SASS Wire Forum

reloading question

Darksider

I want to start reloading my wifes new .32 H&R Magnum pistol ammo. I'm using a 96 grain bullet and Clays Extra Clean shotgun/handgun powder. I need to know how many grains of powder would make a good load for her.

If anyone has any ideas, please email me or message me. Thank you!

Darksider, Hodgdon has no loading data for the 32 H&R using Clays. In fact, they have no data either for a 96 Pb bullet. But they have several other low velocity data for a 77gr LFP. Using Titegroup is at 745 fps which should please the Mrs

Clays has data for 45 ACP and 38 Spl's only

A good source:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

They do not list a load for clays - I don't think they had good luck with it in that caliber. I've known a few pards that tried Clays with the 32 Mag, but didn't like it as well as 231/HP38.

A good choice would be either 231 (or HP38) or Trail Boss for cowboy shooting.

I'll add that Trailboss seems to shoot "softer" recoil wise then other powders I have used

trying to get those 'cheerios'; of Trail boss in that itty bitty case could get interesting. depending on your powder measure.

I"d go W231 myself,it'll meter thru small apertures better I'd think.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

That's exactly why I don't recommend Trailboss. Too big of grains for .32 (& .38).

Hello the fire,

I have been loading .32 H&R Magnums with TrailBoss for a couple of years with no problems. It is nice to look in the case and see the powder. They shoot well and will take down knock down targets. I have not had any problem metering through the measure on the Dillon 550.

Chelsea

I use Trail Boss sometimes and 700X others. Trail Boss works great through a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I use the 700X cause that is the first powder I bought when I started reloading and I can get the .32s pretty hot if I need to for knockdowns. Either works well for me. ^_^

Hi Darksider,

Glad to hear your wife will be shooting...makes the sport that much more enjoyable for you both!

I have been using W-W 231 powder in our 32's and 38's for a lot of years now and don't feel the need to look elsewhere.

It gives very consistant results with little recoil. I use it with both 96 and 115 gr bullets from Island Pond Paul.

This powder has never let me down.

See you soon!

Brett

I shot 32 H&R Mag's for years at Hunters Pistol Silhouettes, and had extremely good luck with Accurate #7, although it was with 110 gr bullets. I would think that for our CAS shooting, Accurate #5, or Nitro 100, or W/W 231 would be the better powders for performance and accuracy. I would NOT recommend Trail Boss for this application. It WILL work, but there are far better powders than that for the 32 H&R Mag..

RBK

Archived