and tight, but don't necessarily like how the fixture fits to the wall.

Ta heck with it. Install globes and bulbs, reset breaker, turn it on, all working well.

Wife looks at it, wow, sure is bright, can sure tell you didn't paint the ceiling last time. But I did. So she starts pointing out all the spots I missed. Guess I have more touch ups than I realized.

I think I'll do the sink another day, I'm tired.

Don't forget to turn yhe power off to the sink, you wouldn't want water all over the floor.

Ain't no such thing as an easy job. In your case, one "easy" job leads to another.......

I was tired of the vertical blinds on the back slider not working. The kitchen would get really hot in the summer from the sun reflecting off the patio and you couldn't close the blinds to block it. One time while Uno was out shooting I decided to take the old head rail down and install a new one, using the slats from the old set of blinds in the new rail. Easy enough, right???? NOT! Let it suffice to say, after several trips to Home Depot for things like replacement screws for the rail mounting clips because I sheared the original ones off trying to torque them tight I finally got it done.......in about 4 hours.

Glad you were able to get it done, Griz. I would consider that a successful job!!

Tell me more about this hot thing of which you speak, Kris.

Glad I have a lot of company in the home repair business. :lol:

Tell me more about this hot thing of which you speak, Kris.

Glad I have a lot of company in the home repair business. :lol:

LOL!! Yah BMC, firther south of you we frequently, nearly daily in fact, get this big orange orb in the sky. It makes things bright and warm outside. During some months, it can make things really warm outside. Hence the need to shade the windows.

I remember the time the wife decided we needed a high neck faucet in the kitchen sink. "No problem," sez I. Three days and seven trips to the hardware store later, she had her new high neck faucet. Fortunately, I only live two blocks from the hardware store.

LOL!! Yah BMC, firther south of you we frequently, nearly daily in fact, get this big orange orb in the sky. It makes things bright and warm outside. During some months, it can make things really warm outside. Hence the need to shade the windows.

That is sooooo foreign to me here in the Pacific North Wet. My moss is, however, in full bloom, along with

the mildew.

I remember the time the wife decided we needed a high neck faucet in the kitchen sink. "No problem," sez I. Three days and seven trips to the hardware store later, she had her new high neck faucet. Fortunately, I only live two blocks from the hardware store.

Yeah, we got one of them, she bought it at Sams Club. Need to replace that thing too...

I'm too big to be laying under a sink, not to mention the plate and 6 screws in my neck, but I got more time than money or good sense.

Think I'll see about tackling that bathroom sink and faucet tomorrow, that one will be at least one trip to Lowes or Home Depot, thankfully I have both about 5 minutes away.

Archived