SASS Wire Forum

Baikal Coachgun

Hoosier Bandit

I have a chance to do some horsetradin' for a Baikal Bounty Hunter II coachgun in great shape. He is a local dealer and I trust him quite a bit. This will complete my last gun I need to have to get started in CAS. What are your thoughts/experiences with these for what I what to use it for. It will be for CAS 95%. Thanks Hoosier (but tryin'ta change my name to Nash Villain) Bandit. Any help on the name change here on this site would be much preciated too.

If ya give it to a good smith who knows Baikal SXS you'll have a great SASS shotgun that will last you forever, and one that you'll enjoy shooting.

Outa tha box its a boat paddle and a dam poor one at that.

RRR

Yup, what they said about the shotgun. If internal hammers, a great entry level gun once you tune up a bit.

As to the alias. Give SASS Headquarters a phone call and request a change in your alias. I think it costs $10.

They are great to work with.

http://www.sassnet.com/Contact-Us-001A.php

(877) 411-SASS

(877) 411-7277

I will probably pass on the SG then. I am looking at Stoegers too but my local guy doesnt directly deal in Stoegers. Not to say he cant get one. I was planning on tradin a flat top acoustic Alverez guitar brand new off rack plus some $$ for some gun stuff. My local guy said he would work with me on guns, reloading equipment etc. I dont have any reloading stuff yet.

Howdy Hoosier - If it's a new external hammer Baikal then it's the real deal.

The old one had what looked like hammers, but in reality were essentally cocking levers for the internal hammers.

Ask your dealer friend if it's the new EAA/USSG MP220F. It will have real hammers and exposed firing pins on the back of the breech block.

I don't know what Alvarez guitars are going for these days, but swapping an axe for a boomer sounds like a good deal to me.

I have the same gun, Baikal Bounty Hunter II with external hammers. Not a thing wrong with it. Well made, reliable. Cocking hammer outside manually cocks the hammer inside. So what? It works fine. If you like it, get it. It's not as slick as my Goatneck Clem SKB but it's still a good gun. It's not like it will be the only or last shotgun you will ever buy. :rolleyes:

Thanks Grizzly Dave, will do!

Well Im still thinkin' about it.

Doc, around this house you gotta beat the little lady to the mail box and get it to the basement muy pronto!! Im normally faster than she is so she doesnt find a lot of my new toys...Now when the UPS driver cant get up/down the hill because of snow, he drops them off at the in(out)-laws next door. I need to have a talk with boy.

Thanks for the help pards!

Howdy Hoosier - If it's a new external hammer Baikal then it's the real deal.

The old one had what looked like hammers, but in reality were essentally cocking levers for the internal hammers.

Ask your dealer friend if it's the new EAA/USSG MP220F. It will have real hammers and exposed firing pins on the back of the breech block.

I don't know what Alvarez guitars are going for these days, but swapping an axe for a boomer sounds like a good deal to me.

Sorry, but I disagree. Even the late version is an Anson Deely style box lock converted to an external configuration. Even the side plates are fake. They cover up the hole they cut into the side of the reciever to attach the external hammers to what was originally the internal hammers (but now with the tops cut off) In order to get the new firing pins to line up with the add-on hammers and the primer they look like crank shafts. This gun is not a traditional exposed hammer SXS.

Bandit and Nate,

All this discussion got me to thinking about my Remington Spartan (a Biakal in Remington clothing).

Sooooo, in below "0" temps I trudged to the garage through snow to check. I opened the action, pushed on the firing pin where the exposed hammer hits and the firing pin protruded.

Are we talking about different guns? :unsure:

Bandit and Nate,

All this discussion got me to thinking about my Remington Spartan (a Biakal in Remington clothing).

Sooooo, in below "0" temps I trudged to the garage through snow to check. I opened the action, pushed on the firing pin where the exposed hammer hits and the firing pin protruded.

Of the external hammer Baikals, they made two versions. The first had what looked like hammers but were just cockers. They didn't actually hit a firing pin. They don't make that one anymore. The current version actually hits a firing pin. Neither one is a true external hammer gun. Both were converted using these external partadded on to their Anson/Deley style internal hammer gun.

My perspective of what works and what doesn't is based on how well a design holds up over time. An absolute mechanical truth is the more parts you have in a design the sooner it will fail. Simple is always better. That's one of the reasons you see folks moving away fron the 97 pump guns or why the Rugers are more popular than the colt style action. Too many parts to fail over the long haul. You can have the fastest gun in the world but if it doesn't finish the race who cares. These Baikal hammer guns aren't simple designs.

Bandit and Nate,

Sure sounds like the real deal that actually strikes the firing pin.

Sorry, but I disagree. Even the late version is an Anson Deely style box lock converted to an external configuration. Even the side plates are fake. They cover up the hole they cut into the side of the reciever to attach the external hammers to what was originally the internal hammers (but now with the tops cut off) In order to get the new firing pins to line up with the add-on hammers and the primer they look like crank shafts. This gun is not a traditional exposed hammer SXS.

Bandit and Nate,

I've gone one of the Remington Spartan SP-220F's as well. After looking at mine, I'm going to have to side with Nate on this one. If you look real carefully at it you can see that the hammers aren't really hammers to speak of. I think if it were a real external hammer shotgun, the hammers wouldn't be flat on one side and look rather like "add-ons". Compare an SPR-220F to a TTN 1878 and you'll see what I mean. Plus, the distance between the hammers on the Rem/Baikal are pretty far apart. Also, look closely at the firing pins. On the Rem/Baikal you can see that the firing pin actually comes out of the receiver, and looks to be rather oblong shaped. On the TTN, the firing pins protrude from directly behind the chamber and appear to be held in with a nut.

That being said, I still wouldn't give up my SPR-220F. Other than take care of the annoying auto safety problem, I haven't done a thing to it. Right out of the box it shucks Federal hulls without any problem. Plus, it was affordable. If I had or wanted to get a second coach gun, I'd look at the TTN, or even the CZ Hammer Coach SxS. In the mean time, I'm real happy with my Remington, and would recommend one if someone asked.

Archived