SASS Wire Forum

Digital Powder Scale

Back 40 #23910 L

OK, got some Cabela's gift cards for Christmas that are burning a hole in my pocket. Looking for a digital powder scale but am finding mixed reviews on Cabelas website. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

After many years of reloading, (about 59), I have owned and used many different scales of many brands, and both Beam Scales and Digitol. If you want total accuracy, the beam scales made by Ohaus, and distributed by most of the reloading manufactures like RCBS, Lyman, Redding, the older Hornady's, and Dillon, are the best. Their accuracy doesn't deteriorate over time if they are taken care of. They cost from $55 to over $100 for the best ones. Dillon's Beam Scale is a good one, at a bit over $50

Cheap Digitol Scales are just that. Cheap and many have poor accuracy. They require constant recalibration if you want top accuracy and over the years I have ceased to use them unless I'm loading shotgun ammo or other uses that don't require absolute accuracy.

Others may have had better results, but I have seen some scary things that have caused me to ditch the Digitols. My loading is done using a Triple Beam Ohaus scale that I've had for many years. If you bought one of them today, it would cost in excess of $400, but worth every penny.

Digitol scales do work, but if it cost less than $200 and above, their accuracy is suspect unless extreme care is used when using them. It might surprise you on how inaccurate they really can be.

RBK

Have used a RCBS digital scale for the past 7 or 8 yrs. and wasn't sure I'd like it compared to a beam scale like RCBS 505, but quickly learned to like it over the beam scale. Needs fresh 9 volt batteries and usually when charging cases, I dump the first couple charges into a ceramic cup before charging empty cases from a Lyman 55 powder measure and also check a final charge weight after completeing powder charges on the loading block. One thing I also like is the the Lyman check weights to verify actual weights on beam scale or electronic.

check weights;

http://www.opticsplanet.net/lyman-scale-weight-check-sets.html

Me like Stepinmud, had a Redding until that lousy Dillon electronic, learned to calibrate, dump the first three,.1 grain over 15 years,stil works perfect. Thing that annoys me, I bought another a few years ago from Dillon,thought it was going bad, now I have 2.

I haven't found any advantage to a digital over a good beam. Not what you asked though. I really can't help, except to save your gift card fore something really worthwhile.

Coffinmaker

Neva ... http://popular.ebay.com/misc-n-z/scale.htm

I have 2 Neva's and have used them for about 8 years. I just calibrated both of them tonight - accurate to 0.01 grams and in grains mode - accurate to 0.1gr

Every digital scale operates using a strain gauge. The higher the cost the more accurate the stain gauge ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strain_gauge

Common strain gage wire materials: Constantan (Advance, Copel alloy) and Karma alloy, which is more difficult to solder in the circuity

I have the Dillon one, I'm sure Cabelas doesn't sell this one, but I'm very happy with this one, now, let me explain, it passed the drop test, when done re-loading earlier this year, I have it on a separate stand, unplugged it, taking it off the stand, a wire got caught and it fell out of my hands and onto the cement floor from chest high, it fell into different pieces, boy was I mad as heck and was cussing up a storm for not being as careful as I am. Picked up all the pieces and put back together, plugged it in, waited 15 minutes for warm up, it still worked good, I used the weight that comes with it and it was spot on, couldn't believe it, called Dillon up and told them what happened and that it passed the drop test from chest high to a cement floor, the Dillon rep told me to go buy a lottery ticket with that good luck since it didn't hurt it. Now I did go buy another one just in case this happens again, always nice to have a back up I guess.

It passed the drop test which it is not intended for, when they say Dillon builds good products you can take that to the bank

All for now JD Trampas

I have the RCBS digital scale and powder dispenser combo. It's great! Works on AC power, not batteries, and in auto mode has the next charge ready before I finish seating the previous bullet. The only problem I've had is that, after programming all the various charges into the dispenser's memory (it holds a max of 30 different charges), I no longer need to remember them; when someone asks me how my cartridges are loaded, I never know. The single biggest advantage is that every charge is measured, not just every 10th or so charge.

Having said that, I also have a balance beem and manual measure, "just in case."

I have 2 digital scales and 2 'beam' scales. The DILLON is the got to scale and TUFF.... Blue is hard to beat IMHO. ^_^

After many years of reloading, (about 59), I have owned and used many different scales of many brands, and both Beam Scales and Digitol. If you want total accuracy, the beam scales made by Ohaus, and distributed by most of the reloading manufactures like RCBS, Lyman, Redding, the older Hornady's, and Dillon, are the best. Their accuracy doesn't deteriorate over time if they are taken care of. They cost from $55 to over $100 for the best ones. Dillon's Beam Scale is a good one, at a bit over $50

Cheap Digitol Scales are just that. Cheap and many have poor accuracy. They require constant recalibration if you want top accuracy and over the years I have ceased to use them unless I'm loading shotgun ammo or other uses that don't require absolute accuracy.

Others may have had better results, but I have seen some scary things that have caused me to ditch the Digitols. My loading is done using a Triple Beam Ohaus scale that I've had for many years. If you bought one of them today, it would cost in excess of $400, but worth every penny.

Digitol scales do work, but if it cost less than $200 and above, their accuracy is suspect unless extreme care is used when using them. It might surprise you on how inaccurate they really can be.

RBK

+1.............

HH :FlagAm:

Archived