SASS Wire Forum

Samson crosses The Rainbow Bridge

Not such a happy Valentines Day here, I'm afraid. This morning, we had to take Samson, our jet-black 10 year old Newfie/Chow/Bernise Mountain dog mix on his final ride to the vet to be put to sleep. He had fought a 16 week battle against lymphoma, and had been losing ground rapidly the last few days. It's a sad chore that never gets any easier no matter how many dogs one has had, but I can't say enough good things about Dr. Olsen and the other vets and staff at St. Francis Animal Hospital. They are the absolute best in this part of the country, and saw to it that Samson drifted peacefully off to sleep in our arms.

Samson was a rescue, and the most laid-back , calm and gentle dog we have ever seen. Judi wanted to get him certified as a therapy dog and take him on visits to nursing homes and such, but she never quite got around to it. He loved people and other dogs, but couldn't stand cats. He did great work keeping the local feral cats out of the back yard and over the fence where they belong! The urn with his ashes will join those of our previous dogs, Indy and Lovey. Jake, our rescued golden retriever, misses his buddy and has been moping around all day. So, in due time, we'll be looking for another dog, most likely another rescue.

Not such a happy Valentines Day here, I'm afraid. This morning, we had to take Samson, our jet-black 10 year old Newfie/Chow/Bernise Mountain dog mix on his final ride to the vet to be put to sleep. He had fought a 16 week battle against lymphoma, and had been losing ground rapidly the last few days. It's a sad chore that never gets any easier no matter how many dogs one has had, but I can't say enough good things about Dr. Olsen and the other vets and staff at St. Francis Animal Hospital. They are the absolute best in this part of the country, and saw to it that Samson drifted peacefully off to sleep in our arms.

Samson was a rescue, and the most laid-back , calm and gentle dog we have ever seen. Judi wanted to get him certified as a therapy dog and take him on visits to nursing homes and such, but she never quite got around to it. He loved people and other dogs, but couldn't stand cats. He did great work keeping the local feral cats out of the back yard and over the fence where they belong! The urn with his ashes will join those of our previous dogs, Indy and Lovey. Jake, our rescued golden retriever, misses his buddy and has been moping around all day. So, in due time, we'll be looking for another dog, most likely another rescue.

My condolences. It is never easy losing a member of the family.

Sadly we've often found ourselves with this parting. No matter how well prepared we are it's never easy. Our condolences to your family and especially Jake. It's hard on our other friends too.

Been since GOA last summer, and I feel another Dalmatian is in my near future, 'n' maybe an Irish Wolfhound too.

I remember what Will Rogers said that if there weren't dogs in heaven he'd rather go where the dogs went.

My condolances Greg. I've had to do the same thing more times than I care to remember. We have two rescue doge ourselves, an 8 year old St, Brenard mix and a 2 year old Golden/Springer Mix. Both great dogs but probably our last. At 63 I really don't want to have a dog or dogs that out live me. I'd hate to leave them searching for another forever home.

Bugs

I am so sorry... I know it is so hard, and you feel so helpless. The hard part for me has been the fact that you can't explain it to a pet. At least people do understand what is happening, but a pet, they don't understand, they just know they hurt. Hugs.. Deja.

My sincere condolences, Greg. We've had to put two of our cats to sleep in the past few months. They are truly members of our family - prayers up.

Greg, I've been there... I pray for peace and healing for you and yours... It's tough, but it will get better...

Vaya con Dios

Recently posted here about the loss of my old Boxer buddy Man In The Moon.

I can udnerstand if you feel as if a limb is missing and you are.

It is your tail.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts pards. Samson loved to curl up under the computer desk when I was using it. I now have a lot more leg room there, but I sure wish I didn't.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts pards. Samson loved to curl up under the computer desk when I was using it. I now have a lot more leg room there, but I sure wish I didn't.

I am so sorry.. if I lost my Rat Dog I don't know what I would do.... They do make you feel loved, no matter what.. kinda like a good spouse, huh?

Sorry for your loss! I still well up and it's been almost 2 yrs since we lost Toby.

my best to your family

cheyenne

Archived