SASS Wire Forum

SXS Shotguns

Curley Fryes

I have shot alot of shotguns and I can't make up my mind as far as which one to get. I do know that I want a SXS. I've tried Stoeger, Baikal, USSG, and the Wyat Earp Coach. Of course I want the Wyatt Earp, but can't afford it. I need help making up my mind on a SXS. What would you experts suggest for a beginner.

What would I suggest? Read the handful of other shotgun threads that are on the Wire right now. :lol: Then, go to a match and try as many as you are interested in. I'm sure you have enough sense to pick a model that works well for you. Listening to other pards' preferences really does little to influence my decision, but a gun that is utterly reliable, smooth to handle and quick into action is a wonder forever.

All the SxS's are simple enough for a beginner to use. You will BE a beginner for only the first few matches. Suggest you buy for what you want to become, not for what you are now. Unless you just love trading guns, then you can just start with whatever calls your name.

Good luck, GJ

What's your budget?

That solves a lot of your decision..

Do you want to go full blown race SxS now.. and not shoot but start savin' up?

or go lower budget now to get in the game and upgrade later?

Rance <_<

Thinkin' winter is here in these parts..

Could save all winter and be ready in the spring :)

What's your budget?

That solves a lot of your decision..

Do you want to go full blown race SxS now.. and not shoot but start savin' up?

or go lower budget now to get in the game and upgrade later?

Rance dry.gif

Go lower budget now to get in the game and upgrade later......you hit it right on the head.

Feller might want to see what folks who are winning are shooting....Evil, Nuttin', Fast Eddie, Colt Faro, Slick McClade, Rattlesnack Wrangler, etc. etc. then call Goatneck Clem, Johnny Meadows, Dirt Merchant or any number of others who know what to do to a Browning or an SKB and go ahead and pick one out.

Ain't that hard... just sayin' :D Life is too short to shoot 'boat paddle' shotguns. ;)

Go lower budget now to get in the game and upgrade later......you hit it right on the head.

OK.. we'll start the war.. :wacko:

Don't buy a Stoeger.. Nobody much likes them on the wire...

Everyone says they are junk.. Naw just kiddin' :lol:

Seems most say spend a bunch of $$ a get a high dollar ready to go..

Reasoning..

Why spend a $1000 on a pair of pistols.. $1500 on a rifle and

only spend $300-$400 on the other 1/3 of your equipment..

I personally have 3 SxS double trigger Stoegers..

Been shooting one (cheapest Stoeger available) for 7 years..

Lacey took it after it got broke in..

I got to shoot it maybe 2 years Lacey the rest..

Bought another one Stoeger double trigger (Coachgun Supreme)and I've been shooting that one for about 5 years..

Seems most folks say they are junk.. So...

I bought a new Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme to have as a back up for when one fails..

It's still in the gun cabinet.. ain't needed it yet.. as they say.. yet..

Stoeger and all makes have good reports and bad reports... They all can break..

I have nothing but good to say on the Stoeger...

and it's reasonably priced...

It'll be stiff brand new... you can take it apart and do a little polishing..

or just shoot the heck out of it..

I would stay away from the single trigger Stoegers.. little more problem prone.. :blush:

Rance <_<

Thinkin' off my box.. Flame on folks :)

Savage Fox SxS's are are decent option as well. Well made, durable, and overall a nice fit and finish. The fact that there are still a good many that were made as far back as the 1930s still in use is a credit to their craftsmanship (IMO).

I picked-up a Savage Fox B Series H a couple months back (24" bbl, double trigger) at my local gun shop for $350.00 and to the best of my ability it looks to be a pre-1950's version - and is in excellent condition. Fox's can be found between $300-$500.

I would love to have an SKB, but I'm very happy with my Fox. :D

The shotgun in this game is the most important gun. You win with the shotgun. Simple. If you think $1000 is an expensive shotgun you need to get out more. But, that said, what's the use of having 3 boat paddles versus 1 nice Browning?

You can also find Daly 500's on gunbroker (2 trigger gun). Made by Miroku- a lot of folks really like them. I wish I had taken my own advice 6 years ago. Been through a bunch of S/G's since then.

Working S/G (as in it goes BANG!) and a competitive S/G are two very different creatures. Of course, you're just doing this for fun and don't really care about your times. :rolleyes:

That's easy then. In my mind there is only one. Have tried the others. And kept going back to this one.

A good slicked up Baikal double trigger. (Don't like the entry level single triggers)

You will still be in the $400 range. And have a good reliable SxS.

Then when you are ready to step up. Go for the SKB or BSS. And have the Baikal as a backup.

Been shootin this stuff for 8 years or so and the shotgun was the most problematic for me. Started out with a hammer SxS, then a Savage 311/2another hammer SxS, then a match ready 87 lever, then a reworked 97, a couple of Stoegers and finally the 2 SKB's (by Johnny Meadows) that I have now. For one reason or another all of my previous shotguns just didn't work for me the way I wanted. Been shooting the SKB's for about 3 years now and they are the BEST money I ever spent on SASS shotguns. Each person has to find there own way and decide what is best for them. When you are at a match, ask to shoot some of the other types and styles and make up your own mind.

Good advice here. I'm on my fourth shotgun, and this is the one I'm gonna stick with. Started with a Baikal hammerless, traded that for a Baikal hammer gun, then went to an 87. Finally settled on the one I have now, a "race-ready" Cimarron hammer doubble from Nate Kiowa Jones. This is the one I plan to shoot for mucho years to come. Yeah, it was expensive, but it was worth it. As someone above said, save your pennies over the winter, shoot as many examples as you can, then buy a good one to start with. Lots less hassle...

Keep in mind that opinions are like belly buttons: dang near everybody's got one.

.... one trigger or two .. ?

