SASS Wire Forum

Delete This Please

Not legal for sass,sorry Miss Mo beat me.

Not legal for SASS as Miss Allie and Pit Bull said... but danged nice shotguns. The old Marlin Co. issued a CYA statement and suddenly, all their old rifles and shotguns got labeled unsafe. If you'd like a shotgun for other than SASS uses, one might consider it. I got a 1917 in a trade some years back from a new shooter who had unfortunately bought it at just the wrong time, to get into our game... Worked wonderfully, faster to single load than a '97.

Ended up putting it to other uses after everything 'cept the '97s where outlawed. Sold it for $250.

*(When shooting an older gun, be sure to get it checked out and make sure it is safe to shoot. There are some old '97's in service, I wouldn't want to stand near when fired. I've seen Damascus barreled shotguns and pistols with unproofed barrels shot with smokeless rounds. Know that your vintage firearm is safe, know what to feed it! When purchasing a vintage firearm, a knowledgable gunsmith is your best friend. (Especially one who understands what kinda prolonged hard use we put 'em through!) It's every shooter's responsibility to make sure their guns are safe to shoot.)*

Gotta wholeheartedly :wub: agree with Ms. Mo.

The Marlin pumps were designed with black powder in mind. Smokeless rounds impart too much of an impulse load. Marlin has said as much. Black powder loads should be okay -- then again, I'm ugly enough.

I realize that they are not sass legal, but I was under the impression that they are not common either. I was speaking more from the "cool old cowboy era gun" than from sass perspective.

Agree with the negitives on the Marlin PLUS $500 is bout 2 1/2 times to much fer one--

I don't see one very often at a SASS match, in fact I think it had been more than 2 years since I saw one. When one shows up on a posse that I am on I feel obligated to do 2 things. One: Have a quiet friendly discussion with the owner and make certain that he knows that it is not SASS legal, that Marlin had advised to not shoot them and the basic reasons for it. Two, not stand too close to them when they are shooting. (Get behind a fat man)

Drifter

Like ANY OF THE ANTIQUE GUNS that are around for a 100 years or so, you need to use caution and good judgment. I have seen original 73s and 1st gen Colts and brand new guns blown up because of bad loads or bad gunsmithing/lack of proper care. All things mechanical will fail eventually, new or old. When you hold up ANY gun next to face and pull the trigger on explosive charge you better be damn sure you have done your best to insure your safety.

There are some smiths out there who gut the safeties out of shotguns. A good grip with your off hand is all that prevents disaster. The guns are faster but not safer. To each their own.

My Marlins have been checked by me. They are safe and have worked well for the 20 years I have had them. I have replaced parts when needed and keep them in good repair. I also own a '97 and like my Marlins, no gun hack has been allowed to defeat the safeties to shave off a few hundredths of a second on my score card. I like my ugly mug the way it is.

Ethan

I found a Marlin pump shotgun in a small retail gun shop here in metro Atlanta yesterday. I have no connection to it, just an interesting find. Contact me and I'll be glad to get you in touch with them. It has been refinished professionally (bluing and wood)at some point and has a crack in the grip. Priced less than $500.

I agree wif Boss Hoss, it should be priced at half that. They are fairly easy to find. I'd be a buyer if it was a Marlin Lever Action Shotgun... that's not SASS legal either. But, if you see a Merwin-Hulbert revolver out there, let me know first!!! :wub:

I have owned a couple of these Marlins and looked them over real good, they are a safe any winchester 97 and my guess is safer than any chicom copy. The problem was not in the guns. The problem is with who made them. The marlin company that made these guns in not the marlin company of today. Todays marlin does not want to deal with any law suits that arise from these guns that they did not make so they sent out the letters. I got one as I owned one at the time and had made an inquiry to marlin about it. When I called on the letter this was more or less their position. Why sass would ban the marlin and not the 97 is a wonder to me. Now please I know a 97 made in 40s is different than one in 1900, but you get my meaning.

WW

Willi,

You and others who think they are safe are wrong. I have seen the failure that Marlin was worried about. The shooter is lucky it only gave him a bloody nose and messed up cartlidge.

After that incidient, all the clubs in No. CA banned them. This was before SASS did so.

BJT was there too and was one of the Club Predidents who banned them.

Regards,

Allie Mo

My son will be glad to know his wall hanger is worth so much.

not

we shot it before we haerd of the warnings not to...at clay targets..darned glad it held togethe !! we just look at it now.

any club that allows someone to actually go ahead and shoot one had better have darned good insurance,they should NOT let them shoot it.

Archived