SASS Wire Forum

Regional and State match residency requirements

Whiskey James SASS 85199

Howdy All,

Our TG returned from the summit and posted this as part of the meeting results.

"FRIDAY Open 9:00 AM

Hipshot-Results of the votes will be available Saturday morning and they will be posted on the SASS TG Wire along with the minutes of the TG Summit. Voting Results are listed below. It requires a 66% vote to be passed.

Hipshot-Regional and State match residency requirements, when a shooter has multiple residences, are the state if residence is determined by your drivers license. By law you can only have one drivers license.

Active military personnel use the home of record.

At Winter Range the winner must be American citizen. At EOT, the winner can live anywhere in the world."

My question or issue is with the Military using their home of record. My home of record is Florida, as that was my residence when I enlisted. I now live in Colorado which is where I'll retire. I hold a Colorado DL and have no intention of ever moving.

If I shoot the Colorado State match, I fully intend on shooting it as a resident. I'd just like some clarification on this if possible.

Thanks,

Whiskey James

Hi Whiskey,

A military "home of record" was originally mentioned as a qualifying residence. However, several folks explained how this might not be accurate as a residence address. Hipshot said he would check it out further before making a decision.

If you have any thoughts on the matter, I suggest you contact him using the following Web page, http://www.sassnet.com/contact-us.php?SASSDepartment=Customer%20Service

Regards,

Allie Mo

The way I read what our TG posted is that they'll use your driver's license since you're only allowed to have one. That means you're good to go for Colorado.

My beef is, what if a shooter keeps his driver's license from his home state for his entire career like I did? I was never once stationed in Pennsylvania but, I held a PA license for my entire 23 year career. That means I'd have had to travel all the way across the country to compete in my state championship even though I was stationed here in Nevada and called this "home". :blink:

Howdy All,

Our TG returned from the summit and posted this as part of the meeting results.

"FRIDAY Open 9:00 AM

Hipshot-Results of the votes will be available Saturday morning and they will be posted on the SASS TG Wire along with the minutes of the TG Summit. Voting Results are listed below. It requires a 66% vote to be passed.

Hipshot-Regional and State match residency requirements, when a shooter has multiple residences, are the state if residence is determined by your drivers license. By law you can only have one drivers license.

Active military personnel use the home of record.

At Winter Range the winner must be American citizen. At EOT, the winner can live anywhere in the world."

My question or issue is with the Military using their home of record. My home of record is Florida, as that was my residence when I enlisted. I now live in Colorado which is where I'll retire. I hold a Colorado DL and have no intention of ever moving.

If I shoot the Colorado State match, I fully intend on shooting it as a resident. I'd just like some clarification on this if possible.

Thanks,

Whiskey James

How can a homeless person have a home of record?

KK

I agree with Allie Mo(no e) Best to e-mail Hipshot. I suggested they use the current duty station as the home state (which it is until the next set of orders come through). As for drivers licences, I had an Oregon lic. for the entire 20 years I spent in the Army but was never stationed in my home state.

Why must the WR winner be a USA citizen?

Is the same rule in place elsewere in the world for major SASS matches?

Respectfully,

LG

Lumpy, I don't know but my guess would be because Winter Range is The National Championship and I would think to be the National Champion you should be a citizen of the Nation.Anyone could win but would not be the National Champion unless a US citizen.

To me it is like our State Championship, anyone can win but only a State resident can be State Champion.

Just my opinion.

Randy

Why must the WR winner be a USA citizen?

Is the same rule in place elsewere in the world for major SASS matches?

Respectfully,

LG

Howdy Lumpy, Taint seen ya on the GOFWG thread lately, still lerkin?

Refe your question, Me and a friend have been shootin the Canadian Regionals the last few years. As of 2011 it became the SASS Canaian National Chasmpionship. My buddy TR was the match winner this year but not the Canadian Champ, it would have been the same if it was still called a regional.

Dang I hat it when other folks types faster than me :angry: Makes me grumpy

It would seem to me that the same rules used in firearm purchases could be applied to the military.

A PCS (Permanent Change of Station) would certainly take care of Philly Slims's and others concerns.

For the 4473 we can use a DL or PCS for military.

I dunno on the military thing. I know a young man who is a resident of TN, pays his property tax there on his $170K house, yet as active duty military, has a SC DL, and his home of record is SC, though he hasn't lived in SC in 5 years.

But a year ago, when he was stationed in Germany as his permanent duty station, but deployed to Iraq, I'm thinking he'd have been legit to compete in SC, which was his home of record.

I would think "Home of record OR permanent duty station ought to be allowed for military, but make em pick ONE for any given year. Ya can't be SC and TN champ.....

The main issue is you cannot win two state championships in a single year.