....... hammered or boxlock .. ?

.......... one barrel or tw ..... already decided that ... :blush:

.............. I paid the extra and got two triggers and some hammers ..... ;)

.... one trigger or two .. ?

....... hammered or boxlock .. ?

.......... one barrel or tw ..... already decided that ... :blush:

.............. I paid the extra and got two triggers and some hammers ..... ;)

Two triggers, no hammers.

How 'bout this one?

The price is sure right....

And being a Nitro ya can shoot smokeless

Lefever Hammerless

This was made by Ithaca in 1922.

Heck I might buy it meownself.

or this:

Bakial

Stoeger

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Guest Dusty Feller, SASS #20010L

Curley, if you don't mind a couple of questions.

You want to shoot Classic Cowboy? If so then the TTN is a great gun and less expensive than the Wyatt Earp. With a hammered double, it is likely that the only place you will be "competitive" is in Classic Cowboy category.

A hammered doulbe is GREAT fun; it is just not as workable as the other shotguns; except in Classic Cowboy.

That begs the question, "Do you want to be competitive in Classic Cowboy only or in other categories?"

If you want to be competitive in other categories than Classic Cowboy, do not buy a hammered double.

It all depends upon what you want to wind up with and as.

I started with a Stoeger.

Went to an original 97.

Went to a slicked up 97.

Went to a SKB 100 slicked up by Johnny Meadows.

Went back to a slicked up 97.

Tried the 87 slicked up by Lassiter.

Went back to the slicked up 97.

Went to a SKB 100 this year, yet again, and am sticking with the SKB-probably, er maybe, er probably.

So, either buy a Stoeger wtih the knowledge that you will probably go to a Browning BSS or SKB 100 0r 200 up the road or "bite the bullet" and get a basic SKB or BSS and get it slicked up later, or go whole hog and get a slicked up Browning or SKB.

Whew, that was a lot!

Two triggers, no hammers.

Save your pennies, choke down yer pride, borrow guns until you can buy a ready-to-rock BSS or SKB done by someone you can trust. If no one at your club will loan you a shotgun to use until then.... CHANGE CLUBS!

Lets see here, not long ago at a big match. Shooter goes boom and then nuttin with his SXS. I'm thinkin what tha heck? He unloads and I ask whats up wid that? SXS would not fire second barrel. Dern has your mainspring broke? no trigger did not reset. Oh OK you gotta SKB (Something Kinda Broke)Yea he stated an this is my backup gun. I stated yea that will put a (Small Knot in ya Boxers). He stated yea tha (Stupid Kickin Bastard don't work right)!

Now tongue outta cheek He's a great shooter also, and I felt bad for him, not because it was a SKB but because it happened at a big match. Pard don't let nobody tell you gotta have an SKB SXS ta do good or just to have trouble free SXS matches for lets say aroun 14 years cause ya dont.

A baikal is my choice (always with two triggers of course) because thats what I started with an two triggers are faster on good targets. And after 14 years since I bought tha gun I've put in 1 new cocking lever from wear. I own 3 but thats so I can sell em all 3 an buy an SKB if I ever want one AGAIN.

Oh and as long as you don't empty a stoger by hitting tha latch and slammin tha barrels down one handed, you can probably be like one of tha 5 ta 10,000 others in this game that compete with one every weekend.

RRR

You funnnnnneeeeee guy, RRRR! Much more betta have 4 S/g to save up enough MOOOLAH for buy one nice shotgun! :lol: :lol: Lotsa people hate inertia trigger sets. I'm one of them. For some dang reason I can either 1) make them repeater double (boom/boom) or 2) make them not set. NO IDEER why... that's on real expensive clays guns, too.

Here's what to do: get on gunbroker.com. Put in a search for Daly 500. Buy the gun for around $500-600. They have 2X triggers, hammerless. Then take it to <insert name of favorite really good s/s smithy> have him chamfer the chambers, hone the cylinders, discombobulate the safety, cut the barrels to length, put on a new bead, adjust it to fall dead open, etc. (Around $300)

OR... find one (they're out there). Or learn to get as good as RRR is over the next 14 years so it don't matter if you got a wore out ol' beater or a gun that helps you get there.

RRR, you know anyone that DOESN'T have a broken gun story about every gun we ever shot?

RRR, you know anyone that DOESN'T have a broken gun story about every gun we ever shot?

Yea me with tha biakal, changed tha cockin lever because it got ta cockin all tha way at tha end of opening, not because of it breakin!

Just had ta throw in tha other post cause you were getting along soooooo smoooooth :wub: . See ya at Winter Range, lord willin.

RRR

If your on a budget I'd buy the Spartan (Biakal) over the Stoager. Try to find as old of a Biakal as you can. The old ones are better than the new ones. Though the Biakal looks like a half blind 12 year old russian kid built it inside it is better steel than the Stoager. That being said I know quite a few Biakal shooter's shooting guns with the barrels held together by a screw through the ribs because the ribs seperated from the barrels. So they really aren't tanks.

If you get started in the sport and you are shooting one or two monthly matches a month than about any of the shotguns named above will do the trick. If you want to get serious then put more thought into your shotgun.

I have a Stoger that I got in 2000; it required $150 to get the barrels regulated and a uniform trigger pull. Still have it and use it with BP occasionally; works fine. Have a TTN that's the antique model; can never remember to cock the hammers for the next two shots, duh! It has balance issues (very heavy). Also have a 30" Daly 500; it's the best made of the bunch with a Cody action job, but I need to cut it down to probably 23". Just have not done so as it is a very nice old-timer and hate to mess with it. FYI - Cody said that the internals are the same as an early SKB.

I just keep going back to the Stoger. Works for me.

HEy Church Key! If you want to sell that Daly please PM me.

Archived