SASS Wire Forum

How many green VW's are in San Francisco?

Pulp, SASS#28319

I downloaded "Bullit" yesterday, mainly to watch the chase scene again. I couldn't help but noticing he passed a green VW beetle FOUR times! Must have been a lot of them around back in those days. :lol:

Great movie though, and truly one of the best car chases in movie history. I love the way it starts out very slowly, then away they go. That Mustang GT sure has a good sound, but on the other hand, I'm glad my Tahoe doesn't sound that good. :lol: I'm old enough to prefer quiet engines in a vehicle over good sounding engines.

I've heard it was McQueen's personal vehicle, but I've also heard the producers had purchased three Mustangs for the movie.

Here's a link to the chase on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-7IEPTAoTg

I downloaded "Bullit" yesterday, mainly to watch the chase scene again. I couldn't help but noticing he passed a green VW beetle FOUR times! Must have been a lot of them around back in those days. :lol:

Great movie though, and truly one of the best car chases in movie history. I love the way it starts out very slowly, then away they go. That Mustang GT sure has a good sound, but on the other hand, I'm glad my Tahoe doesn't sound that good. :lol: I'm old enough to prefer quiet engines in a vehicle over good sounding engines.

I've heard it was McQueen's personal vehicle, but I've also heard the producers had purchased three Mustangs for the movie.

Here's a link to the chase on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-7IEPTAoTg

If you watch carefully starting at about the 4:30 mark, you will see that there are multiple repetitions of the same segment of the chase from several different cameras, including onboard cameras in both cars. They go down a hill, past the green bug, past a blue parked bug, then a red bug parked in front of a white car. After the left turn, there is another white bug parked on the right.

EDIT However, not counting all the repetitions, there are in fact quite a few white or red bugs to be seen throughout the chase. It was the late sixties, after all, and the Beetle was in production for a long time.

Same car...different camera angles. In 1973, I counted no less that 200 VW Beetles from Pacific Coast Hiway to the end of the Peninsula at the WEDGE in Newport Beach Calif. Lots of left over Hippies were living and surfing back then. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Same car...different camera angles. In 1973, I counted no less that 200 VW Beetles from Pacific Coast Hiway to the end of the Peninsula at the WEDGE in Newport Beach Calif. Lots of left over Hippies were living and surfing back then. Just sayin'

Big Jake

No hippies, they all move to Oregon...More room to grow herbs...

Texas Lizard

Wiped out two classic muscle cars!

Anyone else notice the 1897 Winchester?

Been a while, but as I recall it was three engines they went through. All were Chrysler 390's in the Muskrat. Best I recall and oh boy when that movie first came out, every kid took off like a bat out of h+++ right after getting out of the theater.

The VW's have been replaced with Prius with bumper stickers touting D-bag.

I was there last week and the small airport had a Enterprise rental. I asked if they had something that wouldn't make me look like a gelding and they girl actually had a new Camero (Bright yellow. Ah yes, an American made muscle car (even though it is Government Motors). I headed into town to get something to eat and got dirty looks from all of the Prius pukes. :)

In the mid-late '70's when I was a LEO in a small town of 15,000 we had a gas runoff involving a yellow Beetle one evening. That is when I learned how many yellow VW's there were in town. I think we counted five. Lord help me if it had been in S.F.

Archived