Your drivers license is the simplest way to signify residency for most people. Even if you move and change your residency in a single year, you still cannot win two state championships in one calendar year.

The special situation with the military is not as easy to define. As Allie Mo stated, contact Hipshot and express your concerns as far as how to establish a residency rule for active military personnel. SASS wants to treat our military fairly and could use a little help from those that are effected.

How can a homeless person have a home of record?

KK

They are not "Homeless", they are "Avid Campers". How come when I was single I could not claim myself as "Head Of Household"?

KK, did Painted Philly sell your "pink" pistol or was it really hers?

LL'

I'll contact Hipshot as Allie Mo suggested.

Home of Record is simply the state of residence at the time of initial enlistment. It can no longer be changed.

I don't think it will ever be much of an issue, but it would be good to have it cleared up.

As Hacker said, our PCS orders generally get us residence status for most things.

You know, I bet there aren't that many shooters on active duty. It would be interesting to know how many of us there are. I know there are a ton of retired. I'll be dropping my paperwork in a few years. I'm at 26 years now and ready to call it.

Whiskey

As I understood the discussion at the TG meeting, driver's license would be the first criteria. But having been to several state matches ~ Colorado, Montana, Michigan & Kansas ~ match officials did not ask for "ID." They simply went by the address you put on your Match Application, and for most people this is the address where they are actually living.

If anyone challenged your residency, I'm sure a DL would settle the matter.

It is not only the match overall where this counts. Several state matches I have attended named a category winner and the state champion of the category, if they were different.

Buena suerte,

eGG

Lumpy, I don't know but my guess would be because Winter Range is The National Championship and I would think to be the National Champion you should be a citizen of the Nation.Anyone could win but would not be the National Champion unless a US citizen.

To me it is like our State Championship, anyone can win but only a State resident can be State Champion.

Just my opinion.

Randy

THX, I had forgotten about the "national-thing" with WR :blush:

Cheers,

LG

Confirm with Hipshot if you want to really make sure but he said driver's license first,

home of record or if active duty, duty station.

Since SASS wants you to shoot just make a reasonable choice of state and have at it!

If you win the match see the notes above to answer whoever is #2 who wants your trophy...

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

If you win the match see the notes above to answer whoever is #2 who wants your trophy...

This stuff never happens... ;)

I know of two cases where a shooter won two state matches in the same year. One was due to a move and the other was they had two houses. These types of issues are the seeds to this type of rule.

Both were prior to the rule.

Unless there was a complaint, there will be no need to check everyones drivers license. Usually when this comes up, the shooter is well enough known that the state of residence is know. If need be, it can be verified with their drivers license.

Here's another complication.

Before retiring, we lived in Washington State. When we retired we moved to Hawaii and have been here 9 years, but we return to the mainland for a couple months each year and travel around to SASS matches; what I call our annual SASS Safari.

Our Ford F250 and Lance Camper are licensed in Washington State. To renew the vehicle licenses on both our truck and camper each year, Washington State requires that all vehicle owners of record must have a current Washington State drivers license. We often renew the vehicle licenses by mail and my wife recently renewed her Washington State drivers license on line.

So, it looks like we might be ineligible to compete in a Hawaii state match as residents.

I'll contact Hipshot as Allie Mo suggested.

Home of Record is simply the state of residence at the time of initial enlistment. It can no longer be changed.

I don't think it will ever be much of an issue, but it would be good to have it cleared up.

As Hacker said, our PCS orders generally get us residence status for most things.

You know, I bet there aren't that many shooters on active duty. It would be interesting to know how many of us there are. I know there are a ton of retired. I'll be dropping my paperwork in a few years. I'm at 26 years now and ready to call it.

Whiskey

Whiskey IF you show up to The Sertoma Christmas shoot and Ball in Fairplay. We may be able to get you semi permanant citizenship.

Windy Ike

This was a problem?? Wow!

Actually it's been an issue in the SW (UT, AZ, NV, NM) several times in recent years. We get a lot of "snowbirds" or retirees that wander in and out of the area. :D

As I understood the discussion at the TG meeting, driver's license would be the first criteria. But having been to several state matches ~ Colorado, Montana, Michigan & Kansas ~ match officials did not ask for "ID." They simply went by the address you put on your Match Application, and for most people this is the address where they are actually living.

If anyone challenged your residency, I'm sure a DL would settle the matter.

It is not only the match overall where this counts. Several state matches I have attended named a category winner and the state champion of the category, if they were different.

Buena suerte,

eGG

Thats the way it works in Georgia and Tennessee. I have a home in both states but my drivers lisense is issued in Georgia so I shoot as a Georgia resident when I go to Tennessee.

Archived