SASS Wire Forum

Bead blast finish question?

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

What blasting media gives the darkest finish on a stainless gun? Have used glass bead which does a nice job of dulling the high gloss but would like a darker finish like I have seen on some.

Sand cuts the metal. As in takes it off. A sandblasted finish will hurt your knuckles. A beadblasted finish is similar to a really fast little guy with a ball pen hammer :).

The sandblasted finish will mar easily. Little sharp edges, The beadblasted is more lasting. If you beadblast and spray lightly with a clear coat it will become darker.

The sandblasted metal will be difficult to clean.

I would not sand blast.

What blasting media gives the darkest finish on a stainless gun? Have used glass bead which does a nice job of dulling the high gloss but would like a darker finish like I have seen on some.

Aluminum oxide either straight or mixed 50-50 with glass beads. Sand is too rough IMHO.

Another option is soda blasting. This is commonly used on older cast furniture that has been painted over the years. It removes the paint without damaging the cast surface that has often air-hardened over the years before it weas painted.

Glass bead peens the surface of the metal, closing up the pore structure. Aluminum oxide etches the pores open. The etched surface can retain dirt and discoloration more readily but also provides "tooth" for a surface protectant or paint/ clear coating to adhere to. The surface will appear slightly darker than a bead-blasted finish.

If you intend to use aluminum oxide, 180 grit is what I used universally to prep all metal parts for the aerospace coatings that I applied.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I like to use glass beads over sand.

The abrasive sand cuts into the surface.

The round glass beads peen (pound on) the surface.

On some of our K-Vaqueros, I have done the topstrap area and front sights.

Mustang Gregg

I use #5 white sand at 65-75 psi. air pressure. After cleaning all the sand off and out of the pieces, wipe down with Zep 45 if the gun is SS. This produces a beautiful grey matte finish.

Deuce asked me this question... a mix of aluminum oxide and blast media is all our guys could think of - I also offered this solution, and can get a free sample if anyone wishes to try it...

http://www.epi.com/pages/stainless-steel-blackoxide

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I have a question. I do like the look of the matte finish that Nate shows. What does that do to the writing on the guns? Specifically, I got a reasonably good deal on a couple of Taurus Gauchos, and I would love to get rid of the large TAURUS on them. In addition to the look, would that do it? If not, IS there a way?

I have a question. I do like the look of the matte finish that Nate shows. What does that do to the writing on the guns? Specifically, I got a reasonably good deal on a couple of Taurus Gauchos, and I would love to get rid of the large TAURUS on them. In addition to the look, would that do it? If not, IS there a way?

Blasting won't remove lettering unless it's really coarse blasting media and shallow letters. If those are stainless guns the lettering will need to be buffed off.

Blasting won't remove lettering unless it's really coarse blasting media and shallow letters. If those are stainless guns the lettering will need to be buffed off.

How does the finished product look if done by someone who knows what they are doing (NOT someone like me)? Would blasting after help or harm the final look? What is the cost of the two procedures? Feel free to PM me, I tried to PM you, but it says you can't receive new messages.

How does the finished product look if done by someone who knows what they are doing (NOT someone like me)? Would blasting after help or harm the final look? What is the cost of the two procedures? Feel free to PM me, I tried to PM you, but it says you can't receive new messages.

Not sure what that's about but I'll PM you.

Deuce, they won't run any faster. Matter of fact, sandblasting may create wind drag.

Deuce, they won't run any faster. Matter of fact, sandblasting may create wind drag.

They will provide a contrast for my sight picture, which means I can acquire the sight faster, so they will kinda run faster.

Archived